Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbosa traded to Pacers for 2nd round pick (Official - post 155)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    John Hollinger just mentioned on his chat that NJ is dangling Houston's 1st round pick (top-14 protected), to any team who will take C Johan Petro ($3.25M this season & $3.5M next season). Given the fact that the Raptors now need to add salary and that Alabi ($0.83M) will likely be gone next season, I wonder if it would be worth it to give Petro the 3rd string C role next season, in order to potentially get another mid-1st round pick... I would have said a big "NO" yesterday, but suddenly adding that $3.5M for one year and a mid-1st round pick doesn't sound too bad...

I haven't heard any Toronto rumors, just me putting 1 + 1 together...
    Woah for a minute. Why do the Raptors need to add salary?

Petro is useless. Essentially they're buying a lotto protected first rounder for $3.5M + what he's owed this year. They might get one for cheaper than that just by spending money to purchase it and leave the current and future cap number alone.
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Mar 15, 2012, 12:40 PM. Reason: misread

Comment

2nd round pick? unless this is the 1 st overall pick in the 2nd round I think we just got rape hard.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
        2nd round pick? unless this is the 1 st overall pick in the 2nd round I think we just got rape hard.
        How so? Barbosa was likely going to walk at season's end, thus leaving us with nothing.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Woah for a minute. Why do the Raptors need to add salary?

Petro is useless. Essentially they're buying a lotto protected first rounder for $6.75M. They could get one for cheaper than that just by spending money to purchase it and leave the cap number alone.
          When I mentioned they needed to add salary, I meant because the Raps are under the league minimum. If the Raps are approx. $1M under, plus Alabi's nearly $1M salary, that's roughly half of Petro's salary covered, which means they'd really only be "adding" about $1.5M salary next season (plus the prorated amount remaining this season - say $1.625M). That means the net impact would be roughly $3.125M for a mid-1st round pick, while only adding about $1.5M to next season's cap. It's not horrible and I was just musing about how the Raps could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak (reaching min salary level and acquiring a potentially mid-1st round pick).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            How so? Barbosa was likely going to walk at season's end, thus leaving us with nothing.
            objection! Speculation your honour. He could have wanted to resign.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              When I mentioned they needed to add salary, I meant because the Raps are under the league minimum. If the Raps are approx. $1M under, plus Alabi's nearly $1M salary, that's roughly half of Petro's salary covered, which means they'd really only be "adding" about $1.5M salary next season (plus the prorated amount remaining this season - say $1.625M). That means the net impact would be roughly $3.125M for a mid-1st round pick, while only adding about $1.5M to next season's cap. It's not horrible and I was just musing about how the Raps could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak (reaching min salary level and acquiring a potentially mid-1st round pick).
              Why not just buy a pick and spend that cap space on an NBA player?

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              My bet now is he isn't a Pacer next season. They're renting him for a 2nd rounder:
              Pacers wanted to get a scorer for the stretch run. Had $14 million in cap space available.
              Source: David Aldridge, Twitter

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Is it that easy? Just buy a pick.

Comment

[QUOTE=Apollo;119028]Woah for a minute. Why do the Raptors need to add salary? QUOTE]

Raptors do not necessarily need to add salary, that was probably just in reference to being under the league minimum. If the Raptors don't take on salary, the additional money that would take them to the league minimum will be divided up between the players currently on the roster. So either way, they are spending the money in some capacity.
                  http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

How many times has that happened in the modern NBA that a team just payed money to a team for a mid first rounder?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Do you think they could buy a pick as high as potentially #15? Usually the picks that get sold are in the #25+ range, plus I wouldn't be suprised to see an added premium on picks in this year's draft (given how resisitent teams have been to give up 1st rounders for players like Barbosa, Kaman and Sessions). But yes, if I could pay $3M for a mid-1st round pick without eating any cap space next season, that would definitely be my preference... I just don't know if it's feasibile.

Comment

• I don't know the going rate for a 1st rounder right now but I do know there are some high impact free agents on the market this summer and I'd hate for the Raptors to be $1-3M short because of this. They have potentially two top five first rounders entering the fray this coming season already. I think the cap space should be used in free agency.

Comment

• taking on a Salary for 3.5 million next season is worth the mid first rounder. You would essentially be paying 6 million to two players. One of which has the ability to become a core player for years to come.

Comment

• From Hollinger's live chat on ESPN

Chad (Indianapolis)
                            Does getting Barbosa really do anything for the Pacers?

John Hollinger (12:51 PM)
                            It's a free player, don't look it in the mouth. The Pacers get a backup 2 who can really score, and they were under the salary floor so it will barely cost them anything anyway.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                              objection! Speculation your honour. He could have wanted to resign.
                              We said the same thing about Bosh. Haven't we learned our lesson?

Comment

• Time to put our man in Europe to work and unearth a diamond in the rough for that 2nd round pick and stash away if need be.

Comment

Working...
                                X