Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a heartbeat I would. Gay is proven. He's an all-star/borderline allstar. Jones hasn't done shit and may never amount to anything.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
      In a heartbeat I would. Gay is proven. He's an all-star/borderline allstar. Jones hasn't done shit and may never amount to anything.
      ya gay was real impressive in the playoffs... PJ3 hasn't even played single minute in the league and your already ripping him, real classy.

Comment

• It wasn't a "rip". What Mango said about Jones is true. He hasn't done anything (at the NBA level) yet, and it is theoretically possible he ends up a bust.

If we fastforward 5 years, and Perry Jones is playing in the D-League, it would suck looking back to the summer of 2012 and realizing that we gave up chasing Rudy Gay because we assumed Jones was the answer.

Comment

• How bout going through how many times that has already happened to this franchise?
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
            Our team is based on pure potential. We don't have enough talent. Gay is a proven talent and that is what we need. I am all for trading the pick for him.

To me, there are no variables here. I don't care if someone has a "chance" to be better. What are we a bunch of compulsive gamblers?
            Exactly !!!

I can never figure out why some fans prefer to trade our players for "potential". It's like winning some cash, then using it to buy more chances.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              ya gay was real impressive in the playoffs... PJ3 hasn't even played single minute in the league and your already ripping him, real classy.
              I can't believe you're comparing the two.
              On one hand, you have a guy who is in the league and is a proven commodity. He helped lead his team to the playoffs - the NBA playoffs. The other hand, you have a guy who put in 2 underwhelming seasons at the college level. Most people would take the proven commodity, hands down. It has nothing to do with "ripping" on someone, it's just straight facts, homie.

You have a chance to acquire proven talent and you'd turn it down? A possible acquistion of Rudy Gay would make him the best player on this team.

Comment

• the fact is even when you're sticking up for him. you put "he hasn't played a single minute in the nba." which is exactly to the point of what mango is saying.

Also, I don't understand, props, why you are judging gay on his playoff performance?! As I understand it the raptors are trying to get into the playoffs and gay has helped his team in multiple seasons make it to the playoffs.

we're trying to make it in, we aren't already in, trying to add a piece.
                Last edited by LBF; Wed May 23, 2012, 03:23 PM.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                  I can't believe you're comparing the two.
                  On one hand, you have a guy who is in the league and is a proven commodity. He helped lead his team to the playoffs - the NBA playoffs. The other hand, you have a guy who put in 2 underwhelming seasons at the college level. Most people would take the proven commodity, hands down. It has nothing to do with "ripping" on someone, it's just straight facts, homie.

You have a chance to acquire proven talent and you'd turn it down? A possible acquistion of Rudy Gay would make him the best player on this team.
                  The only thing gay will make this team is mediocre. Do you really want that? do you really want to be stuck in the middle of the eastern conference for the next 5 years like the hawks?. There have been many players that haven't done that great in college(like Westbrook) but come into the league and play very well and become great players. You can never judge a guy based off just his college career, why don't you take a look at Adam Morrison, Marcus Fizer, and most recently Jimmer Fredette.

Comment

• I'm not as big a Gay fan as most on the board but if you think he wouldn't upgrade the team exponentially you're pretty delusional.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      The only thing gay will make this team is mediocre. Do you really want that? do you really want to be stuck in the middle of the eastern conference for the next 5 years like the hawks?. There have been many players that haven't done that great in college(like Westbrook) but come into the league and play very well and become great players. You can never judge a guy based off just his college career, why don't you take a look at Adam Morrison, Marcus Fizer, and most recently Jimmer Fredette.
                      First of all, Rudy Gay makes this team MUCH better than it was this year. Second, if it's a 1:1 choice of Gay:Jones III, no GM in his right mind would choose Jones, for all the reasons already mentioned. He hasn't proven himself capable of leading/starring for a college team, let alone an NBA team. He hasn't played a game against NBA-calibre competition. He has well-noted 'intensity/grit' issues, noted even by his own college coach. This *may* all change when he gets to the NBA, but it's a crap shoot.

