Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Stern want to change the age rule

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...draft-age-rule

I personally think its fine the way it is.

It certainly benefits "projects" who look like they might grow into something, then never do. On the other hand, GM's can screw up draft picks under any scenario, so what's the diff?

Comment

Increasing the age reduces the element of risk in the draft a little. It certainly wouldn't hurt some of these guys to get a little more education before entering the league as well. I wouldn't be upset if it were eventually increased again.

Comment

+1

Comment

I honestly think the maturity instilled in these kids lasts a lifetime. IMO The minimum age should be increased to 22. Player's that have financial problems, can play professionally if they need the money that badly. I'm sick and tired of drafting rookies that don't have an impact in there first year...honestly I think a better product will be out on the floor for the nba.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
            I honestly think the maturity instilled in these kids lasts a lifetime. IMO The minimum age should be increased to 22. Player's that have financial problems, can play professionally if they need the money that badly. I'm sick and tired of drafting rookies that don't have an impact in there first year...honestly I think a better product will be out on the floor for the nba.
            Knuckleheads will always be knuckle heads. 4 years of college might straighten some out but for others it might be 4 extra years of entitlement and an inflated sense of self-worth. Lets look at Erving Walker:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ged-theft-taco

In terms of seniors making great draft picks due to developing their skills, that hasn't quite worked out too well for Reggie Jackson, Charles Jenkins, NOlan Smith, Jimmer Freddette, and JaJuan Johnson. For Marshon Brooks (to some extent) and Kenneth Faried 4 years of college was clearly a good thing.

So what does this tell us? Even after 4 years of a college, draft picks are not guaranteed to come out guns blazing (right Evan Turner?) or are they guaranteed not to be a bust (don't you agree Adam Morrison?).

Comment

take it easy matt. he stole a 3 dollar taco after a drunken night out. did you never do anything stupid in college?

Comment

skill wise you're absolutely right Matt, evan turner is an excellent example . But what about the emotional development? some of these player's are going to crumble as soon as the first challenge gets in their way. Maybe with more LIFE experience they can approach the challenge with the right attitude.

maybe if lebron went to college, he wouldn't have completely imploded in the finals last year. (speculation that no one can prove of course)

Comment

European pro clubs are drooling when they think about the NBA insituting an extra year in college. I'm sure more players would go to Europe a la Brandon Jennings than go to college for 2+ years.

A lot of these guys are one-and-done's because they need to support family or themselves. Thomas Robinson for example, if he were a freshman and had all of these tragadies happen to him, do you really think he would stay another year? He'd rather get some money to take care of his younger sister and improve his life.

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post
                    European pro clubs are drooling when they think about the NBA insituting an extra year in college. I'm sure more players would go to Europe a la Brandon Jennings than go to college for 2+ years.

A lot of these guys are one-and-done's because they need to support family or themselves. Thomas Robinson for example, if he were a freshman and had all of these tragadies happen to him, do you really think he would stay another year? He'd rather get some money to take care of his younger sister and improve his life.
                    Except in the case of Robinson he averaged 7 minutes in his freshman year and would struggle to get a game and the YMCA. Robinson is an example of a guy who developed in college and is a great example of why three years should be implemented.

Jennings stock took a hit in terms of draft position. His European play was not stellar by any stretch. He also had to deal with the differences in style of play, emphasis on team play, and seniority issue (i.e. European teams playing their veterans). How many teams are going to put resources in to developing a young American player who is bolting after 2 seasons?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Except in the case of Robinson he averaged 7 minutes in his freshman year and would struggle to get a game and the YMCA. Robinson is an example of a guy who developed in college and is a great example of why three years should be implemented.

Jennings stock took a hit in terms of draft position. His European play was not stellar by any stretch. He also had to deal with the differences in style of play, emphasis on team play, and seniority issue (i.e. European teams playing their veterans). How many teams are going to put resources in to developing a young American player who is bolting after 2 seasons?
                      Wayne Simien and Kwame Brown? Hell Kwmae Brown has had a longer career, yet Simien stayed all 4 years.

Adam Morrison and CJ Miles?

Josh Boone and Korleone Young?

I can go on and on. Doesn't matter whether you come out after 1,2,3,4 years of college, you should go when you feel good and ready.

Comment

I get your point with jennings but my point about that is that guys that realy need the money to take care of there familys will use this as a way to not go to school for two years get paid for one year and get drafted.

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post
                          Wayne Simien and Kwame Brown? Hell Kwmae Brown has had a longer career, yet Simien stayed all 4 years.

Adam Morrison and CJ Miles?

Josh Boone and Korleone Young?

I can go on and on. Doesn't matter whether you come out after 1,2,3,4 years of college, you should go when you feel good and ready.
                          Oh I am well aware. I made a similar point in post #6.

You specified T-Rob and I meant to show how 3 years of college was a good thing in his case. Looking back at your post I think I misinterpreted it. Did you mean if Robinson had the season he had this year (his third) in his freshman year? And in that case he should be permitted to come out given his circumstances?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Oh I am well aware. I made a similar point in post #6.

You specified T-Rob and I meant to show how 3 years of college was a good thing in his case. Looking back at your post I think I misinterpreted it. Did you mean if Robinson had the season he had this year (his third) in his freshman year? And in that case he should be permitted to come out given his circumstances?
                            Yes

Comment

Most stuff people are taught in college is forgotten by the next semester. The reason for that is there is so much stuff that most try to memorize as much as possible for the exam and then it's never used again. It's never applied to life. It's just a hoop you need to go through to get your foot in the door in the real world where you then learn what's really important to the career you're starting. However in college you do gain real hands on time building useful skills which can be with you for life if you take it seriously. I'm talking about analytical thinking, I'm talking about communication skills and I'm talking about study habits/appreciation of knowledge. All three of these are vital to being a professional in any field and they're also important to maintaining financial success.

A lot of the players who land of tough times after the pros typically mention bad business deals as at least part of their downfall. This can be avoided in most cases.

Comment

Working...
                              X