Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Johnson vs. Hedo Turkoglu - Who is having the better season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Johnson vs. Hedo Turkoglu - Who is having the better season?

Picture it. A big name free agent signs with the Raps because he likes where the franchise is going, he loves the diversity of the city, and knows how to play with a solid big man. He is gonna lead us back to the playoffs with Bosh. Fairytale situation right? That is how it was looking early on with Hedo and the Raps. Flash forward a couple years and now there is a lot of anger towards Hedo Turkoglu from Raptor fans. Whether it was his poor play or how he generally acted with the franchise (Pizza Pizza), he is not liked (possibly an understatement). He probably is the second most hated player as of now for Rap fans.

Ever since he has left, the Raptors have had a hole at the SF position. At the start of this season, it looked like the trend would continue. With LK injured, Rasual Butler(who himself is climbing on the "most hated" list) started the first game of the season against the Cavs. Looked like it was going to be a tough year for Raptor SF's (who combined for 8 points total in the first game of the year).

Slowly, as the season progressed, James Johnson developed. He started out as an energy player who just made bad decision after bad decision. He had no jumpshot and forced his shots time and time again. Over the past month and a half all of those problems have not been so evident. He has worked hard with his shot, he has been making excellent decisions with the ball (and is passing the ball very well), he is keeping his turnovers down, and he is scoring the ball (not to mention he leads the team in steals and blocks).

Now I am not sold on James Johnson yet, and I do not think he is the answer at SF, but he has been playing rather well as of late imo.

With the Orlando game tonight I felt a fun little comparison would be interesting.

Who is having the better season? With all past drama aside, which player would you want starting at SF for your club?

Hedo:

ppg 11.6 | apg 4.6 | rpg 3.9 | bpg 0.3 | spg 0.8 | tov 2.7 | fg% .417 | 3p% .364 | mpg 31.1 |

JJ:

ppg 8.4 | apg 1.8 | rpg 4.9 | bpg 1.4 | spg 1.3 | tov 1.3 | fg% .433 | 3p% .300 | mpg 25.6 |

Looking at the stats, it looks to me like JJ is playing like the superior player.
    Last edited by Red and White; Mon Mar 5, 2012, 09:46 PM.

Ok
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

JJ is playing much better this season than Hedo
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Value? Hedont is making 10-11 mill/. JJ on first contract scale. Hedont has DH in the middle. JJ has no one meriting a double team.
        JJ is a better defensive player imo at this stage.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
          Picture it. A big name free agent signs with the Raps because he likes where the franchise is going, he loves the diversity of the city, and knows how to play with a solid big man. He is gonna lead us back to the playoffs with Bosh. Fairytale situation right? That is how it was looking early on with Hedo and the Raps. Flash forward a couple years and now there is a lot of anger towards Hedo Turkoglu from Raptor fans. Whether it was his poor play or how he generally acted with the franchise (Pizza Pizza), he is not liked (possibly an understatement). He probably is the second most hated player as of now for Rap fans.

Ever since he has left, the Raptors have had a hole at the SF position. At the start of this season, it looked like the trend would continue. With LK injured, Rasual Butler(who himself is climbing on the "most hated" list) started the first game of the season against the Cavs. Looked like it was going to be a tough year for Raptor SF's (who combined for 8 points total in the first game of the year).

Slowly, as the season progressed, James Johnson developed. He started out as an energy player who just made bad decision after bad decision. He had no jumpshot and forced his shots time and time again. Over the past month and a half all of those problems have not been so evident. He has worked hard with his shot, he has been making excellent decisions with the ball (and is passing the ball very well), he is keeping his turnovers down, and he is scoring the ball (not to mention he leads the team in steals and blocks).

Now I am not sold on James Johnson yet, and I do not think he is the answer at SF, but he has been playing rather well as of late imo.

With the Orlando game tonight I felt a fun little comparison would be interesting.

Who is having the better season? With all past drama aside, which player would you want starting at SF for your club?

Hedo:

ppg 11.6 | apg 4.6 | rpg 3.9 | bpg 0.3 | spg 0.8 | tov 2.7 | fg% .417 | 3p% .364 | mpg 31.1 |

JJ:

ppg 8.4 | apg 1.8 | rpg 4.9 | bpg 1.4 | spg 1.3 | tov 1.3 | fg% .433 | 3p% .300 | mpg 25.6 |

Looking at the stats, it looks to me like JJ is playing like the superior player.
          Hedo is still the better player. JJ is a hustle player and he plays good D. But his IQ is questionable. I think Hedo is an excellent offensive player who can handle the ball, is clutch, and can make the right plays down the stretch. Put JJ in a magic uniform. Do you think he would make a difference? Do you think he will improve the team?

Probably not.

Now, I'm not saying i prefer Hedo over JJ, i just think that his thread is kinda pointless. Gives us a hope to our prospective player, who is a year removed from riding the bench on a playoff team.

Comment

Why is Hedo the 2nd most hated player?

Hedo is definetly my number 1 most hated ex Raptor.

I still dont like Bosh cause he went about the free agency all wrong and was very dishonest.

Vince carter... im so over the VC hate. We see some many players doing the same thing as vince in todays game. Im over it .

HEDO .... is the number 1 most hated raptor. always will be. You cant just sign a 50 mil contract to a city and think you are on easy street. Hedo is a SACK.

BALL....

