Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitter ablaze with the latest Clipper PR blunder

http://clipperdarrell.com/2012/02/29/i-am-devastated/

It is with great sadness that I must report to all those in NBA NATION that I have been told by Clipper management they no longer want me to be Clipper Darrell, a name that was given to me by the media because of my unwavering support and team spirit. I am devastated!!!!
    I have been a season ticket holder for over a decade and a FAN for over 15 years and have dedicated a major part of my life to support the Clipper organization and it’s players no matter what the season’s outcome. Over the years (400 home games) I have gone to great lengths to show my appreciation and loyalty in my attire, the car I drive and in my very own home. I’ve taken seriously the mantra of being “Clipper Darrell” in performing community service, mentoring young children and my participation in outreach programs. I’ve appreciated the struggles of the team to overcome obstacles as I’ve done in my life. I felt vindicated for all the years we as Clipper fans have gone through trials and tribulations and NOW we have a team that can win it all. Yesterday was the hardest day of my life, I felt powerless as a fan, as I was stripped of my identity however, no one can take away my heart and the love I have for my team!
    The Clippers might be turning in to winners on the court. Unfortunately the people running the show remain losers.

Well, it's obvious that they didn't care for 15 years cause the team was terrible and this guy gave them some of the little good publicity they had. Now, that the team is good and they want to capitalize on the goodwill, they don't want someone using their name without paying for it. I get that. But why not co-opt the thing? Work out some sort of nominal licensing fee with the dude. All they've done is harm their brand. Again. The Clippers might have the worst PR and brand management in professional sports.

Comment

In the interest of fairness, the Clippers offer their take:

“The Clippers have done absolutely nothing wrong or inappropriate as it concerns Darrell Bailey. His claims are absurd and unfounded. He has never been an employee or representative of the Clippers organization, and therefore cannot be terminated. The Clippers have never engaged Mr. Bailey’s services. When he has been in need, the organization has regularly provided him a seat for games. No good deed goes unpunished.

We have had multiple conversations with him concerning his inappropriate use of the Clippers’ team name and trademark for his own unmonitored commercial gain. We have spoken to him repeatedly about his desire to make public appearances in ways which improperly suggest that he is officially affiliated with our organization. In all cases and over a long period of time, he has consistently rejected our efforts to operate in consultation.

In a conversation with an authoritative and tenured Clippers’ executive last week, he was asked again to either consult with the team on all public appearances and/or commercial ventures, or stop undertaking those opportunities representing himself inappropriately. His response was an offer to stop representing himself commercially in that way and his offer was accepted in principle.

The next thing we heard was the baseless claims he has made today and the ensuing media rush to judgment.
      We hold all of our fans in the highest esteem and we have been patient and generous with Mr. Bailey. He has not returned our support in an honorable way. He is not actually a fan of the Clippers, but a fan of what he can make off of the Clippers. We are no longer interested in that kind of association with him, and that is why we accepted his offer to remove our team name from his stage name.”

Posted in: NBA News • Clipper Darrell

Source

Comment

Someone really could make a lot of money writing a book about Donald Sterling's 'blunders'.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/sterli...opinions-29983

So the next time you hire a hooker, make sure you spring for the complimentary 'hooker magic 8-ball' for any personal or professional matters you might be struggling to make a decision on.

Comment

Clipper Darrell is Back

A few weeks back, Darrell Bailey, a long-time Clippers fan who goes by “Clipper Darrell” was told to drop that name by the franchise, which felt that he was profiting off of the name.

However, as ESPNLosAngeles’ Arash Markazi tells us, the two sides have come “to an agreement” which includes him notifying the team of any and all appearances he’ll be making as “Clipper Darrell.”
          http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-are...w-major-league

For anyone losing sleep, do not worry.... Clipper Darrell is back!

Comment

Oh thank God...

those were some tough weeks...

In all seriousness, I have no clue why they would ever get rid of him in the first place.

What good would come out of it? Silly.
            Last edited by Red and White; Mon Mar 19, 2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
              Oh thank God...

those were some tough weeks...

In all seriousness, I have no clue why they would ever get rid of him in the first place.

What good would come out of it? Silly.
              Eh,
              that name by the franchise, which felt that he was profiting off of the name.

Comment

Oh I totally understand what they said the reason was but it still seems a tad strange to me. There are bigger fish to fry no? The only thing that would really make sense is if they were not comfortable having someone who they do not endorse what so ever be associated with the clipper name. If he said something/did some thing really bad and it picked up on twitter he would be referred to as "Clipper Darrell".

I don't know...saying he was profiting from the name seems like fussing over something rather insignificant.

But then again I have no idea what they actual situation was...

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                  Oh I totally understand what they said the reason was but it still seems a tad strange to me. There are bigger fish to fry no? The only thing that would really make sense is if they were not comfortable having someone who they do not endorse what so ever be associated with the clipper name. If he said something/did some thing really bad and it picked up on twitter he would be referred to as "Clipper Darrell".

I don't know...saying he was profiting from the name seems like fussing over something rather insignificant.

But then again I have no idea what they actual situation was...
                  My issue was they ignored him for years as the team toiled in the basement of the standings and the gutter of popular opinion. He was one of the few positives associated with the Clippers.

The Clippers suddenly are a playoff team and they take exception?

I do understand them protecting his brand, but he has been doing this for YEARS.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    My issue was they ignored him for years as the team toiled in the basement of the standings and the gutter of popular opinion. He was one of the few positives associated with the Clippers.

The Clippers suddenly are a playoff team and they take exception?

I do understand them protecting his brand, but he has been doing this for YEARS.
                    Really is brutal PR on Clippers part. They're just clueless.

He should have looked to trademark the name, no? Is that possible? Lol

Comment

Working...
                    X