Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DeMar DeRozan.

Comment

I thought that Batum is a SF? To stay within the argument though, I wouldn't even compare the two. Batum is heads above DD. Batum without a doubt.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
        I thought that Batum is a SF? To stay within the argument though, I wouldn't even compare the two. Batum is heads above DD. Batum without a doubt.
        Portland has been starting him at SG of late to fantastic results.

Comment

well he's only started a few games at SG and i don't think he will be as effective there long term. If you start him along side demar it would be a lot more effective IMO

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            well he's only started a few games at SG and i don't think he will be as effective there long term. If you start him along side demar it would be a lot more effective IMO
            Exactly what I was thinking. Demar can slash and penetrate, not there? Kick it out and let Batum shoot that outside look. They way Batum plays is more of a third or kickout type offensive option. And with all the penetration by Crawford/Felton and post presence in L.A, there's going to be A LOT of kicking out. Batum may be a better dribbler, shooter and all that, but he just isn't able to create a shot. Love his defense though, wouldn't be bad to go after him if Wilson Chandler isn't here.

Demar is not the best dribbler, but he can create a shot (create is different from dribble). He'll take a dribble or two to the elbow, shake & a shimmy, or a turn, and fade. That's a nice shot and a shot only used by guys like Dwayne Wade/Kobe Bryant. Plus he's got the pullup. Demar is not a catch-and-shoot guy. He's a rhythm shooter, has to put in the dribble, or create off of some type of movement. Their style of play is different. Demar is a number one option without Bargnani, and Batum is the third option on this team behind L.A & Crawford/Felton. If we put Batum as the number one option on our team, I honestly don't believe he would produce like he is now on the Raps, especially being the fact our only real passer is Calderon. Besides Aldridge with constant double teams, Felton & Crawford constant penetration, there's alot of passing.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

of these two i would choose batum right now. i think that demar is going to pull through though. you cant have both in my opinion. even starting at sg you cant overstate batum' versatility and defence. a much more polished game then demar right now. demar has more upside if he could put it together consistently though i think.

Comment

I would go Batum in this scenario, and don't see why it is a Chandler or Batum but both. That said Batum and Barnes/MKG/Miller plus JJ/Kleiza is a good rotation with a minor addition FA wing and Forbes.
                Also remember that Bargnani would be the #1 option for a while with, insert draft pick here, and Batum being secondary options. Calderon and JVal would be very complementary to this group.

Comment

If there is a choice I take Derozen he's cheaper with his rookie deal still in effect for two seasons, and I think he will end up being a better scorer than Batum (I would argue he already is). I actually don't like the idea of picking up Batum at all, either at the three or two. I'm kind of at the point where unless there is a big name out there that is a clear upgrade, maybe we should just stick with this team as it currently looks.
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Batum would just make us mediocre and we'd have to overpay for him.

Comment

Batum would just make us mediocre and we'd have to overpay for him.
                      Like I said.

Batum plays like a third option. He's not taking over games, and if he does, it's because he's a good shooter, it happens, but not consistently at all.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Not even close as Batum is superior in every part of the game

Comment

Pizzaman wrote: View Post
                          Not even close as Batum is superior in every part of the game
                          right now he is. Long term DeMar IMO will end up a better player

Comment

right now he is. Long term DeMar IMO will end up a better player
                            How long you wanna wait? Batum is only a year older, and is miles better -right now-. Demar is going to be looking for Batum money when it's contract time, doubtless. If you could somehow exchange Demar for Batum as your starting SG, you do it now and don't look back.

But I doubt that's going to happen. Demar will hopefully continue to improve, because I'm pretty sure he'll still be here in 2012-13.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                              How long you wanna wait? Batum is only a year older, and is miles better -right now-. Demar is going to be looking for Batum money when it's contract time, doubtless. If you could somehow exchange Demar for Batum as your starting SG, you do it now and don't look back.

But I doubt that's going to happen. Demar will hopefully continue to improve, because I'm pretty sure he'll still be here in 2012-13.
                              he's not miles ahead. Maybe a bit better in areas other than scoring but thats it. You guys make this guy seem like god but the truth is he's not much better than DeRozan and he'll just make us a 40 win team, not to mention we'd have to over pay for him. He averaged 12.4 points, 1.5 Assists and 4.5 Rebounds last season. DeMar averaged 17.2 PPG, 4 rebounds and 2 assists plus a steal. Now you tell me who's better? if your talking about defense it'll improve for sure cause of dwane casey. In a season or 2 DeMar will be "Miles" better

Comment

he's not miles ahead. Maybe a bit better in areas other than scoring but thats it. You guys make this guy seem like god but the truth is he's not much better than DeRozan and he'll just make us a 40 win team, not to mention we'd have to over pay for him. He averaged 12.4 points, 1.5 Assists and 4.5 Rebounds last season. DeMar averaged 17.2 PPG, 4 rebounds and 2 assists plus a steal. Now you tell me who's better? if your talking about defense it'll improve for sure cause of dwane casey. In a season or 2 DeMar will be "Miles" better
                                Stats alone don't tell the entire story. Batum has never been anything but the 3rd option on a good Portland team, whereas DeRozan was option 1A the second half of last season and option 2 starting this season.

Reading all the various posts on RR, I don't believe there is any 'hate' for DeRozan, but rather concern over his regression this year and lack of improvement over 2+ seasons on a variety of core skills that are critical to success for a SG:
                                - poor dribbler, which prevents him from being an effective penetrator
                                - weak finisher; goes out of his way to avoid contact and goes for circus shot type layups instead of forcing the issue and going for the dunk and taking the foul
                                - weak jumper, which looks worse this season
                                - terrible 3pt shooter
                                - terrible defender

Batum stands out (as do players like Mayo and Gay) because he does the critical things so much better than DeRozan does - defends, dribbles/penetrates and knocks down the 3. I expect that most fans hope that DeRozan can improve, but he's shown no signs of it and he is now entering the back end of his third season. Now is defintely time to be alarmed.

Comment

Working...
                                X