Players I hope won't be raptors after 11-12 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Those guys are on the team this season because Colangelo is playing for lotto balls. Don't worry, they won't be back. Fans should be happy they're here this season, especially based on posts on this board heading into 2011 FA period.
    Isn't Forbes contract guarantee for next year?

Comment

I don't get it. Why are so many hating on Big Cat??? He is exactly the type of player the Raps' locker room has been sorely missing. We have a young team right now. We could use his leadership and toughness. Bring him back for the vet minimum. What's the risk?

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
        I don't get it. Why are so many hating on Big Cat??? He is exactly the type of player the Raps' locker room has been sorely missing. We have a young team right now. We could use his leadership and toughness. Bring him back for the vet minimum. What's the risk?
        Probably short memory of how the team was as recently as last year where we didn't have anybody to bang with opposing teams' centers. The best we had was Reggie and he was a good 3 inches shorter (at least) with no hops to make up for it. It's not as if we're paying the guy much, and he does at least (many times more than) what's required of him. I too would have issue if he were our starting Center, but nobody, not even BC, expects him to be that. So no, I don't get the hate either.

As for people I hope aren't back, I would put Carter, Bayless, Derozan, Calderon. Moving Calderon would mean BC has found a good deal to better the team (hopefully). Derozan because I don't really have faith in him, and IMO shouldn't be a starter. Bayless, Carter, and Butler...well these are obvious- 'cause they suck. The rest I don't mind seeing back next year.

Comment

I don't care how good he is in the locker room (which we don't really know he is, without being there), he's a terrible basketball player now that he is well past his prime. The Raptors will have Valanicunas as the primary C for the long-term. I would much prefer Gray as the backup C - he brings everything to the team that Magloire supposedly does (veteran presence, lead by example mentality, banger, tough defender, great rebounder, decent finisher inside) at a much more efficient and consistent rate.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I don't care how good he is in the locker room (which we don't really know he is, without being there), he's a terrible basketball player now that he is well past his prime. The Raptors will have Valanicunas as the primary C for the long-term. I would much prefer Gray as the backup C - he brings everything to the team that Magloire supposedly does (veteran presence, lead by example mentality, banger, tough defender, great rebounder, decent finisher inside) at a much more efficient and consistent rate.
            Who said Magloire would be the backup? What is the harm of having a dude (who was an All-star at one point of his career ) get paid the minimum and just be an older guy with personality to lead by example (with how you present yourself to the media) and by most importantly, playing D and rebounding whenever you can? Do not use the whole "we do not know he is a mentor" stuff because we do know. Dwane Casey respects him, as does the team (he was the one chosen to adress the fans at the home opener). Why not have a guy like that with Val coming next year?

Players I do not want on the Raps next year:

AC (the revival of "AIR CANADA CARTER" was never to be)
            Butler (just so people will stop talking about him as if he is the absolute difference maker in every game)
            Bosa (nothing against him but he is valuable trade bait and not part of our plans)

Comment

The lists.....

The "please god don't draft him" list:

-Definitely agree with Sullinger
              -Perry Jones
              -Terrence Jones

Don't know or haven't seen enough of other people to know anything. I'd be ok with Barnes, MKG, and a number of other options. I don't see the point in drafting a PF unless we get the #1, and many tweeners are busts.

-the "get them off our team" list:

-Barbosa: Captain Random needs to go. Can be a black hole, and his role is worthless on a rebuilding team.
              -Carter: He left his last leg somewhere in the summer and has been running on stumps it seems. Like his character, but really has no business getting NBA minutes.
              -Alabi: JV is coming, you can't get minutes on a bad team with no real C...sorry, I hope you get another shot, but no reason to keep you around
              -Magloire: He's given way more than what I ever expected, and has been a pretty good character guy in this attempt at a culture change, but his playing days look done. He has moments, some good games, but if we can upgrade we really should.
              -Butler......no words needed...and well, the same for Forbes, although I don't want to kick his knee every time he shoots a jumper.
              -Amir: Sorry Amir. I take Ed's side because of the cheaper, younger and more upside thing.
              -Bayless: Ok, we all know it now, SG in a PG's body, just as many of us thought. May never be able to start as a PG and probably not suited to being a backup if we get a young PG to start ahead of him.
              -Note: Not attached to guys like Kleiza, Gray, Calderon but would gladly trade them for someone as long as roster balance can be maintained. Kind of want to see JJ's year play out, I think everyone likes his D, so it's intriguing.

the "you want him here? really?" list:

-Boris Diaw: If BC decides to bring back his old buddy....well then I want what he's smoking.
              -Jonny Flynn: I don't want the Raptors to be the team that gives you a shot...I worry BC will try this out if there are no other PG options.
              -Anyone currently on Washington...dysfunctional young team if I ever saw one.
              -Shannon Brown: Dwyane Wade without the talent or heart...which makes you a good athlete.
              -Jameer Nelson: I've seen you miss, no, wait, not miss...not even see passes you should make to Howard too many times to want you running Toronto's pick and roll.

