Mark Spears suggested that Steve Nash should consider TORONTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

c_bcm wrote: View Post
    Yeah..I'll pass on Nash. As good as he is, he never wanted to play here at his prime, kinda like magloire. Plus, need a young pg to take over once Jose is done. Nota guy who wants to have a token few years in his homeland as a nod of the head. I would rather not be an epilogue to his career.
    Good point if he didnt want to come in his prime then whats the point in having him now? What we need is a young pg moving forward with the youth that we allready have.

Comment

KaioKev wrote: View Post
      Nash can start thinking post-career after he wins a championship. I think Nash should go to a contender like Miami, win a championship with Joel "the greatest undersized centre of all-time" Anthony and then worry about post career. Coming to Toronto for next year is a waste of a healthy back.
      id rather see nash go to the lakers then miami... i hope bosh & company never win a title..

Comment

Nash is really an interesting option. Everyone just assumes because he's old that if he leaves PHX it'll be for MIA or another contender (Miami being the obvious choice since PG is a crapshoot for them). But Nash has proven time and time again that he stands out from other stars. He's a very grounded, intelligent person. I think whatever he decides to do, he'll know it's the best decision for him. I'm not sure he'll think being on Miami for a year or two is the best way to finish his career, especially if they win it this year. What would they need him for? I think Nash is a sports junkie, and won't go somewhere just to win. He will want to play minutes and have a large role. Yeah he's old, but the way he looks and the way he plays, he could easily last another 2 years without a major injury (knock on wood). We always talk about how much upside our team has, well I think a player like Nash will look at that. I don't know if he'll come here, but I'm sure he'd love playing with Jonas, Bargs, Demar, whoever else we draft this year, and possibly decent role players (Ed/Amir, JJ, Kleiza, Gray). Really we always talk about what we're missing. Well Nash for 2-3 years gives us a stopgap and an upgrade over Jose. It gives him the chance to play a large role and mentor a young team that would need his presence. I think this will be a huge factor for Nash if he still wants a role similar to what he's got, and not a lot of teams really offer it. Off the top of my head, the best fit I could think of is Indiana...
        I think that Nash will be less predictable than people think, and he always has been. He was on a good Dallas team when Phoenix offered him a huge contract that Cuban laughed at, so he walked. People have expected him to ask for a trade for what...2?3 years now? And he just keeps playing well in PHX, and mentors their team, which frankly sucks balls in terms of talent/upside. They have a bunch of role players that he keeps leading to an at least respectable level. Again, I think he might look at a young but growing roster like ours, or Indiana's, or a roster that needs his leadership, like in NY, or a team like Portland (not too far from his hometown, too).
        All this just to say given Nash's character, it won't just be about 'winning'. When you're this good at his age, you assume you will help any team get better and so while the roster is important, I don't think the options will only be the top 2-3 teams in each conference (which is problematic in the West, especially). And while he wants to win a title, he won't let it decide where he goes. I mean, think of a team like Indy with West, Hibbert, Granger and George lined up next to Nash, and I think they could beat anybody in a series, even maybe for a championship(especially with decent pieces like Hill and Hansbrough off the bench).
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Apr 8, 2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post
          Whats wrong with Jose?
          Nothing is wrong with Jose; but Nash scores better, shoots at a better FG, FT and 3Pt % and drops more dimes. And while Jose is good at pick and rolls, Nash is fantastic.
          Deadallus

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            I don't think it's a good fit at all. Both Nash and Lebron need to dominate the ball to be effective, especially Nash. Lebron and co. could say "we'll let you do your thing!" all they want but I don't see it.
            Lets not forget this team has a strong defensive identity which is not Nash's strong point. I think a team he'd fit in well with the Nuggets.
            Deadallus

Comment

Deadallus wrote: View Post
              Lets not forget this team has a strong defensive identity which is not Nash's strong point. I think a team he'd fit in well with the Nuggets.
              Nash has a solid oppPER of 14.3 (82games.com) this season and the same 14.3 oppPER last season. That is much better than Bayless (16.8 this year and 19 last) and Calderon (18 this year and 18.2 last year).

Stats are hardly the be all and end all but given the style of play PHX has employed the majority of the last 10 years, I'm not sure he has been given a fair shake.
              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Apr 8, 2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Marc J. Spears has identified the big advantage the Raps have over other suitors -- an ability and willingness to set him up for his post-playing years.

I think if the Raps offered him somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 years/$30M, with a handshake deal that they'd give him a small ownership stake (like 0.5%) after retirement and a position in the head office, he would seriously consider it. They could even offer to expand the Steve Nash Fitness World and Sports Club chain into the condo complex at Maple Leaf Square. No idea how this would mess up his ownership stake in the Vancouver MLS franchise, but clearly he has an eye on interests outside of the NBA.

Nash has shown that his interests stretch far beyond the playing floor, and a deal that sets him up for a post-retirement life of being Mr. Basketball in Canada would be enticing.

