Everything Jerryd Bayless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    He has not shown enough to warrant the $4M qualifying offer the Raptors must make in order to keep him a RFA.

I have no problem with him coming back as a UFA.
    Part of the issue is going to be what they do with Calderon. Jose isn't a durable guy and having him play 40 mins a night won't work. If Calderon's back, they need a legitimate backup PG. They can't go into next season with Wil Solomon and Roko Ukic types. So, if Bayless is the best option at $4M, then I have no issue with him coming back. If, OTOH, the Raps are going to re-work the PG-spot entirely, then I'd rather see other guys pursued.

Comment

• Bad for Bayless, good for Raps.

Since the Raps have seen what he can do, but wasnt able to finish the season strong, he has no leverage and the raps can offer him a much cheaper contract. hopefully none of the other teams are interested, he signs for cheap and we get a possible PG/SG for the future.

i think the QO is fine. the guy will obviously not sign another rookie deal. with what he can do, i think that would be a bit of an insult.

Comment

• Honestly, I don't think he'll get the QO from Toronto. It ties up $4M in cap space during the first 3 days of free agency, which I would see as reason #1. Reason #2 is that they can likely get him cheaper than $4M if he wants to come back, because it's unlikely anyone else out there is willing to take a chance on a guy entering his 5th year who hasn't yet been able to grab a starting PG role or prove to be a capable backup PG.

If they want him back as a backup 2, fine, but again, not at more than $4M.
        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
          Honestly, I don't think he'll get the QO from Toronto. It ties up $4M in cap space during the first 3 days of free agency, which I would see as reason #1. Reason #2 is that they can likely get him cheaper than $4M if he wants to come back, because it's unlikely anyone else out there is willing to take a chance on a guy entering his 5th year who hasn't yet been able to grab a starting PG role or prove to be a capable backup PG.

If they want him back as a backup 2, fine, but again, not at more than $4M.
          I agree. I think the Raps will definitely try to sign him cheaper than the QO.

IMO, he's worth at least the QO, but thats just me.

Comment

• Bayless out for the remainder of the season

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2383518/

I'm very sad about this, I hope this kid is back next year, had an injury riddled season but can be a huge contributor going forward.

If he started every game in a season and averaged 36 min. I could see this guy easily putting up 15/5/3 a game, and if we can lock him up for around 4-5 million a year, that means we can trade calderon for a back up PG, freeing up about 5 million in cap space. Seems like a good deal to me.
            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
              http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2383518/

I'm very sad about this, I hope this kid is back next year, had an injury riddled season but can be a huge contributor going forward.

If he started every game in a season and averaged 36 min. I could see this guy easily putting up 15/5/3 a game, and if we can lock him up for around 4-5 million a year, that means we can trade calderon for a back up PG, freeing up about 5 million in cap space. Seems like a good deal to me.
              If the Raptors starting PG only averages 5 APG next season, I think we'll all be quite disappointed while suffering through yet another dismal year. Having a PG that looks for his own points far more often and before he even thinks about getting his teammates involved, is a recipe for disaster. I would be happy with Bayless filling the Barbosa role as the backup SG, but he's a totally different player when he's not starting and has stated that he firmly believes he's a PG and won't be happy being forced into a purely SG role - so no point considering/hoping he will play that role next season.

If you want to free up a few million in cap space, just let Bayless walk and replace him with a rookie backup PG (*cough* Marshall *cough*). That way you let Calderon run the young offense, which he does far more effectively than Bayless, while giving the pass-first rookie PG a similar, effective mentor to learn from.

My preference would be to S&T Bayless to another team, to try and get an asset (or even with our lower 2nd round pick to get an early 2nd or possibly even late 1st round pick), or else just let him walk.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                If the Raptors starting PG only averages 5 APG next season, I think we'll all be quite disappointed while suffering through yet another dismal year. Having a PG that looks for his own points far more often and before he even thinks about getting his teammates involved, is a recipe for disaster. I would be happy with Bayless filling the Barbosa role as the backup SG, but he's a totally different player when he's not starting and has stated that he firmly believes he's a PG and won't be happy being forced into a purely SG role - so no point considering/hoping he will play that role next season.

