Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ed Davis' Future in Toronto (Tim Chisolm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Davis' Future in Toronto (Tim Chisolm)

Tim Chisolm (TSN) seems to think Ed Davis' days in Toronto are numbered:

Davis has seen his numbers drop across the board from his good-but-not-great rookie season. He's rebounding less, both per game and per minute, he's scoring less and his shooting percentage has dropped 7.2 per cent. Amazingly, despite Bargnani's prolonged absence this season, Davis is playing fewer minutes per game than he did a year ago, a drop from 24.6 mpg down to 22.3 mpg. After his solid production last season it seemed inevitable that Davis would see an uptick in playing time, but Casey has not glommed onto Davis like many thought he would and that has left Davis in a precarious position with the club and their future.
    Of course, Davis was never supposed to be in Toronto in the first place. He was almost like an inherited pick, a guy Colangelo took because he thought he should, not because Davis is who he wanted. The roster was never really designed to force development out of Davis like it was for Bargnani and DeRozan, and probably will be next year for Valanciunas. He never felt like a guy the organization was excited to stand behind, just a guy they were happy to have. Davis still has a lot of growing to do as a player and could still turn out to be a fine professional, it's just unlikely that any of that happens with him playing in Toronto.
    www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=392129

I can't help but agree.

I think this article is bang on. I really do like Davis though and hope he does well. I just don't see how he does it in Toronto when Amir brings so much more to the table. To play devil's advocate though, Amir does cost a bit more and that could be a factor
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

This is what sometimes happens when you draft the best player available. It's a good problem to have, he was an excellent pick considering where they got him. When Casey first got here he mentioned multiple players but not Davis. I commented on it then and said it wasn't a good sign for Ed Davis. Now that the season has played out there is buzz that he might be an odd man out. They should be increasing his minutes greatly right now if he's going to be on the block. Market this asset Casey. Market this asset.

Comment

In slightly unrelated news, how sweet would it have been if Paul George fell to us?

Comment

hard to argue with the article. It is what it is. I guess what it boils down to is Ed or Amir? Who's better for us, or more appropriately, who might another team covet? If there was a season for Ed to develop and get playing time, this was it. Unless he just needs to get bigger. I wonder if we'll find out next year.

Comment

I'm a big Ed fan but yeah, i agree.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              This is what sometimes happens when you draft the best player available. It's a good problem to have, he was an excellent pick considering where they got him. When Casey first got here he mentioned multiple players but not Davis. I commented on it then and said it wasn't a good sign for Ed Davis. Now that the season has played out there is buzz that he might be an odd man out. They should be increasing his minutes greatly right now if he's going to be on the block. Market this asset Casey. Market this asset.
              True. Shelve Bargs for the rest of the season with rebounditis and start Ed. Pump up those stats a bit and see if you can flip him for a asset.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                True. Shelve Bargs for the rest of the season with rebounditis and start Ed. Pump up those stats a bit and see if you can flip him for a asset.
                This management team is committed to Bargnani. Pumping up Davis' value comes second to getting Bargnani straightened away. Right or wrong, Ed Davis is an afterthought with this organization. That's been clear since the offseason (as Apollo pointed out). In their defense, as Chisholm notes, Davis has never really done anything to show he is a keeper. He has some talent but he's not productive enough to force their hand. Depends on the draft but I wouldn't be surprised if he's part of a package moving somewhere for other assets.

Comment

I think regardless of their 2012 draft pick, with JV on his way and both Colangelo and Casey mentioning that the Raptors might target a veteran tough guy big man in free agency, one of the bigs has to go. I think that bigman is either Amir or Ed. I don't know which has more value because Amir has proven more but people probably perceive Ed as having more upside... Amir offers more versatility, that's for sure. My money is on him staying and Ed going no matter what happens in the draft.

Comment

I say bring back Reggie Evans
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

i say just keep gray
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Ed has had his opportunities. sometimes he has produced, and sometimes not, but the one thing that has been consistent is lack of effort. Even when Amir isn't having a good game, he is trying hard. You can put his lack of production down to nagging injury, bad match-up or maybe having the flu. With Ed it almost always looks like he just doesn't want to make the effort. Not wanting to make the effort or not being able to are functionally equivalent, as far as I am concerned.

If other GM's see him as having a great upside (as many on this board do) then wonderful. Find him a new home and plug up one of the other holes in the roster, because with JV, AMir, AB and a low cost body like Gray or Magloir, the Raps are fine as far as bigs go.

Comment

The Raptors have so many assets to work with, whether it's ahead of the draft or during the free agency period prior to the season, I think this team will look seriously different come next season.

- Barbosa TPE (pre-draft only)
                          - Bayless (via S&T)
                          - Amir or Davis (or both)
                          - DeRozan (slightly less likely)
                          - Calderon (slightly less likely)
                          - 2 2nd round picks
                          - 2013 1st round pick (if playoffs are goal of 2012-2013 season)

I keep going back to the thought that DeRozan and either Amir/Davis could be traded together for an additional lottery pick. The Raptors could get MKG with one pick and use the other pick to take Beal to replace DeRozan.

Or they keep DeRozan, but trade Davis (perhaps with both 2nd round picks) for a late lottery pick, to grab Marshall as the PG-of-the-future. Still hopeful of MKG with their own lottery pick in this case.

It all comes down to dealing from positions of strength/depth to add players/picks to use to fill gaps in the roster.
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Apr 3, 2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

somehow magically getting MKG AND Beal would cause semen to stain the mountaintops
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              somehow magically getting MKG AND Beal would cause semen to stain the mountaintops
                              What would cause me to stain some mountaintops, would be this scenario:

1. Get the #2/#3 pick in the lottery (draft MKG)
                              2. Trade Davis & pick(s) (any combo of 2 2012 2nd round picks and 2013 1st round pick) for a late lottery pick (draft Marshall)
                              3. Trade DeRozan & Calderon & pick(s) (whichever are left from 2. above) to Portland for an early lottery pick (draft Beal)
                              4. Sign Nash
                              5. Re-sign Gray

C: Valanciunas, Gray
                              PF: Bargnani, Amir, Kleiza
                              SF: MKG, JJ, Kleiza
                              SG: Beal, Forbes
                              PG: Nash, Marshall

With the cap space available, I'd even be tempted to go after another more established starting SG (ie: OJ Mayo), which would bump Beal into the 2nd unit and Forbes into the 3rd SG/PG role as the 12th man.
                              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Apr 3, 2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X