No announcement yet.

The Raptors and Greg Oden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But wait, we have Alex Mcechnie (wrong spelling I think), director of sports science. Maybe he can do some voodoo shit on his knees and ankles. While we're at it, let's pick up Brandon Roy for some Blazers reunion action.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      To steal a phrase from Dwight Howard, I'd roll the dice. However in doing so it would be with the expectation that it is much more than likely he never returns to form and the realization Solo is useless.
      hahaha that presscon was brutal. How can you say to your GM and President of BO, media and fans that it was a hard, very hard decision and it stressed and drained him to think about....coming back to the team the youve been with your whole pro career!!!! and then he speaks of loyalty when he just seconds ago said it was the hardest decision to sign up for one more year with your original team!!! should he have said, im loyal so this was really a no-brainer?? the magic shoudlve traded him.

because im a sucker for what ifs, i will sign him. but ill be prepared for the worse, that he's probably never ever going to play again.

Comment

I'd give him Solomon Alabi's roster spot and salary. That's about it.

I would put more hope in Greg Oden playing a full 82 game schedule than Alabi playing more than 82 minutes in a full season.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

I'd much rather take a chance with Oden @ $1.5M than continue on with either Alabi (or another project) @ $890K (team option for next season) or Magloire (or another washed up veteran) @ approx $1M as the 3rd string C next season. Why not roll the dice? We're talking about signing him to be the 3rd string C behind Valanciunas and Gray (hopefully he gets re-signed).

Worst case scenarios
          - he doesn't come back from injury
          - he comes back from injury and is just as useless as Alabi

Best case scenarios
          - he returns from injury and is effective playing limited minutes, becoming one of the best backup C in the league, forming a fearsome C tandem with Valanciunas for years to come
          - he returns from injury and overcomes his injury problems, pushing for more than just backup minutes, which creates a significant trade chip for the Raptors

Comment

I recall a thread last summer with some EC executive saying you had to extend Oden cause any chance he could return made it worth the risk. I commented at the time that it was yet more proof why the Eastern Conference always sucks. If this was baseball where you could sign a guy to some sort of minor league contract that was non-guaranteed and see what he has, then, sure. But the guy can't even play. He hasn't played in ages. What exactly are you hoping for? Until and unless he is healthy and can practice for you it's pointless.

Comment

You're not hoping for anything slaw. You're claiming him off waivers, letting his contract expire at the end of the season and then when/if he returns you have the right to match any offer for him. It's nothing more than a tactic worth merely a drop in the bucket in a sport with the kind of budgets pro basketball teams operate under.

Comment

Seems that most in the thread like very high odds gambles. Oden if I am not mistaken has had his last 2 surgeries after practice (dont know how hard) mishaps. While not a doctor, it seems obvious that he has some form bone malady. This is very unfortunate of course. The Blazers have stood by him as long as they have precisely because of the same lure (his great talent) being expressed here. But if anyone knows the true nature of his medical problem it's them...and they finally have said no more. Acquiring him is more than just a roster spot. It's also the emotional aspects of the relationship going forward and resources needed to look after his needs as a member of the Raptors.

Comment

Yeah, they've moved on and made roster room for trades by cutting him. There would be little to no Raptors' resources used on him. He's a FA at the end of the season. Like I've been saying, this is solely a play to reserve the right to match any offer for him once he commences his career once more. That's all.

Comment

well he might be a risk but id say its no more a risk then drafting hoffa instead of iggy LOL

if Oden was to play 28min in the next 5 seasons, that would be 26 more minutes then Alabi will prob. play

& id rather pay Oden 1.5mill to sit on the bench in street clothes then pay Butler what hes making to ride the pine!

plus the only reason portland waived him is because they had to.... they never had enough roster space for all the incomming players..
                    some of there deals may have fallen apart if someone was excluded from the trade whoo knows
                    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Fri Mar 16, 2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Its worth a gamble so lets do it. I dont want BC bringing in anyone who could hurt the tank and Oden will be sitting on the bench as a what if... If Oden ever gets healthy it pays off. If he retires it isnt any worse than the kind of money we were throwing at Turkoglu and Okneel and Olajuwon.

Comment

DoNDaDDa, there is no risk to this. You pick him up off the wire. His $1.5M contract expires at the end of the season and then you forget about him until he's ready to return to the league. Then if you want him you get the right to match any offer for him when he's ready to return. There is no risk here.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          DoNDaDDa, there is no risk to this. You pick him up off the wire. His $1.5M contract expires at the end of the season and then you forget about him until he's ready to return to the league. Then if you want him you get the right to match any offer for him when he's ready to return. There is no risk here.
                          if thats the case its a bit of a no brainer to claim him then..LOL

Comment

Alright I'm winning people over, now let's get Colangelo on this.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

He is not a restricted free agent so no right to match.

He was restricted last summer. Blazers had $8.9M (I believe, somewhere around there) qualifying offer on him. When he was not able to return, they mutually agreed to a $1.5M, one year deal.

He is unrestricted this summer.

The only benefit to bring him in this year is if he is able to return - which does not look likely.

Comment

I get it being a big risk if he was being signed with the expectation of being our starting or even backup C, but at this point it's just taking a flier on a guy to be the 3rd string C next season. Given that he will be an unrestricted FA after the season and isn't likely to come back until the middle of next season, the only reason to claim him off waivers would be in the hopes that he'd feel some loyalty to the team that "believed" in him enough to claim him. Otherwise, just wait and possibly sign him to a non-guaranteed contract in the offseason, if anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X