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
              Why is Hedo the 2nd most hated player?

Hedo is definetly my number 1 most hated ex Raptor.

I still dont like Bosh cause he went about the free agency all wrong and was very dishonest.

Vince carter... im so over the VC hate. We see some many players doing the same thing as vince in todays game. Im over it .

HEDO .... is the number 1 most hated raptor. always will be. You cant just sign a 50 mil contract to a city and think you are on easy street. Hedo is a SACK.

BALL....
              I agree on Hedo. He's public enemy #1 for me too.

As for Bosh, I don't consider his actions dishonest. He didn't lie to anyone. I honestly believe that he was still weighing his options when the season ended, something he's perfectly within his rights to do. He didn't hold his team hostage the way Melo, CP3 and Howard did.

It's Colangelo's fault for taking the risk of not trading Bosh before his contract expired. And it's also Colangelo's fault for wasting the TPE.

Comment

I agree Hedo is number one in my books. Just a complete douche! I was so happy we were able to get rid of that contract.

Carter is 2nd for me because the way he handled it, it doesn't show good character. Also, the way we look at him is partly Babcock's fault because he made such a shitty trade. If he would have gotten back what Ujiri was able to get from NY, we wouldn't hate Vince as much. That trade crippled this franchise.

I have no ill feeling towards Bosh. He was a free agent and he exercised his options. Yes he did some stupid things, but I think it was such a whirlwind of emotions, he handled the situation a bit immature. We all make immature mistakes in our life.

I guess I better stay on the actual topic. Hedo is the better player, but I think JJ could become an all around better player in the future. I can;t believe how much he has changed. When he settles down and doesn't rush stuff and plays within the game he's going to be really good. I hope it just happens after we sign him to a new long term contract.

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
                  Hedo is still the better player. JJ is a hustle player and he plays good D. But his IQ is questionable. I think Hedo is an excellent offensive player who can handle the ball, is clutch, and can make the right plays down the stretch. Put JJ in a magic uniform. Do you think he would make a difference? Do you think he will improve the team?

Probably not.

Now, I'm not saying i prefer Hedo over JJ, i just think that his thread is kinda pointless. Gives us a hope to our prospective player, who is a year removed from riding the bench on a playoff team.
                  Sorry but your description of Hedo was what he was his last couple of years in Orlando before he became a f/a. There is a reason why he has bounced around since then....the Magic wouldnt give him his deal, we know what happened in TO, he couldnt play with Nash in Phoenix, the Magic would unload him in a heartbeat now if someone would take him. "Clutch" he was not last night 0-10 with 0 total points (but he did have 9 assists).

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    Sorry but your description of Hedo was what he was his last couple of years in Orlando before he became a f/a. There is a reason why he has bounced around since then....the Magic wouldnt give him his deal, we know what happened in TO, he couldnt play with Nash in Phoenix, the Magic would unload him in a heartbeat now if someone would take him. "Clutch" he was not last night 0-10 with 0 total points (but he did have 9 assists).
                    I agree.. Hedo is not the same guy he was 2 years ago. However what allows Hedo to work in Orlando is his ball handling skills. The Magic don't really have any one that can bring the ball up as they don't really have a true PG. If the Magic ever got a true PG then Hedo becomes irrelevant.

JJ is a border line starter though on a good team. Hedo could start on any team that wants him. The difference is that Hedo has experience, especially playoff experience. So a contender would most likely take Hedo over JJ which makes him the 'better' player. For a team like the Raps, JJ makes a lot more sense than Hedo does.

Comment

Shouldn't even be question who is having the better individual season. Team season, Hedo on that one, unless you hate trade rumors.

James Johnson will be a great rotational player/sixth man, and if his progression continues, I like what comparison Leo, Jack and Matt gave to him, an energy small forward like Gerald Wallace.

Ball.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

hedo turkey shit is garbage. JJ all day

Comment

James Johnson is STACKED!!! Hedo is a bum.

JJ ftw.
                          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

So am I the only one who is putting Bosh ahead of Hedo right now? I mean Hedo was a mistake from the start. He acted sort of like VC at the end of his Raptor stint. He just did not want to be here. We got rid of him after one brief season. It was not like it was dragged out and horrible. With Chris, we built around him. Had good times. Had bad times. Then he just left to team up in a situation that leads me to believe he never really had the intention of staying in Toronto after that season. There is more of the "getting dumped" feeling with that. But then again it was a bad situation to be in for CB4 (now CB1).

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                              So am I the only one who is putting Bosh ahead of Hedo right now? I mean Hedo was a mistake from the start. He acted sort of like VC at the end of his Raptor stint. He just did not want to be here. We got rid of him after one brief season. It was not like it was dragged out and horrible. With Chris, we built around him. Had good times. Had bad times. Then he just left to team up in a situation that leads me to believe he never really had the intention of staying in Toronto after that season. There is more of the "getting dumped" feeling with that. But then again it was a bad situation to be in for CB4 (now CB1).
                              The only thing I mind when he was dishonest during the free agency, other than that he had 7 good years here. He played his heart out every night, and carried this team on his shoulders almost every night. CB was a real professional (except his free agency show out) and a very good player. All-Star? Yes. Superstar? No. And thats why we continue to hate, Bosh left and hey he did make us a better team, but not near the talent level of Lebron, Wade, he's a 2nd or third option at best.

On the other hand, good points on Hedo. Ball.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X