Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 5th - Orlando Magic: SVG says progress clear to see in Toronto

ESPN Preview:

Dwight Howard remains the centerpiece of the Orlando Magic, but 3-point shooting is also proving key to their success.

Coming off one of their most impressive offensive performances of the season, the Magic visit the Toronto Raptors on Monday night to open a road trip of three games in four days.

Howard, a six-time All-Star, leads Orlando (24-14) with 20.4 points per game, and his 15.0 rebounds lead the NBA.

While their center continues to dominate in the paint, the Magic are also now a threat from beyond the arc. They've attempted a league-high 1,003 3-pointers, hitting 39.0 percent of them.

J.J. Redick, Ryan Anderson and Chris Duhon are all shooting at least 42.0 percent from 3-point range.

That trio made 9 of 15 3-point attempts Saturday, when Orlando went 14 of 27 from beyond the arc in a 114-98 victory over Milwaukee. It was the Magic's second-highest scoring output of the season.

"We're a tough team to guard, because you have to pick your poison," said Anderson, who hit 3 of 6 3-pointers and scored 16 points. "If you want to double-team on Dwight (Howard) and take him out of the game, you're going to leave open one of our shooters."

Orlando made 12 of 27 3-point attempts in their first meeting of the season with Toronto (12-25) on Jan. 1, en route to a 102-96 home victory. Anderson led the way with 24 points -- 15 of them coming on 3-pointers.

Howard added 19 points and 15 rebounds in that contest. He's averaging 29.5 points and 11.5 rebounds over his last six visits to Air Canada Centre.

He enters this meeting looking to build on a pair of impressive performances. Howard had 28 points and 14 boards Saturday, two days after scoring 33 in a 105-102 loss to Oklahoma City.

The Raptors, 6-12 at home, are trying to record back-to-back victories for the third time this season. They haven't accomplished the feat since Jan. 24 and 25, dropping 12 of 18 games in that span.

A strong defensive effort spurred Toronto to an 83-75 win over Golden State on Sunday. The Raptors held the Warriors to 28 points in the second half to rally from a nine-point deficit.

"I told them the game is about frustration," coach Dwane Casey said. "It's how we fight through this. Feeling sorry for ourselves, fatigue, it's not that important. What's important is how we approach our job as NBA players. They came out and really faced the challenge."

DeMar DeRozan continues to be vital for the Raptors' offense while Andrea Bargnani nears a return from a calf injury. DeRozan scored 25 points against the Warriors, two days after he was held to four in a 102-99 loss to Memphis.

DeRozan is averaging 19.0 points over his last five meetings with Orlando. He finished with 17 in the New Year's Day loss.

Orlando, which has won five of its last seven road games, continues its trip with games at Charlotte on Tuesday and Eastern Conference-leading Chicago on Thursday.

Versus Memphis the game plan was to pack the paint.

Versus Golden State the game plan was to touch the three point line

Versus Orlando the game plan will need to do both.

Another big audition for Jose
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      Another big audition for Jose
      In terms of evaluating who has a future in Toronto, it will be a big audition for Aaron Gray as well. It is specifically players like Howard (i.e. big, talented C's) where depth at the 5 spot is very much needed.

*EDIT* Last sentence should read:

It is specifically players like Howard (i.e. big, talented C's) where a legit 7 footer and near 300 pound skilled player is needed for depth.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Mar 5, 2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I look for a good team effort, but add another loss to the "L" column.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Look for Derozan to have a stellar game tonight!
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            In terms of evaluating who has a future in Toronto, it will be a big audition for Aaron Gray as well. It is specifically players like Howard (i.e. big, talented C's) where depth at the 5 spot is very much needed.

*EDIT* Last sentence should read:

It is specifically players like Howard (i.e. big, talented C's) where a legit 7 footer and near 300 pound skilled player is needed for depth.
            Gray has done what he's been asked to, to a T. I'd like to have him back next year. As for a legit 7-footer, I agree, they're rare. Just ask Miami
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

J.Johnson can really affect Hedo's playmaking but I think Casey will put him on Ryan Anderson. I expect us to play small, trouble the perimeter players and let Howard have his way against Gray or Magloire. This will of course suit stan-van-the-man- who will play Redick and Nelson.

Comment

It's going to come down to the perimeter defense, and their defensive schemes on Dwight Howard.

I really believe we can play him straight up, with big bodies in Jamaal Magloire who will probably piss him off and see a little of a scuffle tonight, plus Aaron Gray will body him and bump Dwight out of there.

'Ford Key Matchup' tonight IMO is James Johnson vs. Hedo Turkoglu ''ball''

Hedo coming back in T.Dot wanting to prove something, and that he's a better player than we though, but James Johnson can stop him tonight and prove he's the automatic upgrade for us.

I look to see Demar have a good game, in the past he's had very good games against the Magic.

Like ceez said. Another audition for Jose, but I hope he doesn't leave.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Hedo's back today!

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    Gray has done what he's been asked to, to a T. I'd like to have him back next year. As for a legit 7-footer, I agree, they're rare. Just ask Miami
                    Coincidence? I just read a RealGm blurb that Miami are calling around for a Centre. With Gray's performance against the Lakers last year he might actually have value. I'd rather keep him though unless the Heat "overpays". I dont know honestly what that means!!

Comment

The Raps have always matched up well against the Magic. Even in bad times, they seem to play Orlando close and win games. I don't expect a win but I won't be surprised.

Toronto definitely needs to close out on shooters better tonight than against GSW yesterday. Raps got fortunate GSW shot so poorly from downtown, that won't happen tonight.

Comment

Lovin special eds activity (and not just tonight either) but bro needs to finish! He's proving my point from the report card thread, missing bunnies like he was Elmer fudd!
                        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

DeMar upping his game right in time for the trade deadline. Nice.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Lol, still too early to trade him, rookie contract n all. Playin the city game! Lol, jack likes it more than I do!
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Gotta wonder how strong kleizas knee really is. He's looked flat on all his jumpers the past 2 games and it's all front rim. He'll have a great night followed by 2 bad ones and never looks good on the 2nd night of a b2b
                              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X