Starting SG: Nicolas Batum vs. DeMar DeRozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting SG: Nicolas Batum vs. DeMar DeRozan

*Unless you can provide the French interview showing Batum does not want to play in Toronto, please don't bring it up. It has been discussed elsewhere...... repeatedly*

Batum is a restricted free agent this summer. Toronto will have enough cap space to possibly offer a contract up to $11M per year (I am not advocating such a move - just saying). Toronto would also have an opportunity to complete a sign and trade with Portland with, hypothetically, DeRozan going out.

Both Batum and DeRozan have been playing well of late - but I would give the edge to Batum.

February stats for DeRozan:

11 games played
    36.1 minutes per game

18.5 points
    .459 FG (6.5/14.3)
    .333 3pt (0.5/1.4)
    .794 FT (4.9/6.2)

3.1 rebs
    2.3 ast
    0.3 blk
    0.8 stl
    2.6 turnovers

February Stats for Batum:

11 games played (6 started*)
    32.9 minutes per game

18.6 ppg
    .500 (6.9-13.8 fg)
    .433 (2.6-6.1)
    .828 (2.2-2.6)

4.6 rebs
    1.5 ast
    1.5 stl
    1.6 blk
    1.8 to

*His starting stats are even more impressive: 49.5% FG, 40% 3pt, 20 ppg, 6 reb.
    At starting SG his stats are even better: 52% fg, 46% 3pt, 23 ppg, 6 reb.
    Keep in mind we are talking 7 games started and 4 games at starting at SG.

So what do you think?
    Batum
    60.87%
    DeRozan
    39.13%

I like Batum for now, but after he signs that big fat contract this off season he might be coasting. The sign and retire syndrome. I'm not a DD hater but this comparison is not close imo.

Comment

I am a Batum fan. A couple of other factors beyond the scoring stats...the strength of schedule Batum faces playing in the west and that Portland is a much better team where he isnt even the second option (full time??) while DD was the top option in Feb with Bargs out. Batum is also taller and probably has a wider wing span. And then we have defense.

Comment

I think Batum is the better player now and has a higher all-around ceiling. Batum has excelled in a more prominent role in international competition and seems to be improving, whereas DeRozan has seemed to have levelled off or even declined this season. As far as intangibles, Batum just seems to have that internal fire that DeRozan seems to lack (hence the nickname of 'Bambi' that he's earned from some folks here on RR).

The only concern I have is the potential bidding war for Batum that there is likely to be this year. If the price for Batum gets driven up too high, the significantly higher salary may not be worth the upgrade at a position filled with a young player that could easily realize his full potential when everything finally (hopefully) clicks for him. I look at the Batum bidding war with an eye towards that magical point of diminishing returns, where the investment becomes too much (especially if he coasts after the fat contract, like stretch pointed out in his post). I would definitely support a Batum-for-DeRozan S&T deal in the offseason.

Having Batum and possibly Chandler and/or Barnes/MKG manning the wings for the Raptors for the next 5-10 years would be fantastic!

Comment

I am a Batum fan. A couple of other factors beyond the scoring stats...the strength of schedule Batum faces playing in the west and that Portland is a much better team where he isnt even the second option (full time??) while DD was the top option in Feb with Bargs out. Batum is also taller and probably has a wider wing span. And then we have defense.

ps...one of the reasons I am a bit cool on Chandler. I'd like to take a crack at Batum who can play sf as well.

Comment

Batum. He's proven he's very consistent when starting. He also plays defense. Also, he can shoot. And dribble.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Batum has a better all-court game. Not sure there's one area I like Derozan more than Batum. All things being equal.

The caveat though is cost. I like Batum better than Derozan. But if Batum is $11mm/year and Derozan is $5mm/year, I might like Derozan more....

Comment

All that defense and 3 point shooting is worth the extra 6 mil
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

ps...one of the reasons I am a bit cool on Chandler. I'd like to take a crack at Batum who can play sf as well.
                  I always thought of Chandler as more of a 3/2 than a 2/3. Chandler is 6'8".

Comment

DeRozan is way too one dimensional, and if his shot isn't falling or he isn't getting to the line, he's basically a ghost out there. A useless one at that. We need more than scoring from him by now.

Comment

For some reason I am not a Batum fan. I agree with some of the other posters here that I see him as someone who will coast. He is not the young player I want the Raptors to take a chance on. Especially at the price he will command. He seems to be someone who benefited from being on a very good Portland team the last few years. With all of their injuires and lack of core pieces outside of Aldridge, once has to wonder why the Blazers haven't locked him up yet. I rather us develop Derozan and if need be use him in a trade to acquire another 2 or 3.

Comment

Batum hands down.

More polished offensive game, far better defender and can guard the 2 or 3, legit 3 pt range and has played in a solid defensive system since he was drafted.

Age is also not a factor as Batum is young and is starting to become more aggresive in looking for his shots.

No disrespect to Demar but I would much rather pay Batum more as he still has considerable upside.

I just can't see BC getting anything like that done.

Comment

Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
                          For some reason I am not a Batum fan. I agree with some of the other posters here that I see him as someone who will coast. He is not the young player I want the Raptors to take a chance on. Especially at the price he will command. He seems to be someone who benefited from being on a very good Portland team the last few years. With all of their injuires and lack of core pieces outside of Aldridge, once has to wonder why the Blazers haven't locked him up yet. I rather us develop Derozan and if need be use him in a trade to acquire another 2 or 3.
                          a) Yes he will cost but that is the nature of free agency for good players with upside. Gallinari got 10 per and in my opinion Batum has more game & upside. I think Batum could be got for about the same
                          b)Who are some of the other young available 2/3 combo players you had in mind (Chandler is one in the mold) and can be got without giving up an asset
                          c)Yes he benefitted playing in Portland. Isnt that an asset in terms of development/coaching? If the Raps got him he would be joining a team on the rise
                          d)The Blazers did try to lock him up but apparently did not offer enough according to his agent (we dont know the #s)
                          e)I would have as well that DD developed faster than some other members of his draft class but... Getting B as a f/a allows using DD as a trade asset...maybe even keep him as a 3 depending on other factors

He also has a confident demeanor as compared to DD at this stage and is just a better fit for this club in my view.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I always thought of Chandler as more of a 3/2 than a 2/3. Chandler is 6'8".
                            I would agree with that. It's just that with Wallace there at the 3 and Roy before at the 2 Batum was yo yo'ed between positions. He certainly seems very comfortable at the 2 with his skills & athleticism.

Comment

I like Batum, his stats are great at the two.

But Demar Derozan came into his rookie season, as one of the most raw players, and not a top 10 player, but a top player in potential. If we can crack at Batum, then get him, but start him at the three, but not giving up Demar for Batum. It's only his third season, give him time, he's become a better player in his last 2 years than he was expected to be. Let him damn grow, a lot of you are impatient and unless we trade him for a very reliable scorer with better potential i.e OJ Mayo, he's not going anywhere as part of this team's future core.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X