Is JV a potential franchise player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
    all the kids with unibrows would finally have a hero and somebody to make them realize people will hate on it but it doesn't even matter because it wont change them!
    hahaha its the easiest cheapest problem in the world to fix....wax...shave...electrolysis if you really want to spend some money
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I've had the chance to spend some time in Europe in the past few years and have gotten a chance to watch JV probably a lot more than people around here. I am convinced that this kid is the real deal. People sometimes forget the quality of players that are in Europe- Milos Teodosic, Andrei Kirilinko, Dimitris Diamanditis, Nikola Mirotic etc.. and for JV to put up the numbers he has been averaging and the accolades he has been winning among this competition (At the age of 19 is incredible!).

People are nervous with international big men I get it (Milicic, Aroujo) but neither have these guys numbers prior to the NBA come close to what JV is doing right now! With that said, YES Valenciunas is a real cornerstone for the Raptors moving forward. In 2-3 years, BC will look like a genious because JV will turn out to be the best player in last years draft. Valenciunas will hold the Interior, while Andrea will have more freedom to operate on the perimeter. This to me sounds like one of the best big man combinations in the NBA for the next decade or so.

As a side note, the Raptors front office should really keep an eye on Nikola Mirotic (only 21 years old) and what Chicago is doing with him. This guy is going to be the next big thing out of Europe (Nowtiski caliber). In a year or two this guy is going to be a stud at the 3 spot and I would urge BC to take a closer look and see if he could bring him over from Europe.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        JV is tossed under the bus by multiple posters in here by the end of December 2012. Book it.
        +1

No doubt.

The hype machine is churning and the expectations are growing. I feel sorry for the kid as the weight of the franchise is about to be heaped on him instead of excercisig some patience to see what they have first.

Comment

He will be an impact player ... A reason to stop whining about needing a starting C ... he'll rebound and play defence right out of the gate ... his offense will come along slower, over a few years.

If he stays healthy and hungry (which doesn't seem to be a problem), he will be in all-star discussions in 3-5 years ... and will be a valuable piece on a contender, if the lottery balls this year are lucky, and/or free agent/trade decisions over the coming 2-3 years are smart.
          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Offensively he already shoots 80 - 85% from the free throw line and has a solid 10ft jumper. He has quite a few post moves as well as just being relentless on the offensive glass.
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              the reason is he is too hard to market....his face on all the posters will frighten the children and attract hillbillies from the outskirts to come and see games. The last thing you want is people from Aylmer driving in for games
              hahaha Davis does look creepy.
              The unibrow seems like it will move if you stare at it long enough.

Comment

Are we actually drafting 2 players when we select Davis, one the 6'10" shot blocker and one the 6" lane intimidating unibrow.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I don't want to BROW beat this issue

Comment

ogitheserb wrote: View Post

People are nervous with international big men I get it (Milicic, Aroujo) but neither have these guys numbers prior to the NBA come close to what JV is doing right now! With that said, YES Valenciunas is a real cornerstone for the Raptors moving forward. In 2-3 years, BC will look like a genious because JV will turn out to be the best player in last years draft. Valenciunas will hold the Interior, while Andrea will have more freedom to operate on the perimeter. This to me sounds like one of the best big man combinations in the NBA for the next decade or so.

As a side note, the Raptors front office should really keep an eye on Nikola Mirotic (only 21 years old) and what Chicago is doing with him. This guy is going to be the next big thing out of Europe (Nowtiski caliber). In a year or two this guy is going to be a stud at the 3 spot and I would urge BC to take a closer look and see if he could bring him over from Europe.
                    I think most people are very excited about Valanciunas and I think he's done all he can to dispel any bias against Euro bigs. The question of whether he's a franchise centre is different cause there are so few of them (3 in the last 20 years) that it doesn't seem likely he's that good. As for JV and Bargs, Bargnani is 27. I don't see him playing 10 more years. Hopefully, we can find someone better to put next to JV.

Chicago won't move Mirotic. The sad thing for Raps fans is that the Bulls used that first rounder from the Johnson trade in a package to trade up and get Mirotic. Once again, Raptor management playing the short game: running as fast as they can to stay in the same place.

Comment

Well, after reading this, potentially, he can be a franchise player. I know, I know, europe bball is different from NBA bball, but still, this guy is only 20 and already been MVP 5 times!

LKL Champion (2010)
                      LKF Cup (2010)
                      3× LKL All-Star (2010, 2011, 2012)
                      2× LKL All-Star Game MVP (2011, 2012)
                      FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship MVP (2008)
                      European Under-18 All-Star Game MVP (2009)
                      FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship MVP (2010)
                      FIBA World Under-19 Championship MVP (2011)
                      Lithuania Basketball Player Of The Year (2011)
                      FIBA European Young Player of the Year (2011)
                      Eurocup Rising Star (2012)

Comment

I see Bargnani playing exactly ten more years. 8 of them at his highest level

Comment

a 15 year career is not out of the question for a non explosive - finesse player

Comment

Offensively he already shoots 80 - 85% from the free throw line and has a solid 10ft jumper. He has quite a few post moves as well as just being relentless on the offensive glass.
                            In a few years you can finish that sentence with ... "which he has now shown he can do consistently in the NBA"
                            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

the reason is he is too hard to market....his face on all the posters will frighten the children and attract hillbillies from the outskirts to come and see games. The last thing you want is people from Aylmer driving in for games
                              Ha. Aylmer. Never thought I'd see that town name dropped on this forum. Plus, the tractors would really slow the Gardiner worse then it already is for home games

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                They could give everyone fake unibrows before games
                                LOL I like it
                                (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

Working...
                                X