Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katman wrote: View Post
    I'm always facinated how people can get so polarized about medicore talent.

I'd rather save my FA money for someone really good, and if that person is not available this summer i'd wait to use it the next year when Jose's contract ends.
    The problem then is Toronto would have to use any cap space to possibly resign DD and JJ before any free agents can be looked at or the Raptors could make the pair UFA and risk losing assets for nothing.

This summer will be the last chance for the Raptors to do anything in free agency that does not rely on an exception.
    It will also be the last time to take advantage of the trade rules before having to make salaries match up (actually, second last - depending on moves in off season, they might have this luxury until trade deadline).

Comment

• Are the Raptors one of the Lincredible Six?

Lin will be what’s called an Arenas-rights player. He has been in the NBA less than four years, meaning the Knicks team can make him a restricted free agent by issuing a Qualifying Offer. In Lin’s case because he is not on a typical first round pick rookie deal, his Offer amount is calculated using 125% of his previous salary, or the player’s minimum salary plus $200,000, whichever is greater. In Lin’s case his minimum salary as a third year player is $854,389 plus $200,000 making his Qualifier $1.054 million.

Now enter the wrinkle. Lin does not possess Bird Rights, but the Knicks can match anything up to the Mid-Level to keep him if they restrict him. Opposing teams are limited to the Mid-Level in their initial offer, but can increase the third and fourth year of a deal so that all years average to the amount of cap space they have available. — that’s the Arenas provision.

So the wrinkle gets a little sillier, especially if a team with cap space makes a big cap space type offer. According to Larry Coon’s CBAFAQ, Lin’s maximum offer can be constructed like this:

If a team that is $9 million under the cap… [and] wants to submit a four-year offer sheet, and wants to provide a large raise in the third season, they can offer a total of $36 million over four years. The first-year salary is limited to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or $5 million. The second-year salary will be $5.225 million (4.5% raise). This leaves $25.775 million to be distributed over the final two seasons of the contract, with a 4.1% raise from year three to year four. So the entire contract looks like this:

Season – Salary – Notes

1 – $5,000,000 – Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level amount for 2011-12

2 – $5,225,000 – 4.5% raise over season 1

3 – $12,628,613 – This is the amount that yields $25.775 million over the final two seasons with a 4.1% raise

4 – $13,146,387 – Raise is 4.1% of season 3 salary

Total – $36,000,000 – Average is $9 million, which equals the team’s cap room

For the team making this offer, this contract would count for $9.0 million (i.e., the average salary in the contract) of team salary in each of the four seasons if they sign the player. If the player’s prior team matches the offer and keeps the player, then the actual salary in each season counts as team salary. The player’s original team is allowed to use any available exception (e.g., the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or the Early Bird) to match the offer.
      Sources close to the situation say there could be as many as six teams willing to make an offer to Jeremy Lin, some are willing to test New York’s resolve on Lin with a deal constructed like Larry’s outline above. It’s doubtful anyone is going to make an offer that averages $9 million, but would someone do a deal that averages $6 to $7 million? – that’s probable.

In order to match such an offer, not only would the Knicks have to commit their full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception to Lin, they’d also take on contract values in years 3 and 4 that would likely be taxed by the NBA more punitive Luxury Tax that kicks in in 2013.

The Knicks owe Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler $60.632 million alone in 2014-2015, when year three of Jeremy’s new contract would kick in.
      Source: Hoopshype.com

Very Linteresting. I had thought based on other articles that it was MLE no ifs, ands, or butts. Not the case it would seem.

Comment

• As for Toronto, I hope not.

As for the Knicks - LOL - 8 years of tanking/rebuilding only to be blown in 6 months following Donnie Walsh's departure.... LOL. No wonder the New York media wants changes to the lottery process.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          Source: Hoopshype.com

Very Linteresting. I had thought based on other articles that it was MLE no ifs, ands, or butts. Not the case it would seem.
          I hope Toronto is NOT one of those teams considering an insane offer like that for Lin! Personally, I don't think Lin is even worth the MLE. I think he's a decent backup who had a flash-in-the-pan stretch of games in a market despearate for something/someone to cheer for.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            As for Toronto, I hope not.
            CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I don't think Lin is even worth the MLE.
            Let me rubber-stamp this, one sec...

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            As for the Knicks - LOL - 8 years of tanking/rebuilding only to be blown in 6 months following Donnie Walsh's departure.... LOL.
            Should I feel guilty that reading this makes me feel warm inside?

Comment

• If MLSE's goal is to sell tickets and give the Raps some good publicity, yes.

If MLSE's goal is to move forward and build a contender (if they're serious about it), hell NO!
              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• You guys are all haters, Jeremy Lin is the best point-guard in the NBA. 36 million for 4 years, worth every penny
                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                  You guys are all haters, Jeremy Lin is the best point-guard in the NBA. 36 million for 4 years, worth every penny
                  yup, glass pipe
                  NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Lin is average at best. He had a hot streak coming out of nowhere guns blazing. like when i play Multiplayer on a game like COD or Uncharted 3, i go like 5 games absolutely gunning down everything i see. After a while i cool down and come back down to earth, same exact thing with Lin.

Comment

• I'd say Bayless has shown at least as much as Lin has, in terms of potential.
                      Give Bayless 10 Turnovers a game, and he'll put up RIDICULOUS assist numbers. Book it.

ADD Actually, did the math becauuse I was curious; and turns out, with Lins' Ass/TO ratio, Bayless would average MORE than Lins 6.2APG.
                      (MATH: Lins APG - 6.2 / Lins TO - 3.6 = 1.722 AST/TO
                      Multiply by Bayless' APG - 3.8 = 6.5 APG)

For the record, this also shows that Bayless AST/TO ratio (2.2) was better than Lins (1.7).
                      Big plus for a PG in my books.

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Lin is average at best. He had a hot streak coming out of nowhere guns blazing. like when i play Multiplayer on a game like COD or Uncharted 3, i go like 5 games absolutely gunning down everything i see. After a while i cool down and come back down to earth, same exact thing with Lin.
                      Fantastic analogy Props. hahah
                      Last edited by Joey; Thu May 10, 2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• thanks and i agree on the Bayless comment. Man i wish he didn't get injured, its going to be tough for BC to decide whether to keep him or not. The best scenario would be signing nash, trading or amnestying jose(i love him but its for the good of the team) and resigning Jay Bay and let him learn from one of the greatest passers of all time.

Comment

• haha in other words he came:

Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Fri May 11, 2012, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• Lin as the backup PG would be fine with me
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• $6-7 million for a backup doesn't make much sense.

Comment

• Am afraid that Lin's real value right now lies more in his international marketing possibilities.

Comment

Working...
                                X