Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LBF wrote: View Post
    How do you know anybody won't leave after their rookie contract? How rare is it?
    The first big money contract is right after the rookie deal. With the larger raises, Bird Rights, restricted free agency, and guaranteed money, the first big money contract is not an issue.

The second contract contract is where things get interesting because they are no longer restricted. Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, LBJ, Deron Williams, Douche Howard, and Chris Paul are all great examples.

Comment

• So, we're talking... what... 7, 8 years before leaving is an option.

And Deron Williams is not a great example since he never straight up said definitely, he wanted out. Just that he was getting real frustrated with Utah and he wanted out if things weren't turned around. I think Utah fucked D. Will and Sloan, not the other way.

But, besides the point I guess.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

So, we're talking... what... 7, 8 years before leaving is an option.

And Deron Williams is not a great example since he never straight up said definitely, he wanted out. Just that he was getting real frustrated with Utah and he wanted out if things weren't turned around. I think Utah fucked D. Will and Sloan, not the other way.

But, besides the point I guess.
        I was just answering the question you put out there. If a player is worth having, they rarely leave after the rookie deal. The 2nd contract is the issue - that was all I was saying.

Regarding Williams in Utah, Toronto and Cleveland were the guinea pigs for teams to learn what to do when a star player won't sign an extension - especially a max extension. At the time of his trade the Carmelo saga just ended in Denver and everyone was getting ready to speculate on Williams. Utah offered the extension which he wouldn't sign and the rumours were circulating that he was leaving. Utah did the absolute correct thing and sent him packing and got maximum value in return (basically 2 top 3 draft picks from 2010 and 2011 draft).

Comment

• Generally I think people leave after their rookie contract for 1 of 2 reasons:

1) Bad chemistry, system sucks. We have Casey so I'm fairly confident this won't be a problem for the Raptors going forward.
          2) Playing time. Player was drafted as BPA when the team already had someone else playing that position. The kid never got to play, or never got to start and wants to try a different team where he'll get that chance. Usually this means he wasn't that good to begin with, or there is something silly happening in upper management.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I was just answering the question you put out there. If a player is worth having, they rarely leave after the rookie deal. The 2nd contract is the issue - that was all I was saying.

Regarding Williams in Utah, Toronto and Cleveland were the guinea pigs for teams to learn what to do when a star player won't sign an extension - especially a max extension. At the time of his trade the Carmelo saga just ended in Denver and everyone was getting ready to speculate on Williams. Utah offered the extension which he wouldn't sign and the rumours were circulating that he was leaving. Utah did the absolute correct thing and sent him packing and got maximum value in return (basically 2 top 3 draft picks from 2010 and 2011 draft).
            I wasn't on you. If I will be in the future. Which I'm sure I will as will you. I'll put ! at the end of sentences.

I agree with you, amd understand what you're saying. I just think Utah... sorry just saw that ugly tanned lady that took her kid to the tan salon on the tv, threw up and completely lost train of thought...

Uhm...ya...

yep. Completely gone.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

I wasn't on you. If I will be in the future. Which I'm sure I will as will you. I'll put ! at the end of sentences.

I agree with you, amd understand what you're saying. I just think Utah... sorry just saw that ugly tanned lady that took her kid to the tan salon on the tv, threw up and completely lost train of thought...

Uhm...ya...

yep. Completely gone.
              lol

Comment

lol
                I'm not sure you've seen this lady. But, she literally thinks she is the polar opposite of what she is and this fifteen minutes of fame she has got has not helped.

She looks like a 20 year old leather couch used by a family of five.

Comment

I'm not sure you've seen this lady. But, she literally thinks she is the polar opposite of what she is and this fifteen minutes of fame she has got has not helped.

She looks like a 20 year old leather couch used by a family of five.
                  Or Michael Jackson's original skin.

Comment

Or Michael Jackson's original skin.
                    Or if Richard Simmons and dog the bounty hunter had a child.

Comment

Or if Richard Simmons and dog the bounty hunter had a child.
                      Or the time Ted Danson showed up with Whoopi Goldberg painted as a black man.

Comment

Or the time Ted Danson showed up with Whoopi Goldberg painted as a black man.
                        I dont know if you know/remember that there was a big hulaballoo (the blackface thing) about that event. I remember it as funny and that they did it to get back at those who had a problem with their relationship (interracial).

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                          I dont know if you know/remember that there was a big hulaballoo (the blackface thing) about that event. I remember it as funny and that they did it to get back at those who had a problem with their relationship (interracial).
                          Yes, I remember it and the big fuss.

I am still shocked to this day. I guess Whoopi's big mouth overcame many other factors - the least of which she is black. That is the only rational explanation I can come up with as to why they hooked up and stayed up at least for a little while.

Comment

Yes, I remember it and the big fuss.

I am still shocked to this day. I guess Whoopi's big mouth overcame many other factors - the least of which she is black. That is the only rational explanation I can come up with as to why they hooked up and stayed up at least for a little while.
                            If u havent already check out their movie "Made in America" one of my all time funnies like "Kelly's Heroes"....I never get tired of watching these all these years later.

Comment

• Really?

They hooked up.

I thought you said Ted Turner for a sec and was like that makes sense. But, Teddy Danson, weird.

I might've tooken a look at Pat Swayze before Whoopi. Assuming I couldn't lure Demi away from bald spot willis.

Hell, I might even get hitched with theodore rex.

Comment

• Steve

Do you think the raps will attempt to aquire another top 15 pick in the draft? They could try to snag the 10th or 11th pick and have a shot at landing Jermy Lamb if he is still on the board

Stephen Brotherston

Colangelo admitted its tough to be a playoff team with 2 rookies in the rotation – and next season’s goal is the playoffs. Adding another top 15 pick would mean 3 rookies. It is more likely the Raps trade their 1st than acquire another 1st.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...otherston-5712
                                I hope that is not the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X