Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ed Davis' Future in Toronto (Tim Chisolm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Aminu, the guy is not as good as James Johnson, and may be even less of an offensive threat. While is is 3 years younger, I don't see it as any great upgrade that could put us over any type of hump.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Can we get someone whom can produce more than Ed at the price we're paying him right now and for the next ..is it two years? He's played well as of late and looks to have accepted a role of being a defensive player. He should come back stronger and more skilled next season and could be a good back up at both PF and C postion. Injuries happen and I think we can all agree that he wasn't ready to step in this season while Gray was, but Gray has already reached his ceiling while Ed has barely begun. If there was a good reason to move him like to have more $$ for free agency or if you could get another good lottery pick then it should be considered, but you're not going to get anything great back for him right now so they should hold onto him and see how he develops...he's still on a rookie scale contract so it doesn't cost the team much having him around and there is a really good chance he breaks out next season if he gets stronger and has a full training camp with Casey. Perhaps I'm over valueing him, but I don't thinks so. As of late he seems to be playing harder.
      Good point. And remember, all bigs take 5 years to develop.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
        I don't see it as any great upgrade that could put us over any type of hump.
        You think they can get that from trading Ed Davis? Who can they get then?

Comment

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
          Good point. And remember, all bigs take 5 years to develop.
          I'm willing to put money on Valanciunas taking a lot less than 5 years

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
            Also, don't forget the potential S&T of Sonny ... maybe nothing ... maybe something small ... but could be another asset, if he gets healthy.
            Wouldn't it be ironic if they traded Davis for a late lottery pick to draft Marshall... traded for his own UNC teammate!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Wouldn't it be ironic if they traded Davis for a late lottery pick to draft Marshall... traded for his own UNC teammate!
              I would be pretty okay with that trade
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                somehow magically getting MKG AND Beal would cause semen to stain the mountaintops
                Youre like Heinz 2.0

Comment

I think giving up on Ed is still a bit premature.

The guy played in his rookie year after being off for a whole season from college basketball. Then he misses training camp due to a knee injury. and this year, no training camp and no practices.

I would trade Amir over him.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

The guy played in his rookie year after being off for a whole season from college basketball. Then he misses training camp due to a knee injury. and this year, no training camp and no practices.

There really is no time/space to "develop" Davis though. He's not going to get the minutes to learn through his mistakes. He's not afforded that luxury this season, so we can guarantee he'll have an even shorter leash next season (when we're actually competing for a playoff spot). And if we're not going to make a conscious effort to develop him, why bother keeping him around? He's better used as a trade asset to help make the team better next year.

Having 2 front court rotation players learn how to play next year, doesn't sound promising (unless their names are Jonas and Anthony).

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

I would prefer to trade Amir too, as I got into many an argument with Tim W during the offseason about just that.

However, given age, potential, salary, etc... I would imagine that there are a lot more teams interested in trading for Davis than there are for Amir, especially if the Raptors don't want to take salary back.

Plus, if Calderon does stay around next season and even beyond as the veteran backup PG, he and Amir would have good chemistry together to provide some scoring punch to the 2nd unit.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        There really is no time/space to "develop" Davis though. He's not going to get the minutes to learn through his mistakes. He's not afforded that luxury this season, so we can guarantee he'll have an even shorter leash next season (when we're actually competing for a playoff spot). And if we're not going to make a conscious effort to develop him, why bother keeping him around? He's better used as a trade asset to help make the team better next year.

Having 2 front court rotation players learn how to play next year, doesn't sound promising (unless their names are Jonas and Anthony).
                        I dont see a reason why he cant develop alongside JV, and the new draft pick coming, well, unless they draft Davis or another PF. Its not like he will be given heavy minutes, Bargnani will still be the starting PF and will play 35-40mins a game. Right now, Amir is eating into his minutes, and vice-versa. If they trade Amir, then Davis will be the first PF off the bench. IMO, he needs at least 20mins a game. At worst, he's a young version of Amir anyways.

Comment

Yes, but Amir is getting the minutes now because he's better than Ed.

By keeping Ed, we're gambling/hoping that he gets better based on nothing more than a handful of encouraging games this season.

But with Amir, you could definitely make the argument he's overpaid, but you know exactly what you're going to get from him, and he simply knows his role. I think we'd be hard-pressed to find a better backup PF who accepts his role and fits Casey's system.

Comment

Again, why trade him at all? You're paying him very little right now, and you're not going to get anything of value in return. If you want to just move one of the bigs because of the log gam of bigs just send Alabi packing and place Davis at the end of the bench. At the very least you have a much higher drafted player with much more potential at the end of the bench ready to sub in when required.

Comment

I think he functions much better as an asset that can be traded
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

3 - 4 million is a lot of money to pay your 12th man
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X