This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson Chandler Sign and Trade Thread

In the spirit of speculation, as that is what this trade forum is all about, and considering Wilson Chandler is in Toronto, lets throw out sign and trade possibilities with Denver:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=823nr4p

Toronto: Miller, Chandler
    Denver: Calderon, Barbosa, Alabi

Rationale:

Toronto: Miller wants to start - here you go! A pass first PG and solid veteran who happens to also have an expiring contract. Toronto gains cap space next year. Toronto signs Batum this summer. The search for a PG will begin.

Denver: Calderon is expensive but he would be the best back up in the league. Lawson is on his rookie deal next season so Denver can afford Calderon and Lawson together. Calderon and Fernandez are also friends. Barbosa adds depth on the wing for a team dealing with injuries to wing players. Barbosa and Nene are friends. Alabi and Ujiri are tight.

GET 'ER DONE!

So basically this is all about Denver doing Toronto "a solid" because there's no real incentive for Denver to do that deal.

Comment

We'd have to take on Harrington at least.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        So basically this is all about Denver doing Toronto "a solid" because there's no real incentive for Denver to do that deal.
        Why not?

Solid back up PG (many around here, yourself included I believe, continue to talk about how awesome Jose is as a starter for the Raptors).

Solid instant offense option on the offensive team in the league in Barbosa.

Both players have friends in Denver already.

Jose's contract combined with Lawson's ties up $12.5M in point guard salary next year which is hardly unreasonable. Both contracts expire at the end of next year.

Miller has said he is unhappy backing up Lawson.

WC can't be happy about being the 3rd wing behind Afflalo and Gallinari.

Denver can't be happy about possibly losing him for nothing in a couple of months should he receive that letter of clearance and sign the qualifying offer before March 1st.

Comment

I like this deal quite a bit.. Denver gets added wing depth for the playoff run, plus the guy Ujiri brought in. The Nene/Barbosa connection also makes a lot of sense - I'm pissed off that I never thought of it.

Let's work on my wet dream trade instead. The trade causes the draft machine to hang, however this should work in theory:

Toronto gets Nash, Chandler, MWP and LA's pick
          Denver gets Barbosa, Alabi and Blake
          Phoenix gets Miller, Bayless and Toronto's 2013 pick (protected)
          LAL gets Calderon

It's obvious why Toronto does this. This will net us Nash, Chandler and Kabongo (with LAL's pick).

Denver basically gets Barbosa, Alabi and Blake for Miller and Chandler. Simply for the reasons you indicated above but with Blake instead of Calderon. Blake is a cheap ($4M a year) backup for Lawson.

Phoenix gets two expiring contracts in Miller and Bayless. Plus a probable 2013 pick (Toronto will not be a lottery team hopefully) for letting Nash go to the team he wants to come to. This may be a hard trade for Phoenix - but Bryan can do his magic here as he has many connections with Phoenix. If there is any GM that could convince Sarver to get rid of Nash its Bryan.

LAL gets their PG that would be a perfect match in their system especially with a guy like Gasol.

Only downside with this deal is we lose cap space. So going after Batum is basically a dead option at this point. Unless we can do a sign and trade for Amir, Kleiza or MWP - which will be unlikely. Not going to be too upset by that if we can score Nash out of all this.

Comment

Given Marc Stein's report Andersen is on the block and he is 33 and owed $9.3M over the next 2 seasons with 3 other C's under contract for next year:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=84s3z4r

Toronto: Miller, Andersen, Chandler
            Denver: Calderon, Davis, Alabi

Rationale:

Toronto gets PG for rest of year. High energy C to back up Gray this year and JV next 2. Chandler.

Denver gets Calderon for reasons above. Davis as they are lacking at PF after Harrington and Faried. Alabi for reasons above.

New CBA rules require teams under luxury tax with no trade causing a team to go over luxury tax to be within 150% or $5M on any trade (whatever is less). Combined with Toronto's cap space this means Chandler could be signed for a starting salary of around $8-9M. I definitely wouldn't do that but I would offer $7M and see what happens.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Toronto: Miller, Chandler
              Denver: Calderon, Barbosa, Alabi
              Denver already have a bunch of good guards and I don't see them netting one more in a trade.

I would propose something like Amir or Ed, Alabi, and a 2012 2nd round pick for Wilson Chandler if the numbers can be worked out.

Comment

No sign and trades are possible once the season starts. In my excitement I forgot this.

Thread closed.

Comment

Working...
                X