X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation from DeRozan sitting out

*This will be moved to DeChozan thread soon*

I noticed this in the Chicago game as well, from A-Dub on the RR homepage:

Yes, DeMar DeRozan has been on a nice scoring streak recently, but there was a fluidity to the offense that a more versatile player like Gary Forbes brings to the table that can`t be overlooked. With DeMar it feels like when he gets the ball, you get one of two results. He either tries to score if there`s an oppurtunity, or he dribbles the ball on the perimeter for a bit and then passes it away. With Forbes, he`s got a little point guard in him that every good guard should have. Let`s make this clear, Gary Forbes is not the talent DeMar DeRozan is. But, his style helps players around him better, and DeRozan right now doesn`t. Without DeRozan dominating the ball, you saw Forbes and Johnson hook up with the bigs for easy buckets. It was nice to see Johnson feed Ed Davis on the break for a powerful dunk. You think Demar, Jerryd Bayless or the departed Leandro Barbosa would have made that pass?

http://raptorsrepublic.com/2012/03/2...g-but-the-win/

I would also like to reiterate A-Dub's comment: Forbes is not the talent DeMar DeRozan is - and that is not the point. Given that DeRozan has started for nearly the last 2 seasons straight, one game without him is not a fair sample size. However, there is no denying having a SG with a handle and three point threat is a definite benefit to the team - even when that SG shot just 6-16 in the game.

Colangelo has made references to DeMar about the need to add strength and get in to the weight room. Colangelo has also made reference to DeMar playing SF. Personally, I think this thinking is along the lines of the comments from A-Dub above - he lacks the skills needed to play SG.

It should be noted that DeMar is just 22 - and not 23 until August. However, if Colangelo feels his skills are plateauing or he might not develop the skills or display the work habits the coaches and management are waiting for, his perceived value around the league might not be higher than this summer. This is especially true given the amount of negative press he has received as a disappointment this season. Also the Chicago broadcasting team referred to DeRozan as the best player on the Raptors. Personally, I don't agree with that but if that is the general consensus around the league, he could be a valuable trade piece.

So something to consider: DeMar might not be part of the future at SG and, given the fluidity the Raptors played with versus Chicago, that might not be a bad thing.

Agree 100%
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If we draft Beal, it seems like a no-brainer to trade DeRozan. He barely affects the game now playing 30+ minutes. Moving him to the bench would only limit his contributions.

Yes DeMar is just 22 years old, but that's still WAY too old to be learning how to dribble. Those are skills he should've developed as a pre-teen.

Comment

I would look at a deal involving Tyreke Evans For Derozan

I don't think many poeple here are high on Evans, but I personally think he would be a good fit here.
        But I also agree thae Beal is looking more and more like perfect pick for us.

Comment

Hello wrote: View Post
          I would look at a deal involving Tyreke Evans For Derozan

I don't think many poeple here are high on Evans, but I personally think he would be a good fit here.
          But I also agree thae Beal is looking more and more like perfect pick for us.
          I was thinking about Evans last week. Last I read, Smart was looking at playing him at the SF. Also, they are building around Cousins and he and Evans are not best-ies from what I've read (could be 100% B.S. though because it is 'reportedly'). Finally, there were rumblings of him being available at the trade deadline.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I was thinking about Evans last week. Last I read, Smart was looking at playing him at the SF. Also, they are building around Cousins and he and Evans are not best-ies from what I've read (could be 100% B.S. though because it is 'reportedly'). Finally, there were rumblings of him being available at the trade deadline.
            I read an article about him possibly being moved as well. Somebody suggested an Evans and DD trade on another site, which is where I got the idea.
            http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=d6dacos
            A straight trade would work, but would they need more?
            There was a thought about adding in ed as well, but personally I think that would be pushing it...

Edit: Possibly a sign and trade with Bayless? Evans could play a little pg for us if we need him to (not my preference but if we trade bayless and do not get another pg)

Comment

Evans is a big strong 2 guard, he does have decent passing ability and shows signs of being a capable defender. He has not found his 3 point shot in the NBA, but was known as a shooter coming into college, I would be totally open to this switch....will it happen, doubt it, but it would be welcome by me. Derozan just seems to be missing something for me.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Hello wrote: View Post
                I read an article about him possibly being moved as well. Somebody suggested an Evans and DD trade on another site, which is where I got the idea.
                http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=d6dacos
                A straight trade would work, but would they need more?
                There was a thought about adding in ed as well, but personally I think that would be pushing it...

Edit: Possibly a sign and trade with Bayless? Evans could play a little pg for us if we need him to (not my preference but if we trade bayless and do not get another pg)
                I don't know what Sacramento would want. I feel confident they would not just give him away considering 2 years ago he was ROY and people were making references to Oscar Robertson (20/5/5). I think any trade would have to have the Raptors taking back a bad contract (one of Garcia or Salmons) from the Kings perspective.

I do think Evans would benefit greatly from a change of scenery considering what a sh!t show Sacramento has been the last few years. Also their coaching has not been the greatest. Paul Westphal has never been known as a great defensive coach. I wonder what influence Casey could have on a guy like Evans.

Evans is classified as a PG in a lot of places. I wonder what a backcourt of Evans (6'5"/6'6") and Beal (6'4"/6'5") would look like? Both can handle, create, and pass.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  I don't know what Sacramento would want. I feel confident they would not just give him away considering 2 years ago he was ROY and people were making references to Oscar Robertson (20/5/5).
                  Yup, that's the kicker most people are forgetting. That fact alone makes a straight Evans/DeRozan trade unfair for the Kings.

Comment

Evans is too one dimensional imo. He's more of a scorer but then again so is derozan, so its kind of a pointless trade. Evans is just more of a flashy scorer

Comment

Thats how DD feels about this thread

Comment

Sure he is not much of a ball handler but Demar has more upside IMO. If he improves on his defense and gets 10+FTs/game I will be delighted with him. Evans is a genuine SG whose game complements Demar's. Its worth trying to sign him but I doubt he would sign long-term with us. I would rather keep the low-key Demar if he wants to commit here and draft a SF who can shoot.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                          Sure he is not much of a ball handler but Demar has more upside IMO. If he improves on his defense and gets 10+FTs/game I will be delighted with him. Evans is a genuine SG whose game complements Demar's. Its worth trying to sign him but I doubt he would sign long-term with us. I would rather keep the low-key Demar if he wants to commit here and draft a SF who can shoot.
                          Evans is not a free agent.

The only guy in the NBA to shoot 10+FT attempts per game is Dwight Howard. The next closest is Kevin Love at 8.6. That statement is beyond unrealistic.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            Evans is too one dimensional imo. He's more of a scorer but then again so is derozan, so its kind of a pointless trade. Evans is just more of a flashy scorer
                            Evans consistently rebounds, creates for others, and creates his own shot. Those are three things DeMar can't or won't do consistently.

Comment

Sorry, whether or not Demar is a 2 or 3. I'm not giving up on him.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X