Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draft, Free Agency or Trades - Which is the best way to go for the Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft, Free Agency or Trades - Which is the best way to go for the Raps?

I've read a lot of posts pointing out the draft as the best way to get talent for this semi-rebuilding Raptors team.

Some say free agents are the best option, while other say trades.

What do you think?

Considering they have cap space and assets to dangle, what would be the best route for the Raptors to improve this team drastically?

Good draft and good FA signing are the keys to success.

I'd say the best way to improve our team is by the draft and by free agency. Keep the core of this team, it seems pretty solid. Calderon, DeRozan, James Johnson, Kleiza, Bargnani and Gray should all absolutely be back with the team next year, + one of Amir and Ed (or both, but let's not start this eternal debate). By drafting a big time player and signing 1 or 2 impact free agents, it's going to be alright for years to come. Don't forget that Valanciunas is coming from Europe this summer, too.

Comment

The draft is the easiest/most efficient way since you don't need to give up assets, or pay through the roof to acquire.

And since we're not currently a winning organization, free agents aren't knocking down the door to play in Toronto, which means overspending to acquire.

As for trades, you have to give up quality to get quality, so unless we're willing to trade Calderon (for example), we shouldn't be expecting any significant improvements via trades.

Comment

I don't mean to give a cop-out answer, but it's hard to guage without knowing what trade offers are out there. I think all are viable options, as long as they keep improving the core group of players who will (ideally) be together for the next 5-10 seasons, buiding a sustainable winning identity for the franchise.

If we look at just heading into next season:
        - TRADE a veteran or two from a position of depth (ie: Barbosa, Calderon/Bayless, Amir/Davis) to get another lottery pick or two
        - DRAFT 2 lottery picks and possibly another late 1st round pick, to add to the core next season along with Valanciunas
        - SIGN a quality veteran free agent or two, who can lead by example, be a great off court presence for the young players and still actually contribute on the court (a guy like Nash or Allen, to be the Oakley/Dell Curry type player the Raps young team needs)

Comment

Cap Space

I think the draft is pretty much the best way to go for the Raps. At least that's the way it has been in the past. Cap space shouldn't be underrated though.

Free agency is just not BC's strong point. What the Raps need to do is get enough space that they can trade for a positional player with a bad contract, but at least one NBA starting calibre skillset, along with a young player with potential.

Think the potential deal for Collison and Okafor that was available a few years ago. Having one bad contract on the books isn't the end of the world if that player can at least provide a skill and nets you another, cheaper, starter.

Comment

I guess i forgot to add something to my initial post, which is, which would you rather have the Raptors give up?

would you rather trade an asset to get a high pick? OR
            would you trade a high pick to get a solid player? OR
            would you trade assets to get expirings to put yourself in a position to sign a solid FA?

Comment

The draft is not the easiest way, it may be the cheapest way, but you are not guaranteed the talent that you thought you were going to get. The Clippers constantly were a lottery team, and that didn't get them any further. Most of that is bad management, but I think you can only rely on the draft so much.

I would say its a combination of the three. At this point if we are adding two to three rookies next season (maybe more if we get another 1st rounder), and we have an already young core of DeMar, Ed, Amir, and JJ. I think it's time to add some experience and proven players through free agency. We get savings from our rookie contracts to make a splash for a good player (Batum, Courtney Lee). We could use our mid level exception for a back-up point guard.

If Raptor Management knows of any players they don't see in our future plans and they can get value back I think we should make the move. Example: If Barbosa can get a first rounder I think we should go for it. If Bayless can get us a prospect at another position, I think we should cash in. We don't need to make a big trade (ie Calderon, Bargs).

This team has the ability to make the playoffs next year with the right moves.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                This team has the ability to make the playoffs next year with the right moves.
                But what is the goal here? Do we want to make the playoffs next year, or do we want to contend for a title in three?

Comment

Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
                  But what is the goal here? Do we want to make the playoffs next year, or do we want to contend for a title in three?

I think those right moves that lead the Raptors to the playoffs next year could help them contend for a title in three.

I wasn't asked but contending for a title in three years would be my preference over making the playoffs next year.

Comment

I like charlesnba23 suggestion:

1 good draft pick
                    1 good free agent signing (I mean really good)

I would add:

1 re-signing (Gray)

and this team is suddenly something to publicly declare your love for.

Comment

Agreed.

What would you guys consider a really good signing though?
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        Agreed.

What would you guys consider a really good signing though?
                        Batum

Comment

Gordon?
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            Gordon?
                            If he could stay healthy, sure. But, in my opinion, he is a HUUUUUGE risk.

Comment

He's a risk, but I wouldn't say a huge risk. Keep in mind he played for the clips who's players are always getting injured it seems. Current team is having a tank-off with 9 other teams. Is Bargs a health risk too?
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X