Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you realistically see as the Point Guard of the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see the Calathes/D Will comparison. I know it was a statistical comparison but they are very different players with Williams much more athletic. Calathes will be a NBA player sooner rather than later but I think he will get burnt by Rondo types.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Here is a thought I had today: Nick Calathes.
      DraftExpress lists his best case as Jose Calderon and his worst case as Sarunas Jasikevicius - not bad company.
      Not to insult your idea at all, because he does sound intriguing.. But on a team that already has Jose Calderon under contract playing arguably the best in this league he has ever played, why would we shift our focus to a point guard who, best case scenario, eventually develops into the guy we already have?
      The thing with our point guard now is that, worst case scenario, he's still Jose Calderon.

Comment

I think the best way for us to not give up good assets is by draft, first of all because we can grab a cheap player on a rookie contract, who may be able to develop into a good guard in the league. If we don't strike, we don't let up a large sum of cap, or assets for a player who doesn't become who we want overtime. Who can be amnestied or traded for a pick or etc, etc.

Bryan Colangelo hasn't been the best at bringing in players from the free agency i.e Turkoglu. He was the best in the class of free agents, but we ended up over-paying and the rest is history.

I think trade is the second best option, but like I said, we could be giving up assets for another player who won't perform, not saying they won't though.

IMO, the draft is the smartest and most convenient. Trade may give up assets that receive a player that won't work, and with the free agency we could go through another Turk type situation.

BUT, there are the positives of the two, but I don't need to mention them because we've seen what good trades do to teams. I.e Denver Nuggets, & we all know about the free agency positives when made. I.e Miami Heat
        Last edited by ReubenJRD; Thu Mar 8, 2012, 09:51 PM.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

No love for Bayless.

I don't know why their is no love for bayless on these forums. Everyone is a Bayless hater when all the guy does is average 20+ pts a game when he starts. People say that he doesn't pass enough but his assist numbers are probably average for a PG when he starts. He is a better ball stopper than Jose, and he is more physical. He could explode for 40+ pts in a game one day, and he is still improving.

I would rather continue developing him then spend another 3 years developing a rookie, or trading for a slightly above average PG like the ones that are out there.

A healthy Jerryd Bayless can be a huge asset for this team, if he gets like 30+ min. a game you better believe he will average 18-20 pts a game and around 5-7 assists with good defense.

P.S I love Jose too, but im not impressed with the rookie hype or the free agents available, I like our PG's.
          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Wall, Curry, Irving, Holiday, Lawson, and Rubio are not going to happen via free agency. They are all (minus Rubio who is locked up until 2015/16) restricted next summer and their team won't let them walk.

Lowry is locked up until the 2014/15 season at which point he is unrestricted.

Jennings is a possibility but, again, restricted.

Of all of those listed, I think Jennings would be the most likely via free agency.

Now trades are another matter but I can't see Toronto's assets parlaying in to one of those point guards without seriously setting the franchise back.
            Maybe, maybe not. A lot can change for a lot of franchises over a year. No offense, but you have no idea who of those names might be available for one reason or another, and no idea what our assets might get us. We've all seen enough trades by now to realize there is ALWAYS a deal out there.

Getting one of them is a surefire a way to fill the PG role as counting on a rookie. I see acquiring one of them as a "possibility" as reasonable/probable as drafting a star. Don't aim so low.
            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

id offer holiday a godfather deal
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                I don't know why their is no love for bayless on these forums. Everyone is a Bayless hater when all the guy does is average 20+ pts a game when he starts. People say that he doesn't pass enough but his assist numbers are probably average for a PG when he starts. He is a better ball stopper than Jose, and he is more physical. He could explode for 40+ pts in a game one day, and he is still improving.

I would rather continue developing him then spend another 3 years developing a rookie, or trading for a slightly above average PG like the ones that are out there.

A healthy Jerryd Bayless can be a huge asset for this team, if he gets like 30+ min. a game you better believe he will average 18-20 pts a game and around 5-7 assists with good defense.

P.S I love Jose too, but im not impressed with the rookie hype or the free agents available, I like our PG's.
                he also continuously runs head first into the paint with no plan to pass and passes as a last ditch effort. i like his game and want him in our plans but not as a point guard we need to rely on. you need to be reliable for that.

Comment

What's future

When you say ''PG of the Future''... What does future means? 2 years? 5 years? IMO, Calderon is the starting PG of the future for at least this year and next. Before then, I don't see why we should talk about a new PG.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                    When you say ''PG of the Future''... What does future means? 2 years? 5 years? IMO, Calderon is the starting PG of the future for at least this year and next. Before then, I don't see why we should talk about a new PG.
                    +1

Comment

Point Guard

You need two in this league and they both need to understand the coaching guys' system very well BUT each needs to have their own strengths as to how the system is applied to game situations. Jose should stay and the dude from Houston who drove Bayless wild last night could be the other one - Drajic?

BUT you need two for a playoff run in the NBA.

PS - Retire Jose as a Raptor. It's time to show some class in Toronto - the league is watching....

Comment

Roarque wrote: View Post
                        You need two in this league and they both need to understand the coaching guys' system very well BUT each needs to have their own strengths as to how the system is applied to game situations. Jose should stay and the dude from Houston who drove Bayless wild last night could be the other one - Drajic?

BUT you need two for a playoff run in the NBA.

PS - Retire Jose as a Raptor. It's time to show some class in Toronto - the league is watching....
                        this is a classless league, generally.
                        i just checked. david robinson was the last player to play his entire career on one team. duncan, kobe and i think pierce will be the next.
                        tony parker brought san antonio multiple championships and they were going to trade him for BigV. i don't think there is a more classy team than san antonio. jose is a really nice guy but tenure for a couple playoff seasons sadface.

if the right offer comes you make that trade and talk about how hard it was and how he was great for the team and city. that is professionalism and this is a profession.

whining and bitching and complaining that "stupid ignorant american players" don't want to play here is classless.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._one_franchise

Comment

Dragic. BC get him already. ugh.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                            Dragic. BC get him already. ugh.
                            +1

Love his game. Underrated player.

Comment

I would like to trade for underrated guys like Dragic or maybe Bledsoe, who showed many times, that if they get time on court they can produce some nice numbers. And they are young and not too expensive
                              (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

RaptorFan (proud?..) wrote: View Post
                                Not to insult your idea at all, because he does sound intriguing.. But on a team that already has Jose Calderon under contract playing arguably the best in this league he has ever played, why would we shift our focus to a point guard who, best case scenario, eventually develops into the guy we already have?
                                The thing with our point guard now is that, worst case scenario, he's still Jose Calderon.
                                He is 23 and 6'6".

From what I've read his defense is also better.

Comment

Working...
                                X