No announcement yet.

Is JV a potential franchise player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franchise Center I'd say. We basically have 2 spots on lock(PF and C), 1 spot that is still in question(DeRizen), and 2 spots that are in need of an upgrade(PG and SF)

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
      Well, after reading this, potentially, he can be a franchise player. I know, I know, europe bball is different from NBA bball, but still, this guy is only 20 and already been MVP 5 times!

LKL Champion (2010)
      LKF Cup (2010)
      3× LKL All-Star (2010, 2011, 2012)
      2× LKL All-Star Game MVP (2011, 2012)
      FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship MVP (2008)
      European Under-18 All-Star Game MVP (2009)
      FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship MVP (2010)
      FIBA World Under-19 Championship MVP (2011)
      Lithuania Basketball Player Of The Year (2011)
      FIBA European Young Player of the Year (2011)
      Eurocup Rising Star (2012)
      Wow.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
        Well, after reading this, potentially, he can be a franchise player. I know, I know, europe bball is different from NBA bball, but still, this guy is only 20 and already been MVP 5 times!

LKL Champion (2010)
        LKF Cup (2010)
        3× LKL All-Star (2010, 2011, 2012)
        2× LKL All-Star Game MVP (2011, 2012)
        FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship MVP (2008)
        European Under-18 All-Star Game MVP (2009)
        FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship MVP (2010)
        FIBA World Under-19 Championship MVP (2011)
        Lithuania Basketball Player Of The Year (2011)
        FIBA European Young Player of the Year (2011)
        Eurocup Rising Star (2012)
        Not to split hairs but he is not 20 until May 6th. Sort of makes his pursuits against grown men a little more impressive, in my opinion.

Comment

JV is going to be a beast, if all the hype is correct. Ive seen him play and he has such tenacity in his game, he is a great mix of skill, talent, height, length, motor, energy, aggressiveness, and smarts. Not to mention he is also still really really young. Ive heard hype about Hall-of-fame material. Id be really surprised and even disappointed if he is not at least a perennial all star
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
            JV is going to be a beast, if all the hype is correct. Ive seen him play and he has such tenacity in his game, he is a great mix of skill, talent, height, length, motor, energy, aggressiveness, and smarts. Not to mention he is also still really really young. Ive heard hype about Hall-of-fame material. Id be really surprised and even disappointed if he is not at least a perennial all star
            Ok, that doesn't mean it happens right out of the gate or in the first three seasons but there are a lot fans in here who have themselves convinced he's going to hit the ground running. If he doesn't, and I think he won't, then the backlash in here will be at ridiculously, humorous levels. When he gets here he will have to:

Build his body
            Learn a new style of play
            Learn a different culture
            Learn how to play for a whole new set of teammates.
            Learn how to communicate in a language he obviously is poor at.

There are many more challenges but people won't care about that. When he struggles the bust threads will run wild and the pressure will rise.

Comment

I agree, we do it with all our players, we hype hype hype, get into unrealistic expectations, then smear smear smear. (DD, Ed, Bargs, Turk, Bosh, J.O, Marion, etcetcetc) Im not worried about the smear campaign that will come, probably during a stretch of struggle for the rookie, because i am convinced his overall career will be above and beyond most (if not all) centers in the game right now (save Howard, obviously)
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Ok, that doesn't mean it happens right out of the gate or in the first three seasons but there are a lot fans in here who have themselves convinced he's going to hit the ground running. If he doesn't, and I think he won't, then the backlash in here will be at ridiculously, humorous levels. When he gets here he will have to:

Build his body
                Learn a new style of play
                Learn a different culture
                Learn how to play for a whole new set of teammates.
                Learn how to communicate in a language he obviously is poor at.

There are many more challenges but people won't care about that. When he struggles the bust threads will run wild and the pressure will rise.

i think it will be easy for him to start because he will walk into amirs almost no touches and garbage points. i expect him to be able to at the least duplicate amirs numbers right out of the gate.

i dont think that is a stretch of what he is capable of. i also expect him to be in the running for rookie of the year. finally i expect him to get colangelo an extension and by extension casey. i think both of their futures are locked together.

toronto sports is like ancient rome. as long as the people are screaming and cheering the higher ups will not make changes. similar to new york with a small man syndrome.

