Waiting until 2013?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chrischris wrote: View Post

It comes down to the Raps franchise not being able to afford another season of waiting. Especially Colangelo. Even though he is arguably one of the best GM's out there...I doubt he is resigned if things dont turn around by the midpoint of next season
    This is exactly the same kind of thinking that got them where they are right now.

What people like ebrian don't acknowledge is that the quick fix, while pleasing in the short-term, usually leads to mediocrity and awfulness long term (i.e. Your Toronto 2012 Raptors!). Yeah, go out and bring 2 vets and win a few more games. Get that 8th seed. Except, the next year, all those teams below you start to go past and you haven't the flexibility or the assets to get better. Then, before you know, you're back in 13th place again looking for the next quick fix.

Building a winning team is a long term process. Anyone selling you the one-hour, quick-fix, instamatic, guaranteed by tomorrow solution is selling snake oil. The fact that most fans still don't seem to understand that is discouraging.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
      Chris, if they were worried about waiting they wouldn't have drafted a guy who wasn't even playing in the NBA this year. I've been waiting for 5+ years and I was pissed when we picked JV (due to the management's blatant disregard for ticket holders), but at this point I'm pretty numb to the whole thing. What's another year anyway. Go Not-Heat!
      So, they draft Kemba Walker and instead of going 20-46 they go 21-45. Except, now they have an undersized PG who can't shoot instead of a 7'0 centre who, by all accounts, has the chance to be a 10-year starter and an anchor NBA centre. If you can't process that, I don't know what to say.

Comment

I like Kemba but saying they should have picked him over big Val is some next level comedy
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          I like Kemba but saying they should have picked him over big Val is some next level comedy
          +1
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
            My answer hasn't changed. I'm still waiting, likely going on 6 years now the way things are looking. Ask me again when JV has played in the NBA. Listen, if you don't have season tickets, you can't even talk to me about this.

Are you serious about Kemba? Sure he's been shooting poorly, but everything else across the board he's been spectacular. Once Augustin leaves by way of free agency, and Kemba spends the offseason learning how to shoot again, he'll be blowing things up. His numbers, for a non-starter, are great for a rookie. Do you realize he's shooting 37% right now? Bump that up to even 40% and he's scoring 20 points per game as a starter. He's already better than Jerryd Bayless (although I realize that's not saying much).
            if you think 40% is a good shooting percentage idk wtf you have been smokin bro. Putting up 20 points on the worst team in the league means nothing.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              This is exactly the same kind of thinking that got them where they are right now.

What people like ebrian don't acknowledge is that the quick fix, while pleasing in the short-term, usually leads to mediocrity and awfulness long term (i.e. Your Toronto 2012 Raptors!). Yeah, go out and bring 2 vets and win a few more games. Get that 8th seed. Except, the next year, all those teams below you start to go past and you haven't the flexibility or the assets to get better. Then, before you know, you're back in 13th place again looking for the next quick fix.

Building a winning team is a long term process. Anyone selling you the one-hour, quick-fix, instamatic, guaranteed by tomorrow solution is selling snake oil. The fact that most fans still don't seem to understand that is discouraging.
              I never said anything about a quick fix or shert term agenda. We need to keep this core young...however, we also need to make sure a winning environment is had next year. You dont just suck for 4 years, gather top picks and then all of a sudden win. You need to steadily move forward. We've had a losing team for 3 years now, acquiring picks along the way. It's time for the next step in the rebuild process. Especially with some of our current player contracts closing out soon, JV + top5 coming next year and Andrea becoming the player we want him to be. JV is used to winning. I dont think its a good idea to bring JV and the new pick into a losing environment.

Regardless of what you think, if you want another losing season...youre out of luck. Ignoring FA signings and trades, this is a playoff team next year. Easily. Let's take advantage of it, while still focusing on the long term goals of the franchise
              Last edited by chrischris; Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I totally agree in the fact that the rebuilding process is a long-term project. BUT, the thing is Toronto has talent and cap flexibility this coming Summer that it's hard to just let another developing season happen once again.