Comment

I'd like to amend my statement about Washington to allow for any trade that brings John Wall here that doesn't cost us Andrea (this season's version), Jonas or our draft pick this year.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                  Who said Magloire would be the backup? What is the harm of having a dude (who was an All-star at one point of his career ) get paid the minimum and just be an older guy with personality to lead by example (with how you present yourself to the media) and by most importantly, playing D and rebounding whenever you can? Do not use the whole "we do not know he is a mentor" stuff because we do know. Dwane Casey respects him, as does the team (he was the one chosen to adress the fans at the home opener). Why not have a guy like that with Val coming next year?

Players I do not want on the Raps next year:

AC (the revival of "AIR CANADA CARTER" was never to be)
                  Butler (just so people will stop talking about him as if he is the absolute difference maker in every game)
                  Bosa (nothing against him but he is valuable trade bait and not part of our plans)
                  I would like a guy like that on the team to lead by example for JV. His name is Aaron Gray. He does everything Magloire does, but is younger and better in all aspects of his game. Magloire would be wasted money thrown at a 3rd string scrub who is not in the long-term plans of the team.

Comment

I agree 100%. Teach Ed (and Val next year) some"toughness". Also can give you some decent minutes in a pinch.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I would like a guy like that on the team to lead by example for JV. His name is Aaron Gray. He does everything Magloire does, but is younger and better in all aspects of his game. Magloire would be wasted money thrown at a 3rd string scrub who is not in the long-term plans of the team.
                      every team needs big man depth at the 14 and 15th roster spot. nothing wrong with magloire eating our league minimum. id much rather a veteran guy not in the long term plans playing for a potential extra year then a kid who is moody. it isn't like they are going to give magloire pity minutes just because he is canadian. when injuries and match ups call for it you have a player who knows his role and accepts it. remember hump the rebounder who thought he was karl malone? we don't want those players here.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                        Uhhh what about Zack Randolph, Luis Scola, Carl Landry, Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, etc.?

Yes, I realize Scola never played in the NCAA but he's in the same boat.
                        1) what have any of them won?
                        2) If you want to make up a list of big men with big salaries who missed a lot of time due to injuries Brand and Boozer are right there

3) Sulinger is listed @ 265 I think he is even bigger now weight will be an issue already 20+ on Scola

4) Carl Landry: are we really comparing him to a lottery pick from this draft?

Nice enough list of players I see your point but if the Raps burn up their lottery on Sulinger it would be a huge mistake. Players like him are common. And with all their weight and banging expect and injury plagued career.
                        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Anthony Carter is one body I would like to shed ... 3rd PGs on NBA teams can quickly become primary backups with an injury, and AC doesn't have that left to his game.

Everyone else is fine, within a certain role - although moving Butler for another minimum wing would hurt.

All the rest will sort itself out ... If Bayless is on the roster, then obviously it's because he showed improvement and potential over the 2nd half of the season. If Ed and Amir are BOTH around, then it's because BC thinks they won't be hurting each others development.
                          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            Here's my list of players I desperately want to see remain on the Raptors next year:
                            "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              Here's my list of players I desperately want to see remain on the Raptors next year:
                              That's what I thought about the Knicks in 2003. I was a huge fan, but Thomas ruined the franchise. So in 2003 I decided I would concentrate on my second favourite team, The Raptors. I always said I would go back when they straightened things out, but I see nothing I like about them. I'm a Raptors fan from now on, and I think there is very promising pieces and a bright future.

I think you are due for a change if you like nothing on the team.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                                I think you are due for a change if you like nothing on the team.
                                Of course you're entitled to your opinion but I respectfully disagree. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to give up on it.

Anyway, I just think there isn't a player on the team that we desperately should hang onto or feel attached to. As far as I can tell, only Jose Calderon would have a shot at starting on a good team in the NBA. Everyone else would be coming off the bench. We have quite a few overpaid players. Bargnani has probably the most value right now; he's really elevated his game this season -- but we're talking about 13 games out of a 5+ year career. Is he a Jose Bautista, or an Eric Hinske?

I don't see a player on our roster that I would think "OMG, I hate Colangelo so much for trading that guy, he was sooooo good." That's not to say our team is entirely worthless -- I think there are a few guys on the team that have value, and if they're not on this team next year, then that means we traded him and hopefully got someone with equal or better value in return. Same thing for free agents -- there's no one I see on our roster that I'm thinking "OMG, if Colangelo doesn't re-sign this guy, I'm gonna kill myself!"
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X