X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Insider - NBA Draft Blog Sneak Peek - Beal, Marshall, Barnes

They profiled a ton of players, here's three of interest:

Bradley Beal, SG, Florida

Beal came into the season ranked No. 5 on our Big Board and after a rocky start to the season, he came on as Florida's best player in the tournament. He had one of his best games of the year against Marquette, scoring 21 points, shooting 8-for-10 from the field, grabbing six boards, handing out four assists and getting two blocks and two steals. He showed off that all-around game that has some scouts comparing him to Eric Gordon with a higher ceiling. Florida lost a heartbreaker versus Louisville in the Elite Eight, but Beal played well there, too. If he declares, he remains a virtual lock for the Top 5. We've moved him up to No. 3 overall on our Big Board.

Kendall Marshall, PG, North Carolina

Marshall didn't play one minute this weekend and his draft stock still took another major jump. Why? Because without him orchestrating things from the point, North Carolina's other six high school All-Americans struggled to get any semblance of an offense going. Marshall's unselfishness can sometimes get lost when he's on the court. But when you saw players like Barnes and John Henson try to create without him, they looked very ordinary. It's not inconceivable that if Marshall declares and his broken wrist is healed, he could be the first or second point guard off the board and go somewhere in the 9-to-14 range.

Harrison Barnes, F, UNC

At this stage in the game, it's pretty hard for a top prospect to really do much damage to his stock. These are high-pressure games and no NBA scout is going to base an overall performance evaluation on one or two contests. With that said, Barnes' struggles this weekend without Marshall on the floor were alarming. He struggled to create any offense for himself, was often left taking off-balance jump shots and, with the exception of a hot streak toward the end of the first half versus Kansas, didn't look anything like the special player we all believed he could become. Barnes ended up going 8-for-30 from the field and, for the most part, it looked worse than the box score suggests. We've known for a while that Barnes struggles as a ball handler and can be one-dimensional, but without Marshall setting him up in the spots he wants to get to, he just isn't able to do too much.

With all of that said, a number of GMs still believe he can be a very effective weapon at the NBA level. His size and shooting ability for his position are good. Put him on the right team, with the right point guard, and don't ask him to be a superstar, and Barnes could still have a very effective NBA career. I don't think he's a franchise-changer, but if he continues to develop, Danny Granger or Luol Deng might be his upside. If he doesn't live up to his potential? Maybe he is the second coming of Martell Webster.

I think most of these were posted in the draft forum

Comment

Barnes is a scary choice for me. We need someone who can create.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
        They profiled a ton of players, here's three of interest:
        I like Beal and Marshall, but anything on MKG? I'm very interested on what ESPN has to say about this guy.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Ya, Barnes took a dive for me during this tourney. I was really high on him before, but now he makes me a little nervous. I think he was facing a lot of double teams and pressure, but I also noticed he really didn't have some of the athleticism that other guys have. At such a high draft spot, I would like to see more of a full package. To bad we are stacked at PF, because if Robinson came to us at 4 or 5 I wouldn't want to pass him up.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
            Ya, Barnes took a dive for me during this tourney. I was really high on him before, but now he makes me a little nervous. I think he was facing a lot of double teams and pressure, but I also noticed he really didn't have some of the athleticism that other guys have. At such a high draft spot, I would like to see more of a full package. To bad we are stacked at PF, because if Robinson came to us at 4 or 5 I wouldn't want to pass him up.
            We could grab Thomas Robinson and trade out Bargnani for a wing, I wouldn't want to pass up Robinson either.

Comment

Maybe its just finally time to let go of Bargs. Get another pick for him, and a young player and take a shot at one of these young bigs.

Comment

Darien wrote: View Post
                Maybe its just finally time to let go of Bargs. Get another pick for him, and a young player and take a shot at one of these young bigs.
                Exactly, if we are thinking of anything about letting Andrea go, now is the year.

Comment

The more I think about it the more I take a long hard look at Marshall if MKG and Beal are off the board.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

in the mid ones?

Comment

MKG will be gone on #2 pick, only chance to draft him is to get #2 pick, because #1 automaticaly drafts A. Davis. I think it's little possibility that Drummond comes at #2...
                      (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        The more I think about it the more I take a long hard look at Marshall if MKG and Beal are off the board.
                        I would definitely do this as well although trade down to do it with a team that has an asset along withy he pick fr Marshall or an extra pick.

Comment

I don't know if you're going to get teams to give up a pick.

The reality is the team is probably going to end up picking in the 6-10 range where guys like Davis, MKG and Beal will obviously be gone. At that point you just take who you want and roll with it.

Who knew sitting out to games of the tourney would cause a guy's stock to skyrocket?
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Actually, I think we should do anything and everything (package DeMar, Bargs?) to get into the top 3. Maybe 4 if robinson's taken. Players like those three guys don't come around often.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Darien wrote: View Post
                              "Maybe" it's time? It was time 2 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X