B.C already noted and this has been said countless times, he would like to 'hit the ground running next season'.

We have the ability to do so, Jonas, a highly touted rookie, who some analysts say if it wasn't for the buyout, he would've went much higher, even possibly 1st. 5-10 million dollars in cap flexibility, (correct me if I'm mistaken), another top 5 pick in one of the strongest drafts in the last couple years, and the continued development in a positive nature with this team, EVEN with such a lack of talent.

Great coaching as well, IMO, I think B.C will be very loud this off-season, and this team will take a HUGE step.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                  I totally agree in the fact that the rebuilding process is a long-term project. BUT, the thing is Toronto has talent and cap flexibility this coming Summer that it's hard to just let another developing season happen once again.

B.C already noted and this has been said countless times, he would like to 'hit the ground running next season'.

We have the ability to do so, Jonas, a highly touted rookie, who some analysts say if it wasn't for the buyout, he would've went much higher, even possibly 1st. 5-10 million dollars in cap flexibility, (correct me if I'm mistaken), another top 5 pick in one of the strongest drafts in the last couple years, and the continued development in a positive nature with this team, EVEN with such a lack of talent.

Great coaching as well, IMO, I think B.C will be very loud this off-season, and this team will take a HUGE step.

+1
                  colangelo and casey had the whole year. they know what they have and what they want. casey seems like the kind of guy that will watch every other teams games five times to make sure he scouts each position to fill out our roster. this offseason i think we will spend money but it wont be for home runs like the turk signing. it will be colangelo listening to casey and together choosing the best moves.

only home run that could happen would be batum or nash i think.
                  Last edited by Miekenstien; Fri Mar 23, 2012, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                    +1
                    colangelo and casey had tho whole year. they know what they have and what they want. casey seems like the kind of guy that will watch ever other teams games five times to make sure he scouts each position to fill out our roster. this offseason i think we will spend money but it wont be for home runs like the turk signing. it will be colangelo listening to casey and together choosing the best moves.

only home run that could happen would be batum or nash i think.
                    To be honest, I can even see a homerun, but it's not expected.

Comment

Seriously? I deleted what I wrote to ebrian's high horse season ticket comment. I hope this reply is sarcasm...or I think I'll type it out again
                      It was indeed sarcasm. Sometimes it just isn't worth the effort.

Comment

Regardless of what you think, if you want another losing season...youre out of luck. Ignoring FA signings and trades, this is a playoff team next year. Easily. Let's take advantage of it, while still focusing on the long term goals of the franchise
                        We'll see. Right now, it's a team that will win about 20 games this year, so I'm not sure how it's 'easily' a playoff team next year. I'm not opposed to signing a free agent or trading for good players but some people are acting like this team is really close and all it needs is one or two players. This team needs, in order: a starting centre, a starting SF, a starting SG, a starting PF,and a new PG. Really, just a whole new starting 5. You can't effect that sort of change over night. I know many people on this board think they are much closer but a lot of people thought that in 2007, too, and look how that turned out. They are miles away from a guaranteed playoff team, let alone close to contention.

We've had a losing team for 3 years now, acquiring picks along the way. It's time for the next step in the rebuild process.
                        Except, they haven't even started to rebuild yet. Last year was a total waste. They are still tearing it down. They don't have the pieces to take the next step. They don't have a franchise player. They don't have an elite player. They don't even have an all-star. It's arguable as to whether they even have a single NBA-quality starter outside of a marginal starter like AB. They need JV. They need to hit a homerun this year. Then they need another elite young player. Then, once they have that, they can take the next step. This team is still a couple years away. It sucks but fans have to acknowledge that, otherwise, we're going to get a management team under pressure to WIN NOW!!! and we'll be right back where we are now in 4 years.

Comment

Working...
                        X