Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forgive me but trading Jose just became a bigger concern (Ricky Rubio ACL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgive me but trading Jose just became a bigger concern (Ricky Rubio ACL)

I've been pretty adamant about trading Jose. My number one reason is injuries. Look through his injury history the last few years after playing international ball - it is dreadful. Injuries occur early and linger all season. The exception is this year when, due to the lockout, he had 4 months off. The counter argument many have given is, "He won't play as much for Spain because of Rubio." That was true until now.....

Minnesota Timberwolves rookie point guard Ricky Rubio will have an MRI on his left knee Saturday morning amid fears he tore his anterior cruciate ligament, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

“Possible ACL,” the source briefed on Rubio’s condition said. “We’ll know more after the MRI. … There’s a lot of worry right now.”

Rubio’s knee buckled with 16.4 seconds left in the Timberwolves’ loss to the Los Angeles Lakers Friday night in Minneapolis. He came across to trap Kobe Bryant and crumbled to the floor as Bryant collided into him while trying to dribble. Rubio immediately grabbed his knee and remained on the floor for a few moments until teammates carried him to the bench.

A torn ACL would end Rubio’s season.

Rubio, 21, has played an immense role in the T’wolves’ revival, partnering with power forward Kevin Love to push Minnesota into playoff contention in the Western Conference. For the season, Rubio has averaged 10.5 points, 8.2 assists and 2.2 steals. His flashy passing and gutsy play-making has made him one of the league’s most popular young players.
    Source

This is speculative on my part but if Rubio's ACL is torn, please trade Jose before Thursday.

**Thank you for your time and I look forward to the onslaught of criticism**

For the right price! I don't think you can make an argument that Calderon is untouchable. So if the right deal comes along that betters this teams future than I think we should do it.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I've been pretty adamant about trading Jose. My number one reason is injuries. Look through his injury history the last few years after playing international ball - it is dreadful. Injuries occur early and linger all season. The exception is this year when, due to the lockout, he had 4 months off. The counter argument many have given is, "He won't play as much for Spain because of Rubio." That was true until now.....

Source

This is speculative on my part but if Rubio's ACL is torn, please trade Jose before Thursday.

**Thank you for your time and I look forward to the onslaught of criticism**
      Matt, I'm wondering why suggest this trade? I understand that Minny is knocking on the final playoff spot. The problem is we don't have anyone itching to be the next PG in this team. Who's coming back to our side in this transaction?
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
        Matt, I'm wondering why suggest this trade? I understand that Minny is knocking on the final playoff spot. The problem is we don't have anyone itching to be the next PG in this team. Who's coming back to our side in this transaction?
        I don't think he is suggesting a trade with Minny. He is just stating with Rubio going down, Calderon's role on the Spanish team just became a lot bigger. He'll be playing major minutes in the Olympics, more chance of injuries from muscle fatigue.

His thoughts are cash in while he is healthy and playing well. I do agree that there is a good chance that Calderon will get injured next season. As we have discussed in other threads, the history is there. It's not guaranteed but the chances are elevated.
        Last edited by saints91; Sat Mar 10, 2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
          I don't think he is suggesting a trade with Minny. He is just stating with Rubio going down, Calderon's role on the Spanish team just became a lot bigger. He'll be playing major minutes in the Olympics, more chance of injuries from muscle fatigue.

His thoughts are cash in while he is healthy and playing well. I do agree that there is a good chance that Calderon will get injured next season. As we have discussed in other threads, the history is there. It's not guaranteed but the chances are elevated.
          Agreed. I really want Jose to take it easy :P

If we are going to trade Jose, it has to be a player, because Jose is too important of a role on our team.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Priority or concern? To me, it's not. I'm not gonna give Jose away at this point. He's a valuable trading piece. Even next year he could prove to be a valuable trading piece because he'll be an expiring. However, drafting a PG or someone with good ball distribution skills might be a priority as insurance (IE - Marshall or Beal).

Comment

*sigh* A fantasy team hangs in the balance.

Rubio knocked knees. There was no twisting. I'm hoping it's just a bad bruise.

Comment

only way id trade Jose would be one of these deals

Felton(expiring contract) + 1st round pick
                or
                Hinrich(expiring contract) + 1st round pick

otherwise id just hold on to him... he'll be an expiring deal at the end of next season anyway

Comment

You talking to me?

Tim Chisholm ‏ @timpchisholm
                  Does anyone want to wait for the results of Rubio's MRI before going nuts? No? Okay, carry on with your business then.
                  Good point. The above tweet came out after I posted this thread.

lol - jk

Comment

I feel bad for Rubio if that turns out to be true. But I agree with Matt....Jose will be the man on the Olympic team and he'll be playing even harder apart from it being probably his last Olympics. Minny as well maybe quite interested in Jose now. Time to squeeze them. I am not entirely familiar with their roster or picks situation but Ridnour is probably not available.

Comment

Even with a possible season ending injury to Rubio, the Twolves have good depth at the point right now with Ridenour and Barea who is due back soon froom an ankle injury.

Comment

If Rubio does end up being injured for an extended time I think it could have an impact on Calderon in terms of the trade market. With Barea returning from injury soon the Wolves were shopping Ridnour to clubs in need of a PG upgrade (Blazers, Lakers, etc.).

If Rubio is going to miss extended time, that would in all likelihood remove Ridnour from those discussions. One less available PG on the market could increase Calderon's trade value slightly as teams might get desperate.

Currently it's looking like the available PG upgrades for teams (assuming Ridnour no longer available) are: Sessions, Mo Williams (although Clippers would expect a top-tier SG in return) and Calderon.
                        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

IF Rubio is indeed done for the season (or a long period of time) I could see Calderon being on their radar since Khan wants playoffs.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            IF Rubio is indeed done for the season (or a long period of time) I could see Calderon being on their radar since Khan wants playoffs.
                            It has just been confirmed moments ago by ESPN. Ricky Rubio did inf\ct suffer a torn ACL lastnight against the lakers .

Get well Ricky.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/76...cl-report-says

Comment

NBA.com is reporting he is out for the season.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/0...ne-for-season/

Comment

Working...
                              X