Ed + Solo spotted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed + Solo spotted!

Nothing too relevant, just thought it was intense.

I just flew back to Toronto from Vancouver and when I landed I went to lakeshore to the Baskin Robins for some ice cream. All of a sudden both Ed Davis and Solomon Alabi duck underneath the door and enter the shop. Since its not the first time Ive been incredibly close to an NBA player (I washed my hands next to Antwan Jamison in a Miami airport washroom) and I really liked Ed Davis's 4 assist and 12 rebound performance against Charlotte, I turned around and approached both. I told Ed Davis how Im a big fan of his play, loved what he did against Charlotte, and how I have real hope for him to become a great player for the raptors. Ed seemed like a real nice guy, (not too articulate) and offered to buy me my icecream!

Alabi has a cool accent, and both seemed really laid back. If anything, they won me over as a fan on the basis of personality.

Any of you have any Raptor encounters?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

enlightenment wrote: View Post

I just flew back to Toronto from Vancouver and when I landed I went to lakeshore to the Baskin Robins for some ice cream. All of a sudden both Ed Davis and Solomon Alabi duck underneath the door and enter the shop. Since its not the first time Ive been incredibly close to an NBA player (I washed my hands next to Antwan Jamison in a Miami airport washroom) and I really liked Ed Davis's 4 assist and 12 rebound performance against Charlotte, I turned around and approached both. I told Ed Davis how Im a big fan of his play, loved what he did against Charlotte, and how I have real hope for him to become a great player for the raptors. Ed seemed like a real nice guy, (not too articulate) and offered to buy me my icecream!

Alabi has a cool accent, and both seemed really laid back. If anything, they won me over as a fan on the basis of personality.

You shouldve instragram-ed it!!!!

Ive had Raptor sightings but never encounters. hahaha this statement makes them sound like aliens.

Comment

I was coming back from playing basketball (a little squash court with a basketball net) in my condo building. I have my basketball in my hand, press the elevator button to go down. The elevator opens up and there stands the monstrous giant Solo. I step in, and this is what he says:
      Solo: "You play ball?"
      Me: (voice quivering) "Ya... I know you do"
      Solo: "Do you play often?"
      Me: "I try to as much as I can"
      (elevator arrives at destination)
      Solo: "Well maybe we will play 1-on-1 sometime"
      Me: (like a child) "YA, that would be awesome, see ya"

Comment

I used to see and talk to Bonner pretty regularly when I worked downtown near union station. Funny, nice dude. I was bummed when he left.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Saw Bosh (back when I liked him!!) at the airport in the customs/Immig. line coming back to TO. It was off season so he was travelling with the cattle but no one seemed to pay too much attention to him...lol.

Comment

Theshwa wrote: View Post
            I was coming back from playing basketball (a little squash court with a basketball net) in my condo building. I have my basketball in my hand, press the elevator button to go down. The elevator opens up and there stands the monstrous giant Solo. I step in, and this is what he says:
            Solo: "You play ball?"
            Me: (voice quivering) "Ya... I know you do"
            Solo: "Do you play often?"
            Me: "I try to as much as I can"
            (elevator arrives at destination)
            Solo: "Well maybe we will play 1-on-1 sometime"
            Me: (like a child) "YA, that would be awesome, see ya"
            lol nice story, Solo is so desperated to play basket, that he challenges everyone who have the ball.
            Last edited by japetas; Mon Mar 19, 2012, 04:03 PM.
            (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

My dad was reffing an ex-NHLer celebrity hockey game in the Niagara region in the early summer of 2010 and Jay Triano popped into the ref's dressing room prior to the game to lace up his skates. After chatting about various non-basketball stuff for 10-15 minutes, my dad asked him about Bosh's future in Toronto... he told me that Jay said "off the record, he's gone". This was when all Raptors folks and local media were saying it was at least 50/50 that Bosh would re-sign long-term with the team, yet the head coach seemed pretty certain that he was leaving. This story only serves to reinforce my belief that despite what was being said publically, BC knew all along that there was no chance of Bosh re-signing in Toronto.

Comment

I think we all have had our moments with NBAers (theshwa's was by far the most awesome) but my favourite was a few years ago. I remember I was in my car stopped at a red light. Was not really paying attention, just listening to the fan590 talk about the raps vs houston when I see Yao Ming and T-mac walk across the street right inches from my car...I just glared at them while they walked by at they looked at me and sorta waved. I know this is stating the obvious buy Yao is pretty big eh?
                Last edited by Red and White; Mon Mar 19, 2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I worked on a Shaggy video (lover lover) back in the early 2000's and Mo Pete and JYD came out for a cameo. They were both super friendly and down to earth. Spent lots of time chatting it up with the crew and JYD was especially interested in the technical aspects of the shoot.

Comment

One night a couple years ago I was at Cheval (against my better judgment). A handful of Houston Rockets were there -- Aaron Brooks, Joey Dorsey, and a few others whom I can't remember. It was about 12:30am. I checked the NBA scores on my phone and discovered the Rockets had played in Philadelphia earlier that night.

Doing some quick math, I determined they absolutely must have come straight from the airport... which made sense, because several of them were wearing sweatpants at the club. Gotta love their dedication to partying.
                    Last edited by Rasho Layup; Mon Mar 19, 2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Lucky! I haven't met a player yet I hope to encounter demar or jerryd(if he's resigned) one day. My friend went on a trip to Mexico for the march break and claims that Kobe Bryant was at his hotel. Wtf was he doing there in the middle of a season?

Comment

I've met Camby, Carlos Rogers, Mugsy, VC, Tmac as a rap, Boogie, Dell, Hump, Jose, Ed, and Reggie. I've come across DD, Amir and Sonny once or twice and a bunch of visiting players. Best of them all was Reggie. He was wandering through Eaton Centre to grab some Thai Express. I guess he must've been staying at the hotel attached because it was mid Feb and he was in shorts. He was super cool even though I kinda bashed Andrea to him he just laughed with that easy toothy grin of his and answered my questions about his rehab and how he was liking Toronto.

Carlos I met just after he lost his shit at EC foot Locker. He went ballistic for some reason and was a dick to me but that's to be expected. Camby hit me up for a discount on a watch when I was working at Eddie Bauer. I'm making 7.50 an hour and he's on a rookie contract (not to mention he got all kinds of money and gifts while in college) and he wants a discount? Fuk outta here! lol
                        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

two dudes going to buy icecream? sounds pretty gay to me......

Comment

Just saw Chase Budinger picking up a chick at the Ace Hotel in New York. Wasn't 100% sure it was him but checked to see where Houston was and they were playing the Nets last Sat.

Comment

Ran into Amir and Sonny Weems last year at Drake's OvO Fest. Amir was a really nice guy and took a pic with me and my cousin. I told Sonny not to go to Europe and he replied with a chuckle.

Comment

Working...
                              X