Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbosa traded to Pacers for 2nd round pick (Official - post 155)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is it that all indications from the team via the media are that BC is going to stand pat. Even Casey came out and said as much. WTF. Then we trade our best-ish offensive player...
    Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
      Another problem.... who plays backup sg andd spot backup pg
      We only have 13 players now (with Carter also considered gone). I'm sure there are more moves coming, if not some 10-day contracts to fill out the roster.

As for the value of Barbosa, is it possible we all simply over-valued him? Colangelo has never been known to get fleeced in trades. In fact, it's usually Colangelo doing the fleecing (Araujo for Humphries, and Turk for Barbosa).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        On the surface, or if he wasn't an expiring contract, I'd agree with you. However, think about it like this, there really is no negative aspect to it (unless you are one of the hopeful fans, still holding out hope for a run at the playoffs this season):
        - Raps get a 2nd round pick
        - Raps are worse without Barbosa for the rest of the season, improving draft positioning
        - Raps could re-sign Barbosa next season
        - with this ~52 pick we can only draft a crappy player like Alabi
        - we are bad enough with him
        - we could re-sign him anyway

on the other hand Indiana gets realy good bench player for giving practicaly nothing. I mean we could get at least better 2nd rounder... this pick doesn't make any sense unless BC are going to use it to other trades
        Last edited by japetas; Thu Mar 15, 2012, 11:46 AM.
        (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
          What the Raptors get is extra ping pong balls. That's what I think they're going for all out now.
          Agreed.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
            my guess is Forbes...LOL

Tank mode just went into overdrive!

guess ill only be watching raps game in an hour's from here on out LOL
            PVR with the fastforward button going into overdrive. I might need a new remote by the end of the season because of this.

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            As for the value of Barbosa, is it possible we all simply over-valued him? Colangelo has never been known to get fleeced in trades. In fact, it's usually Colangelo doing the fleecing (Araujo for Humphries, and Turk for Barbosa).
            Do you see anyone in the late 2nd round who can hope to equal Barbosa's impact... Ever?

Comment

Disappointing. I mean a second rounder. Barbosa has to have more value than that. Young players would have been good. Im hoping was a small move for something greater. Salary cap isn't an issue cause he was expiring. Maybe chemistry? or the whole offseason when Barbosa wasn't liking Toronto.

Comment

we're now under the league min for salary and have 2 roster spots open (apparently carter is in the trade too)

so there's gonna be more

@sweatpantsjer

Comment

This move makes sense to me. Everyone knew that Barbosa was going to be a rental. With a good draft - no one is going to risk getting rid of a first round draft pick for a rental, and there are only a few teams that have the cap space that would take on Barbosa without giving anything back. Utah is one (with their TPE) but they are not contending right now.. Indiana is the other, and LA would probably rather use their TPE on a guy like Beasley than on Barbosa.

At least we got a 2nd rounder.. I'd be more upset if Barbosa stayed with the team this year and then left.

Now hopefully Bryan is able to package that 2nd rounder with the one he has to move up in the draft. Which team out there would want to sell their first rounder for two second rounders?

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
                    Disappointing. I mean a second rounder. Barbosa has to have more value than that. Young players would have been good. Im hoping was a small move for something greater. Salary cap isn't an issue cause he was expiring. Maybe chemistry? or the whole offseason when Barbosa wasn't liking Toronto.
                    Their goal was to take no cap back, only picks. I guess that limited the field of possible options...

Comment

Anthony Carter might be included in the deal too, so it saves the Raptors some money from buying him out. Also, this deal apparently creates a $7.6million TPE which lasts up until the trade deadline next year.

As we have experienced before the TPE is nothing grand, but that is still a asset the Raptors could choose to use at some point.

Sam Amick says the following:

"Source confirms @SpearsNBAYahoo report: Indiana has acquired Leandro Barbosa for 2nd round pick. Anthony Carter likely going to Pacers too"
                      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

guys, BC got something for a guy that was gone at the end of the year anyways. relax. seriously.

@sweatpantsjer

Comment

Weren't the indications that Barbosa liked it here and would be willing to re-sign?
                          Welp, that sucked.

Comment

This is twice Indiana has stolen from us. last time we took on the bad contract/injured JO for a first rounder (Roy Hibbert).

Comment

I actually think everyone is handling this disappointment pretty well. Maybe Colangelo pulls a second, better, deal which evens out public opinion.

The funny thing is I honestly think that if Colangelo did nothing and Barbosa walked in the summer people would be less disappointed by that then by them only getting a second rounder right now. Perception is everything.

Comment

Toronto could also gain a trade exception for $7.6M that would be good for 1 year.

I'm not sure how that works come free agency though. Would they have to renounce it to use the cap space if attempting to sign a free agent?

It could be extremely useful in a sign and trade.

Comment

Working...
                                X