If you want to free up a few million in cap space, just let Bayless walk and replace him with a rookie backup PG (*cough* Marshall *cough*). That way you let Calderon run the young offense, which he does far more effectively than Bayless, while giving the pass-first rookie PG a similar, effective mentor to learn from.

My preference would be to S&T Bayless to another team, to try and get an asset (or even with our lower 2nd round pick to get an early 2nd or possibly even late 1st round pick), or else just let him walk.
                I'd like to just add to this... the reason why a PG averaging 5 assists a game is bad is because we do not have any other players on the team that can create for others.

If our SG for example did a better job of passing the ball then having a PG that only gets 5 assists a game would work. The reason OKC is so successful is because guys like Durant and Harden can create for others too.

I'm not a Bayless fan, and I don't think he's worth the QO, but I'd be fine with a PG that can do other things than just pass the ball if we could figure out a way to replace Demar or move him to the SF spot.

However in the short term we need a guy like Calderon otherwise our offense will just continue to stall and that's simply because of the team we currently have. I'm an advocate for bringing in Marshall since IMO he'd duplicate what Calderon does but is younger and theoretically less injury prone (ie, would not be playing International ball every other year).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  If our SG for example did a better job of passing the ball then having a PG that only gets 5 assists a game would work. The reason OKC is so successful is because guys like Durant and Harden can create for others too.
                  You make a very good point. A backcourt comprised of Bayless and (for example) Beal would mesh much better than Bayless/DeRozan.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    You make a very good point. A backcourt comprised of Bayless and (for example) Beal would mesh much better than Bayless/DeRozan.
                    Doesn't have to be in the backcourt. MKG is also a pretty good passer. I personally think he does deserve QO. Him and James Johnson are best perimeter defender and his are clutches player. I just don't want to see another raptor leave blow up some were else(Chauncey Billups). I don't know if you guys remember Kevin Love saying he was surprised that Jerryd Bayless hasn't blown up? Being the harder worker Love is if he seen that kind of ethic with Jerryd Bayless it's only a matter of time.

Love to have the same problem I'm minny not getting any playing time cause he could guard his position. Than they gave him a shot(still can't guard his position but they'll live with that)
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• The Denver game is an example of why your PG shouldnt always be a pass first PG. Lawson hounded the hell out of Calderon, and he knew Calderon wasnt going anywhere because Calderon is always looking to pass. If Bayless was there, Lawson wouldnt play him as close, because he knows Bayless can use his quickness to get away from him. Bayless would have been able to open up the defense with his drives.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                        The Denver game is an example of why your PG shouldnt always be a pass first PG. Lawson hounded the hell out of Calderon, and he knew Calderon wasnt going anywhere because Calderon is always looking to pass. If Bayless was there, Lawson wouldnt play him as close, because he knows Bayless can use his quickness to get away from him. Bayless would have been able to open up the defense with his drives.
                        Agreed. Was actually thinking this as well.

Comment

• Apparently coach Casey is high on Jerryd - and feels he's seen enough from an "evaluation standpoint."
                          Also, I hate the word "standpoint."

Source: http://blog.raptors.com/pre-game-with-dwane-casey/

Comment

The Denver game is an example of why your PG shouldnt always be a pass first PG. Lawson hounded the hell out of Calderon, and he knew Calderon wasnt going anywhere because Calderon is always looking to pass. If Bayless was there, Lawson wouldnt play him as close, because he knows Bayless can use his quickness to get away from him. Bayless would have been able to open up the defense with his drives.
                            Those attributes in a backup PG would have been good tonight. The Raptors are going to be very thin for the rest of the season at PG after Jose.

Calderon still managed 10/10 with just 2 turnovers.

Comment

I don't think it's an issue of pass-first vs. shoot-first. In this instance, we just need a PG capable of getting by his defender, regardless of whether his first instinct is to pass or shoot. Calderon can't do anything offensively without a screen.

Comment

• Bayless is stacked.
                                "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Working...
                                X