Gay is a known commodity, a guy who has proven his ability to dominate NBA games, and has been to the playoffs. He's experienced, but still young. He can shoot from the perimeter or get his own shot.

It's really not even debatable. Gay is the safer bet, the better player right now, and 95% likely still the better player 3-4 years from now.
                      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                        First of all, Rudy Gay makes this team MUCH better than it was this year. Second, if it's a 1:1 choice of Gay:Jones III, no GM in his right mind would choose Jones, for all the reasons already mentioned. He hasn't proven himself capable of leading/starring for a college team, let alone an NBA team. He hasn't played a game against NBA-calibre competition. He has well-noted 'intensity/grit' issues, noted even by his own college coach. This *may* all change when he gets to the NBA, but it's a crap shoot.

Gay is a known commodity, a guy who has proven his ability to dominate NBA games, and has been to the playoffs. He's experienced, but still young. He can shoot from the perimeter or get his own shot.

It's really not even debatable. Gay is the safer bet, the better player right now, and 95% likely still the better player 3-4 years from now.
                        The thing that keeps drawing me back to Gay is the whole potential issue that we all go on about. Gay has not reached his potential in my opinion. Casey is a phenomenal teacher and motivator. If he can tap in to Gay's physical abilities on defense.... wow.... I can't even let myself imagine.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          The thing that keeps drawing me back to Gay is the whole potential issue that we all go on about. Gay has not reached his potential in my opinion. Casey is a phenomenal teacher and motivator. If he can tap in to Gay's physical abilities on defense.... wow.... I can't even let myself imagine.
                          Co-sign. He's already a great offensive player, and has the physique of a guy who could wreak havoc defensively. If Casey can pry solid D out of Bargnani, he can certainly do it with Gay.
                          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            I'm not as big a Gay fan as most on the board but if you think he wouldn't upgrade the team exponentially you're pretty delusional.
                            when did i say this? i said he'll make us mediocre which is true

Comment

• Glad to see you agree that Gay will make us exponentially better.

Comment

• How young is too young?

Privately, members of the Raptors management have said bringing another rookie into the fold might not be in the team’s best interests.

Already young and getting younger with the addition of last year’s fifth overall pick, Jonas Valanciunas, the thinking is the pick could be better spent packaging it with a player already on the roster and addressing one of the club’s needs with a veteran NBA player.

That might not be too popular with the segment of the Raptors fan base that wants to see the team add to it’s young talent base in what is quite obviously a deep draft.

Even selecting eighth, the Raptors would get a good young player, the operative word there being young. Look at DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis. DeRozan is just now, after three years in the league, coming into his own. He’s still learning what it takes to score on a consistent basis. Davis, drafted the year after, is that much more raw.

Now consider Valanciunas’ arrival. He’s going to need his own time to learn the league, learn the skillset necessary to compete with men who have already learned all the tricks of the trade and aren’t likely to act too charitable with the new guy on the block.

Now double that with whomever the Raptors might select with the pick they get and ask yourself how many years you are willing to wait for this team to become an NBA playoff team? Then consider how much longer it will take those young guys to grow into the kind of players that can run with those playoff-hardened vets in the latter rounds of the playoffs.

The core of the team barring trades will be 26-year-old Andrea Bargnani, 22-year-old DeRozan, 22-year-old Davis and a 20-year-old Valanciunas.

Jose Calderon brings a solid dose of veteran savvy to the floor but even Calderon has only been to the playoffs twice in his career and never past the first round.

As much as another young gun would be great to add, the Raptors need some veteran leadership that can lead in the dressing room as well as on the floor. Rasual Butler, Anthony Carter and Jamaal Magloire all served a purpose but undeniably little of it came on game day.

Now obviously if the Raptors get extremely lucky and find themselves with one of the top three picks, all bets are off.
                                http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/29...tery-questions

Holding onto the pick may not pay dividends immediately, but I prefer to assemble talent over experience. My thinking is that in due time, our talent will eventually earn the experience. We just need to be patient.

Comment

Working...
                                X