Contract Options on Casey & Colangelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract Options on Casey & Colangelo

Jack Armstrong is advocating MLSE pickup both option years on Casey's and Colangelo's contracts.

To clarify, both are locked in for the 2012-13 season. The option year is 2013-14.

I think it's important for off-season recruiting/retention to pick up the option on coach Dwane Casey's contract. You need to signal to your own team, NBA agents, NBA players and opposing GM's that Toronto is committed to winning and committed to their leaders. No messing around here!
    I feel the same way about Bryan Colangelo. Do the same with his option year. You don't let this drag through the time of the official 75 percent purchase of the team by Bell and Rogers. Once the off-season hits on April 27th, the trade discussions and free agent chatter begins. Let's be proactive.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=391557

I definitely agree on Casey, but I'm willing to take a "wait and see" approach on Colangelo.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Mar 28, 2012, 11:25 AM.

100% agree on Casey. His contract should definitely be picked up.

With Colangelo we have to see what he does this off season. He did the right things at the beginning of this year, but the real test is what he does this off season.

We cannot pick up his option until we see what he does.

Comment

I agree with both. BC has been doing a good job rebuilding since Bosh left. I would let him continue building up what he started and see where it goes. If you bring in another GM he's going to want his own coach or his own type of players and the past couple years are going to go to waste.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
        I agree with both. BC has been doing a good job rebuilding since Bosh left. I would let him continue building up what he started and see where it goes. If you bring in another GM he's going to want his own coach or his own type of players and the past couple years are going to go to waste.
        I guess I should rephrase the initial question.

Do you pickup the options now, or wait until the current contracts expire before making the decision? Not picking up Colangelo's contract this summer, doesn't necessarily mean you find a replacement. Colangelo is still under contract for 2012-13.

Comment

I would extend both. Jack makes a very sound argument.

If there were not improvements in the areas that Colangelo spoke of at the start of the year, then I would take the wait and see approach. However, things seem to be moving according to plan and considering how short the extension is (1 year) I would not hesitate at this time. One year can also bring about huge changes in the midst of a rebuild (OKC going from 23 to 50 wins, for example).

As a long time supporter of BC I can honestly say that if the Raptors are not a playoff team after the 2013-2014 season (which would be the end of his 3 year contract) it is absolutely time for him to be shown the door - no if's, and's, or but's.

Comment

I would have no issue with MLSE picking up the option year for both DC and BC. If front office stability/consistency is honestly a factor when players/agents consider various proposals, then I'm even more in favor.

I think DC has brought a defensive intensity to the team and has helped foster a culture change on the franchise through 3/4 of a shortened season, which has been felt by the team, the franchise, the fans and throughout the league. I can't wait to see what DC can do with a much improved team that has a full training camp and much more practice time throughout the season.

As for BC, I've always been a fan of his. A lot of his early moves were big risk/reward type moves, meant to build instant winning teams around Bosh, both in order to capitalize on his time with the Raptors and to attempt to keep him. He had early success after bringing over Garbo & AP and trading Charlie V for Ford, which I think gave him the confidence to swing for the fences a little too freely. Bosh's departure gave him the latitude to finally do a full rebuild from the ground up, which I think he has done a great job with thus far. I think this offseason will be the biggest impact on the franchise's direction since Bosh leaving, since BC has so many assets to work with and so many different directions to go. I do however think he's done enough to warrant having his option picked up, especially if it helps him in his attempt to lure free agents to Toronto this offseason with all the cap space he has to work with.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              100% agree on Casey. His contract should definitely be picked up.

With Colangelo we have to see what he does this off season. He did the right things at the beginning of this year, but the real test is what he does this off season.

We cannot pick up his option until we see what he does.
              That sort of speaks to Jack's argument. He might not have the sway with possible free agents buying in to his vision knowing Colangelo himself might not be around beyond next season.

For the sake of one year and the message it sends to the NBA-community (basically support) I think it is worth it.

Also the impact of JV and the 2012 pick will be more apparent. The reality is those 2 players are going to be the foundation of whatever happens over the next few years.

Comment

Well, if I was the new owner Colangelo would be fired about 5 seconds after we closed the sale but I'm not the new owner, so it does probably make sense to exercise both options soon to signal stability to the market. If this time next year comes and the team is still awful and the new owners don't like the direction, they can fire Colangelo then and eat the last year of his salary. A new GM would likely leave Casey in place for a year anyway for continuity purposes, so that's insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

One thing to keep in mind is that new ownership, when they finally close the purchase, is going to have a huge headache on the Leafs side to deal with first. If they fire Burke, it seems unlikely they'll want general upheaval with their two biggest brand names. Don't discount that affecting Raptor decisions, at least immediately.

Comment

Agree on Casey. His effect on this team has been pronounced. Although the season isn't over yet, I'm not expecting a drop-off.

I've always liked Colangelo. Still though, I'm a little torn on the decision on his option. I'm shaky with his early years, but his post-bosh years have been pretty damn good. I completely believe that he is a total professional as a GM/businessman - Even if his option isn't picked up ASAP, he'll still make decisions for the best of his stakeholders, not for his option.

If the truth is that being proactive with the option will result in stronger perceptions of the organization's commitment to its' management, and if that stronger perception of commitment leads to tangible benefits for the organization, then it is something that the owners of the club need to look into and pursue. If the owners find that this is not the case, then they need not pursue the option ASAP.

Comment

i think we should extend them both. The team is looking good and i think BC will do some good things in the off season to bring in some nice pieces and draft the right player. Just imagine what dwane casey can do with a full summer, i think we'll come out of the gates next season a whole different team. I'm predicting 40 or more wins.

Comment

There's a part of me that doesn't want to reward Colangelo with that extra year of job security without seeing what he does to re-shape the roster first. I want him making decisions thinking he NEEDS to hit homeruns for the sake of feeding his family, lol.

Comment

100% on board with extending Casey.

I am a documented Colangelo hater so I'm less enthusiastic about picking up his extra year and would lean towards the "wait and see" approach. However I do see the value in continuity and the message it sends to players and agents around the league, and considering it's only one more year I don't have a huge problem if MLSE decides to do it.

Comment

Extending both is a no brainer. As mentioned, this is a strong showing for the off-season and gives BC alot of credibility in the league. Worst-case scenario, BC shits the bed this summer, at which point you fire him (and pay him) and let Stefanski run the show for the next 2 years.
                          Welp, that sucked.

Comment

The question is, if it's that simple to extend Colangelo, and fire him if things go south, why didn't MLSE sign him to a 3-year deal right from the start?

By leaving the 3rd year as an option, MLSE clearly wants to evaluate Colangelo before determining if he's fit to lead us back to respectability.

Now we have to ask ourselves, has that evaluation process been completed, or is it still on-going?

Comment

Yeah, Casey and Colangelo both need to be given more time. They're making progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X