• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rockets willing to deal for Bosh immediately

1. Houston, We Have A Target
    By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

BOISE, Idaho -- Here are the best (and last) dribbles of chatter from the NBA grapevine as collected from various executives, scouts and insiders who gathered to watch 16 teams play two games each in a four-day span at the annual D-League Showcase:

Some 40 days from the league's annual trading deadline, no one in Boise could say with any certainty that the Toronto Raptors are going to be willing to move Chris Bosh ahead of the Feb. 18 trade buzzer.

No one has a firm read on Toronto's intentions yet.

What we did hear, though, is that the Houston Rockets have made it known that they would be willing to trade for Bosh immediately … even if they don't get a guarantee they can re-sign him this summer.

That's the problem with any sort of Bosh deal at midseason. Even if the Raps do decide they want to make Bosh available now and avoid the threat of losing him without compensation in free agency after July 1, there's an overwhelming majority of teams that wouldn't dare consider trading for Bosh in February without some sort of assurance they could keep him.

But Houston is different.

Sources say the ever-aggressive Rockets are sure a half-season in Houston could convince the native Texan to pledge his long-term future to a city players love as well as a team that sits four games over .500 without the injured Yao Ming and the exiled Tracy McGrady. The Rockets also have the requisite stash of young assets, as evidenced by their success this season without marquee names, to assemble a legit deal for Toronto to consider … and without insisting that McGrady's mammoth $22.5 million salary has to be part of it.

You figure Chicago, Miami and New York also are on the short list of teams that would be willing to risk trading for Bosh before we get to the summer. Those are the teams thought to have the best shot at signing him in free agency and could inherit Bosh's Larry Bird rights with a deal before the deadline. None of them, though, can offer a better talent deal than Houston. The Heat and Knicks -- with their heavily stripped-down rosters as the countdown continues to July 1 -- can't come close.

The Raps recently have inched back to .500, just got point guard Jose Calderon back from a hip injury and still expect bruising forward Reggie Evans to start playing in the second half of the season after recovering from a foot problem to provide some needed toughness. So there's a good case for Toronto to put off any major decisions until the offseason.

The Raptors have long believed, furthermore, that Bosh will participate in a sign-and-trade this summer -- if he decides to leave Canada after saying repeatedly that he loves the place -- before walking away outright from the franchise that drafted him.

I nonetheless was advised this week to expect Houston to make a hard Bosh push during these next 40 days if the Raptors invite it. Or perhaps even if they don't invite it.

That tale alone made it a worthy trip.
    ESPN.com

Something tells me the 28 other teams besides the Rockets are willing to trade for Bosh immediately. It all comes down to if its doable or not.

Comment

New Bosh to Bulls trade rumor - WARNING: 10 on the ridiculous scale

January 6th, 2010 by Andrew Wamboldt

In a rumor being discussed on 670 the Score, the Chicago Bulls would send Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas, and draft picks to the Toronto Raptors in exchange for Chris Bosh.

Now the positive that this rumor has going for it, is that the trade works under the collective bargaining agreement. However, the positives of this rumor end there, as someone would have to be a fool to believe there is any validity to this rumor.

The Raptors would be trading for a scrub in Kirk Hinrich, who is shooting 36.7% from the field this year, the opportunity to give Tyrus Thomas a raise or let him walk, and a non-lottery draft pick, as the Bulls would surely make the playoffs with Bosh on the roster.

This would be the biggest steal in NBA trade history. At least in the Pau Gasol trade, the Lakers were forced to give up expiring contracts and a good young prospect in Marc Gasol, who was still on his rookie contract. In this trade, the Bulls get to dump a bad contract in Hinrich and another player who is up for a contract extension in Thomas. Talk about a deal!

Most things that sound too good to be true, are too good to be true. I think this is one of those things.
      DaBullz.com

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahaha.....very wishful thinking on somebody's part!

Comment

hmmmm .. it will be interesting to see what houston is willing to give up for bosh
          ~ Court Surfing ~

Comment

whatttttttttttt ! for bosh .. no chance !
            ~ Court Surfing ~

Comment

Aw hell no
              Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

Oh boy another ridiculous ESPN Bosh trade story... no way Bosh is being traded at or before the deadline especially with the Raps playing as well as they are.

Comment

LMAO!!! Mr. Wamboldt is drinking some crazy kool-aid!

Comment

I like it. That is ...keep driving up the price for Bosh. No harm in it and gives BC more options if he had to make a deal.
                    Imagine the rumors with a week to go!!
                    Re: If Houston, Shane Battier has to be in the deal (one of my favorite nba players )

Comment

Silly season has started early. I am convinced some of these are trial balloons being floated to elicit some official (and private) feedback to gauge interest or even a counter suggestion by someone related to the Raptors.

Comment

I'll wait until the deadline to see where we are in the standings and wait to see what Houston's best offer is before making my feelings known about this.
                        RR OG

Comment

Replace Hinrich for Rose and I'm SOLD!!
                          RR OG

Comment

I would expect Battier and Chuck Hayes in return.

Comment

I would do this trade & money wise it works!

Bosh
                              Jose
                              Banks
                              POB
                              Wright
                              Rasho
                              Evans

T-Mac
                              Scola
                              Landry
                              Brooks
                              Battier

Imagin:

Brooks/Jack/Beli
                              DeRozan/Battier/T-MAC/Beli
                              Turk/Battier/T-MAC/Weems
                              Scola/Landry/Johnson/Turk
                              AB/Scola/Johnson/Landry

Wow just Wow & with T-Mac comming off the books we can resign everyone
                              Waiting for DeRozan to windmill dunk in a game!

Comment

Bosh will not be traded this season period! The US media looks at Bosh as a star entering free agency on a sub-par team, so that must mean he is on the block. Colangelo has said that they will most likely wait and see at the end of the season. They will try to resign him, if not they will do a sign and trade. So they will not get nothing for him if he leaves. Bosh will not walk away from an extra year of contract and more money just to screw the raptors over. Hell even T-mac did a sign and trade. And the participating team on a S&T will have to give up something of value according to cap rules to take a max money player back. Bosh puts fans in the seats so the organization will just run him out and deal with what happens in the offseason.
                                limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

Working...
                                X