Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think you have tunnel vision.

Your scenario is one way in which it can play out. It may or may not be the most likely.

How have so many draft night trades happened where picks are exchanged. Any trade would be contingent on the wanted players being available. This is why the Raptors would pick the best player available at their pick and if a possible trade does not work out, so be it. A perfect example is the Indiana-San Antonio trade. Do you think San Antonio handed over Hill before it was known Leonard would be available?

Here is something else I don't feel that has been considered and it is another unknown so I'll apologize now for making assumptions on Colangelo's behalf. What IF Colangelo feels Holiday is better than any player he could use his pick on. What if he traded the Raps pick for Holiday and 76er pick. So in keeping with hitting the ground running and getting the best player available, the Raps have that with Holiday then at the 76er pick they take the best player available no matter who it is or who BC hopes is available.

I don't think it is a stretch that a 21 year old, 6'4", defensive minded, NBA proven PG who can create for himself and has a solid outside shot would be the best player the Raptors can get with a pick in the 6-10 range. No, he is not a draft pick but he could fall under the umbrella of the best player available - thinking outside the box, of course.
    Ok, so you've blown past the main idea of the thread. The thread questioned should they trade the pick and not should they trade the player they've picked after the fact. So yeah, I have tunnel vision. It's calibrated to the exact specifications of post #1 by Ceez. My answers are influenced by the thread topic.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Apr 10, 2012, 12:09 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Ok, if the Raps trade the pick I'll buy everyone wings.
      Cool beans!
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Ok, so you've blown past the main idea of the thread. The thread questioned should they trade the pick and not should they trade the player they've picked after the fact. So yeah, I have tunnel vision. It's calibrated to the exact specifications of post #1 by Ceez. My answers are influenced by the thread topic.
        I could have gone astray, it wouldn't be the first time. Apologies for that.

Personally, unless you are drafting #1 or in this year's case #2 where #1 is a given, I wouldn't trade a pick until draft night for the very reasons you have outlined.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          Cool beans!
          No, I remember it going more like this:
          Ok, if the Raps trade the pick I'll let Ceez buy everyone wings.

Comment

You can't take back what you promised Apollo!
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Alright, if they trade the pick I'll send you that Paul McCartney CD you're always bugging me for. He's not my cup of tea but whatever. Maybe they'll change the Raptors' intro song to "Hey Jude" or something for 2012/13. It would please the growing "Tank Nation" that's for sure.

Comment

Raptors Intro livin' in Rack City.

I thought they shouldv'e stayed with Ni**as in Paris.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Hypothetical trade would happen draft night. I don't recall you saying the trade would not happen draft night - so there you go.

I thought we've agreed all along this is hypothetical. The crystal ball comment and Colangelo on speed dial is inappropriate given the parameters of the conversation. At what point have I claimed that anything I'm saying is what BC is thinking? I've gone out of my way to make that clear. Remember the title of this thread is "trade the pick". Maybe you should start a thread, "For the love of all that is sacred and pure, no matter what happens or is available on draft night, don't trade the pick under any circumstances!"

I don't think you did get my point because the best player available was taken by the Raptors. If a trade can't be worked out, they still have the best player available.
                  i didn't realize this was parent/teacher interviews. lol
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Of course, this is all hypothetical and the odds of it happening in any respect is equivalent to me getting a call up to replace Gray in the starting lineup as the season continues onwards.
                    I didn't realize how tall you were.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      I didn't realize how tall you were.
                      maybe, because you've never seen him before and he's never mentioned it.
                      ... ya, i know buzzkill of the day.

please,hold the applause.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                        maybe, because you've never seen him before and he's never mentioned it.
                        ... ya, i know buzzkill of the day.

please,hold the applause.
                        Hmmmm, actually I have mentioned my height before. I figure if Chuck Hayes can play the 5, I might have a shot considering I'm an inch taller than him - lol.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          Raptors Intro livin' in Rack City.

I thought they shouldv'e stayed with Ni**as in Paris.
                          Rack city cause MLSE be makin Racks all day with the Raps and Jays.

Comment

• Trade the pick?

If there is a chance to land Davis, it’s extremely long odds one way or the other. It’s a shot in the dark.

And after Davis the argument can be made there is no quick fix in this draft. The drop off after him is substantial.

The Raptors, as we mentioned, might trade their first pick.

They will already be adding Jonas Valanciunas next season. Despite all that you have heard about his exploits at the under-19 FIBA world championship and later the senior men’s Eurobasket championship, Valanciunas will require time and plenty of patience before he’s NBA ready.

Now throw another first-round selection from this year’s draft into the mix. That’s two roster spots taken up by players who likely won’t contribute much in their first season in the league.

Then factor in GM Bryan Colangelo. Colangelo will be in the second year of a two-year extension and you have to wonder if he can afford to be that patient.

Does he trade the pick?

It’s about this time that probably half the Raptors fan base throws up its hands and screams at the top of their lungs, “No, heavens, no. A thousand times no.”

You’ve waited this long for a contender, you’re willing to stay the course, right?

The Raptors, as an organization, is not. At least all signs point that way.

From Colangelo who needs to see immediate progress to Dwane Casey who wants it sooner rather the later, the more likely play is to package the pick with one of your existing assets and turn it into an experienced NBA veteran.

The kind who has already established himself in the league and doesn’t need to be brought up to speed. The kind who can help you right away.

Bring a second rookie into the fold and you’re not only not going to be able to help him as much, you’re going to take away from the help you can give Valanciunas.

Obviously if the Raptors do luck out and somehow land that No. 1 pick that brings with it Anthony Davis, all bets are off.

Otherwise this just might be the path the Raptors choose to take.

So save yourself the angst about whether they lose their final three games.

For all the difference it’s going to make, it’s just not worth it.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball.../19663321.html
                            If the Raptors are in the top three picks, I am not interested in trading the pick (Davis, MKG, Beal).

If the Raptors are not in the top three picks, I would certainly entertain what offers are out there.

Comment

• If we get picks 5,6 or 7, I'd say trade it to Portland for Nic Batum straight up.
                              They are in rebuild mode.
                              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• if they are in rebuild they would want to keep batum...

Comment

Working...
                                X