If picking at #5...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If picking at #5...

Was thinking about this since that insider mock draft i posted in the draft thread, and if we do in fact pick 5th and players like Davis, MKG, Robinson, Beal or even Barnes are off the board (don't declare?) who do you roll with? This is assuming BC doesn't trade up and those guys are off the board.

Me? I don't know. I had to think pretty hard and no one really jumps out at me. Maybe trade down and take Lillard or Marshall?

I think its imperative for BC to get a impact rookie out of this draft and if that means trading up, so be it. But like i said, pretend he's not going to, who do you pick?
    @sweatpantsjer

ceez wrote: View Post
    Was thinking about this since that insider mock draft i posted in the draft thread, and if we do in fact pick 5th and players like Davis, MKG, Robinson, Beal or even Barnes are off the board (don't declare?) who do you roll with? This is assuming BC doesn't trade up and those guys are off the board.

Me? I don't know. I had to think pretty hard and no one really jumps out at me. Maybe trade down and take Lillard or Marshall?

I think its imperative for BC to get a impact rookie out of this draft and if that means trading up, so be it. But like i said, pretend he's not going to, who do you pick?
    If those guys are gone I'm taking Lamb or Perry Jones. Or trade down for Utah's two picks and grab both Lillard and Miller/Jones
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

*This will be moved to Draft in a couple of days*

Personally, I don't think any decisions can be made.

The standard line is take the best player available and work out the rest of the roster later - and I agree with that mentality.

Given the unknowns of who will return (Bayless?), possible trades (anyone!), and free agent targets with the roster plus not knowing who will be available at the hypothetical 5-spot, I'm content to wait impatiently until the draft order is at least confirmed.

Sorry - don't mean to be a Debbie Downer.

Comment

Best player available. Whether it be Drummond, Lamb, Lillard, Rivers, Marshall, Leonard, whoever. Pick the best player left and don't look back.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Best player available. Whether it be Drummond, Lamb, Lillard, Rivers, Marshall, Leonard, whoever. Pick the best player left and don't look back.
          +1

Bryan has had a pretty good draft record.. I trust him to get the BPA.

Comment

I believe we need an impact rookie as well. If we don't have stars available when we pick, trade up or out of the draft!!
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
              I believe we need an impact rookie as well. If we don't have stars available when we pick, trade up or out of the draft!!
              If you review Colangelo's track record when he uses his picks versus when he trades his picks away you'll discover that the difference in success rate is staggering. If he moves the pick history says it will be a colossal mistake. He needs to use that pick. This draft is deep and a star is just as likely to be drafted at #8 as it is at #4 in my opinion. It's one of those drafts. For example Drummond is slotted in at #5 and Lamb at #8 in NBAdraft.net mock. Either one of those guys could arguably be the second best player selected in 2012.

Comment

I really don't like the idea of drafting Drummond, however, the idea of him and big Val up front together is kind of intriguing.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I guess you are right, hows next years draft looking? Deep? Star heavy on top? or relatively weak?
                  It may be smart to grab a high pick next year rather than settle for a middle-of-the line pick this year. It might be better to have less than 2 starting rookies at once anyways.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Trading for a pick in next years draft guarantees nothing but wasted the time and money invested in this years' draft... If the idea is trading the current pick. The Raptors could be sitting in a worse position next year. People keep saying this is a deep draft. People keep saying this is a better draft than 2011. What's the problem here? Wade went 5th overall. No one predicted he'd have the career he's had. Have faith.

Also, they could be drafting 1st overall for all we know. I can't wait for the lotto!

Comment

Drummond seems like an interesting way to go at 5.

He can play the 5 and the 4 ... Put him in as backup at both 4 or 5 let Gray swallow the garbage minutes
                      trade Amir and Ed

A front court rotation of Bargs/JV/Drummond would give at least 27 or the other 29 teams fits
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Oh oh oh...Sulinger gets my vote as well he would be an excellent 3rd big
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Assuming those 5 players are off the board, either having been drafted or not declaring (Davis, MKG, Barnes, Beal, Robinson), I would be very tempted to trade down to acquire both Utah picks or both Portland picks (if they also get NJ's top-3 protected pick), assuming neither Utah/Portland were a team that picked ahead of us.

In that situation, I think the Raptors should then try to pick a wing (PJII, Miller, Lamb) and a PG (Marshall, Lillard) with the two lower lottery picks.

I would gladly use any combination of our 2 2nd round picks, Bayless and one of Amir/Davis as trade bait along with our own lottery pick, to acquire 2 lower lottery picks in this scenario.

Comment

I'd say Barnes is more Carmelo Anthony than Jason Kabono first off.
                            But Barnes is actually humble and high character.

Despite the negative opinion of him around these boards, he's still being projected #2 by NBA.com.
                            So he can't be that horrible ... Lol
                            But keeping that in mind, at #5 I'd go for Beal or James McAdoo. (I'd actually go for PJ3, and just not say until the very last minute.)
                            Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 20, 2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

i would hope that utah would trade 11 and 12 for 5 or 6 if we are there. grab a miller or jones if he drops and marshall.

Comment

Working...
                              X