Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sounds about right, though -- the BC mind-reading by Brotherston, I mean.

#8 and assets probably gets you a good starting SF. Might have to overpay a bit (ie. Rudy Gay), but that's the nature of the beast if you want to improve. I personally like the Draymond Green pick in the 2nd round, esp. if the player overpaid for in the first transaction is a PG (Dragic/Lowry sign-and-trade, for instance) -- I think he's underrated and fits what Casey is trying to do in Toronto, defensively and chemistry-wise. Plus he's one of the smartest players in the draft, and makes up for some physical limitations that way. At 37, I think he'd be great.

There are a few interesting players at 8 -- I personally like Lillard, Marshall, and Harkless best -- but none I would think twice about including in a trade for a starter-quality 1 or 3.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• I'll withhold judgement until he pulls the trigger but history suggests he gets better value out of using picks than trading them.

Comment

• Trade the Pick.

Jose Calderon + Ed Davis + 1st round pick + 2nd round pick

for

Andre Iguodala Or Danny Granger.

This is the most I would be willing to give up to upgrade to semi-star status at the SF.
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• IF we end up NOT trading the pick, I can see a scenario where we move Derozan to the 3 and draft a SG like Jeremy Lamb. Though this is not my preference it does make sense. Derozan can focus on what he does best, slashing, hitting the mid range jumper, and getting to the line, while we bring in someone who is more of a true SG.
          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
            IF we end up NOT trading the pick, I can see a scenario where we move Derozan to the 3 and draft a SG like Jeremy Lamb. Though this is not my preference it does make sense. Derozan can focus on what he does best, slashing, hitting the mid range jumper, and getting to the line, while we bring in someone who is more of a true SG.
            Demar can play the 3 on occasion, but he shouldn't be counted on to play major minutes at the SF position. He's undersized, has no handles and no consistent jumper to keep defenses honest. Personally, and this is just me, I'd look into dealing him for either a point guard to take over for Calderon or for a true small forward.

Comment

• Trading down or out of the first round entirely for veteran help would be so incredibly premature for this team and will without a doubt put us right back on the treadmill. If anything they should be looking to trade up and increase the likelyhood of landing a true allstar. Building around Derozan, Bargnani, Jonas, and Granger is sheer stupidity. High draft picks on rookie contracts are the most valuable pieces this team can acquire.

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                Jose Calderon + Ed Davis + 1st round pick + 2nd round pick

for

Andre Iguodala Or Danny Granger.

This is the most I would be willing to give up to upgrade to semi-star status at the SF.
                That is a lot to give up for Granger or AI. Both are on the downside of their careers and experiencing multi-year slides in production.

I would be very disappointed with AI or Granger at the expense of the 1st round pick.

Comment

• Brasky wrote: View Post
                  Trading down or out of the first round entirely for veteran help would be so incredibly premature for this team and will without a doubt put us right back on the treadmill. If anything they should be looking to trade up and increase the likelyhood of landing a true allstar. Building around Derozan, Bargnani, Jonas, and Granger is sheer stupidity. High draft picks on rookie contracts are the most valuable pieces this team can acquire.
                  It all depends who is acquired with the #8 pick. I agree that players like Granger or Iguodala would lead the franchise into mediocrity, especially if the #8 pick and other assets are required to get them in trade. However, if a player like Rudy Gay was acquired, who is younger and better than Granger/AI, I would suddenly feel much better about the deal.

For instance, I would be all over this trade:
                  # 8 pick & DeRozan & Amir & JJ --> Gay & #25 pick

- Gay would become the starting SF, Kleiza backup (JJ is extra, no big loss)
                  - trading Amir would clearup logjam at PF, allowing Davis to backup Bargnani (Amir is extra, no big loss)
                  - obviously DD would need to be replaced via draft, free agency or additional trade (a big loss, but Gay is an upgrade and the draft picks and/or cap space should be able to find a replacement starting SG)
                  - Toronto would still have the #25, #37 and #56 picks to add players (or use as assets to trade back into the mid-first round)

In that scenario, I think the #8 pick would prove to be quite valuable in a trade scenario and I don't think there are any players likely to be available at #8 that are as sure a thing as Gay.

Comment

• If he trades the pick he is throwing away the future just to make the playoffs next season

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                      If he trades the pick he is throwing away the future just to make the playoffs next season
                      I think it all depends on what he gets back with the pick. If its an over the hill veteran like Paul Pierce than yeah I agree. However if its a guy that can be part of the core for years to come like Rudy Gay then I think its worth it.

Rudy Gay is only 26 years old. He still has 6-8 solid years left in him.

Comment

• Guys, would you rather us be like Sacramento who all they have are young players, who can't play together? Let's hope that BriCo can make a similar Kawhi Leonard for George Hill trade.
                        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                          Guys, would you rather us be like Sacramento who all they have are young players, who can't play together? Let's hope that BriCo can make a similar Kawhi Leonard for George Hill trade.
                          1. its not the kings players fault the team drafted a bunch of tweeners and threw them together with a crappy coach
                          2. leonard is the better player in that deal so...
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            1. its not the kings players fault the team drafted a bunch of tweeners and threw them together with a crappy coach
                            2. leonard is the better player in that deal so...
                            How about Washington? At the end of the day balance is what works best, and not by using 20yr olds balanced with 35yr olds.

We do need some veteran presence but it IS essential there is a young group of TALENTED players that grow with the team.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
                              How about Washington? At the end of the day balance is what works best, and not by using 20yr olds balanced with 35yr olds.

We do need some veteran presence but it IS essential there is a young group of TALENTED players that grow with the team.
                              It also helps you don't have a team of headcases and chuckers
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Brasky wrote: View Post
                                Trading down or out of the first round entirely for veteran help would be so incredibly premature for this team and will without a doubt put us right back on the treadmill. If anything they should be looking to trade up and increase the likelyhood of landing a true allstar. Building around Derozan, Bargnani, Jonas, and Granger is sheer stupidity. High draft picks on rookie contracts are the most valuable pieces this team can acquire.
                                You got that right. This "hit the ground running" thing is being stretched into franchise busting recommendations. Even Gay though a very good player is being paid as a franchise player (remember Bosh?) While there is need for a good wing he is not the type (i dont think) who would make this team at this stage of its evolution exponentially better. I would say him going to the Mavs or a Clippers type team who want to go over the top would be where he would excel. He will cost much in assets as well as a cap hit. I would target this year slightly lower tier players with experience and an upside like Chandler and Batum or Green and keep the pick. If this team improves going forward this is the last year for awhile I hope we shall be picking this high. It is a terrific asset not to be trivialized unless we get a around 12-15 back in a deal. Regarding the cap I am leaning towards keeping the powder dry for a year and let some of the teams out there get into trouble so we can get something good on the cheap around next deadline.

Comment

Working...
                                X