Comment

Valanciunas plays and produces against MEN. He accomplishes against men, some of these men far more developed than some NBA players. His potential is there, he has the ability to produce from the get-go. I don't see him having totally large impacts, but minor impacts.

An impact starting center for the years to come? Yes.

Franchise player like a Lebron, Kobe, Duncan? I don't know. Too big of an outlook in my opinion for a guy I haven't seen yet play in the league.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                    i think it will be easy for him to start because he will walk into amirs almost no touches and garbage points. i expect him to be able to at the least duplicate amirs numbers right out of the gate.
                    He's raw, but more athletic and more skilled than Amir and Ed. His body length, quickness, footwork, jumping ability can easily put up the garbage points of Amir. Has a better BASIC post game than Amir and Ed. Defensively is Jonas' strength though, and I believe down the road he will be better than both.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I think the most likely scenario is he's eased into the lineup and averages 25MPG by the end of the season. Casey and Colangelo have both already mentioned this tough veteran big man they're going to target in the off-season. My thinking is that they're looking for that because JV is going to be limited at times. They're not throwing this kid to the wolves like the Raptors did with Bosh at age 19.

If he hits Amir's 2011/2012 numbers what does that even mean? Some people are talking perrenial all-star and hall of fame. Some guys are talking #2 in the league in the paint. Is 7 and 7 going to be enough in season one with talk like that? It's a little out of control in here.

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                      Valanciunas plays and produces against MEN. He accomplishes against men, some of these men far more developed than some NBA players.
                      And so did Bargnani. What's the point here?

Comment

Cornerstone - Yes. He has talent (we have seen from how he plays in Europe) and work ethic.

Franchise Player - I do not see it. When you look at a franchise player, they carry the team. They are the type of player you say "Cant win without him". I think he will be far less of a franchise player then Bosh (not to say Bosh was a legit franchise player). I think he will be solid and he will be able to carry the team at some points, but not a franchise player.

Who knows though? But whether he is a franchise player or not, he will make an impact. He has tons of talent, athletic ability, tons of experience playing against strong competition.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          They could give everyone fake unibrows before games
                          Did you see some of the UK band at the game sport unibrows? Lol.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                            Cornerstone - Yes. He has talent (we have seen from how he plays in Europe) and work ethic.

Franchise Player - I do not see it. When you look at a franchise player, they carry the team. They are the type of player you say "Cant win without him". I think he will be far less of a franchise player then Bosh (not to say Bosh was a legit franchise player). I think he will be solid and he will be able to carry the team at some points, but not a franchise player.

Who knows though? But whether he is a franchise player or not, he will make an impact. He has tons of talent, athletic ability, tons of experience playing against strong competition.
                            do you think any of his lithuanian championship teams would have won without him? maybe his senior mens teams but none of the others. 5 time mvp is pretty "cant win without this guy" for a prospect

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              do you think any of his lithuanian championship teams would have won without him? maybe his senior mens teams but none of the others. 5 time mvp is pretty "cant win without this guy" for a prospect
                              The problem comes when you try to evaluate the quality of competition in Europe vs the NBA. Clearly he is talented. Harder to tell how talented. Only thing that is known for sure is that, at only 19, he has a pretty big upside.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post

Going to have to disagree re the Bosh comparison. If there was a KG playing in his 3rd year he would never back down from that dick the way Bosh kept turtling everytime the Raps played the Celtics. Franchise players dont and cannot do that.

And please, even Bosh does not really believe he is a franchise player. If he did he would have gone and got his own team. There were many willing to give him a max deal. But he did not and that really says it all. He can get his rings (if he can in Miami) and be no different than A Robert Horry or Rasheed Wallace who were part of a supporting cast on their champ. teams.

My crystal ball tells me that JV will be leading this team in 3 years. If you see his games on the diff teams and tournaments he has played one can see how his team defers and gravitates to him. Bosh did not command that respect from his team here.

Comment

Working...
                                X