Comment

The way MDA was treated in NYC should have some sort of impact on his decision there. I mean Melo isn't a team player and he can't hope to jive with a true PG out to involve the whole team. NYC would be a mistake. Not to mention they don't have the means to land Nash and keep Lin. Lin is their best bet thinking from the perspective of a guy like Dolan, who isn't all there when it comes to making a winning on court product.

As for Toronto. I'll believe it when I see him here at the ACC talking with Colangelo about the idea of playing in Toronto. Whether he picks the Raptors or not shouldn't have any real impact on his post-career opportunities in corporate Canada. I get what Spears is saying but what he's missing is that Nash is a basketball icon in Canada regardless. He's the first Canadian NBA MVP. His place at any table in Canada is set. Heck, I made lots of Turkey I should call him up right now!

In terms of the basketball hierachy in Canada it goes: Wayne Gretzky, Steve Nash and then Dr. James Naismith. Yeah, I said Gretzky. Gretzky is default #1 for everything in Canada. We're saps for him like that.

Comment

Deadallus wrote: View Post

The Miami Heat have terrific team defense and they make-up for any poor defense that is made by one player. Sure Nash won't be able to guard Rose, but Wade and LeBron can. Nash can't guard Westbrook or Rondo but Wade and LeBron can. If someone drives the lane and gets passed Nash, they still have to get passed a combination of James-Wade-Bosh-Haslem-Turiaf-Anthony-Battier.

Also, Nash doesn't play much defense because he's never been on a team that plays defense. If he were to join the Miami Heat, I could see his defense improving a bit a la Ray Allen when he joined the Celtics. Ray Allen was a terrible defender in Seattle but since he's joined the Boston Celtics, he's been one of their best perimeter defenders, probably the best perimeter defender on that team after Rondo.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Gretzky is default #1 for everything in Canada. We're saps for him like that.
                      best prime minister ever.

completely off topic and i apologize but first time gretzky came up. does anyone not get blurry and teared up watching and listening to gretzky to lemieux to gretzky to lemieux to gretzky to lemieux and he scores.

nash in toronto would be huge though. tsn is probably mentally masturbating and getting ready to use the fist just thinking about it. 3 more months and we will know.

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post
                        The Miami Heat have terrific team defense and they make-up for any poor defense that is made by one player. Sure Nash won't be able to guard Rose, but Wade and LeBron can. Nash can't guard Westbrook or Rondo but Wade and LeBron can. If someone drives the lane and gets passed Nash, they still have to get passed a combination of James-Wade-Bosh-Haslem-Turiaf-Anthony-Battier.

Also, Nash doesn't play much defense because he's never been on a team that plays defense. If he were to join the Miami Heat, I could see his defense improving a bit a la Ray Allen when he joined the Celtics. Ray Allen was a terrible defender in Seattle but since he's joined the Boston Celtics, he's been one of their best perimeter defenders, probably the best perimeter defender on that team after Rondo.
                        i think nash to miami is silly. not picking on you but yours was the last post advocating it. lebron averages almost 8 assists a game. why would you ever not want the ball in his hands. miami needs a point guard like bayless. someone who is looking for their shot and can get to the rim and hit the 3 who also plays on ball defense. i think chalmers, with his improved 3 ball, is doing well there.

taking the ball away from lebron is stupid. lebron is so good at this game you cant measure it or even realize it. look at any of the best players for their position and what kind of stats they put up and you can slot lebron into the top 5, if not top 1 or 2. if he played point only he would be the best point guard. if he played the two he would be the best 2 guard, playing the 3 he is the best, if he played the 4 he would be one of the best, might be a couple who could over power him and if he played center he could probably do better than ben wallace did. that guy is so good at this game its ridiculous.

put it another way. would you pair magic johnson and steve nash. i really dont like arguing for the heat but their money is best spent on someone else.

Comment

Exactly

IROR wrote: View Post
                          If he wants to, why not? not like he'll be signing a long term, risky contract...even at 10 mill for the next 2 years would be fine the raps can preserve space for that long
                          A cap space of that amount would be an asset down the road.

Comment

KaioKev wrote: View Post
                            Nash can start thinking post-career after he wins a championship. I think Nash should go to a contender like Miami, win a championship with Joel "the greatest undersized centre of all-time" Anthony and then worry about post career. Coming to Toronto for next year is a waste of a healthy back.

I think Ronny Turiaf would be the starter by then. He's a legit 6'10 and is wider/stronger than Anthony. I think it's only a matter of Turiaf getting in shape before he becomes the starter on this team. Regardless, that would be huge for the Heat and as a Nash supporter and fan of his game, I would love for him to win a ring by the end of his career. Although he's 38, he still has the legs for atleast two good season, if he joins the Heat, he would have the biggest chance to win a championship in those two years.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              i think nash to miami is silly. not picking on you but yours was the last post advocating it. lebron averages almost 8 assists a game. why would you ever not want the ball in his hands. miami needs a point guard like bayless. someone who is looking for their shot and can get to the rim and hit the 3 who also plays on ball defense. i think chalmers, with his improved 3 ball, is doing well there.

taking the ball away from lebron is stupid. lebron is so good at this game you cant measure it or even realize it. look at any of the best players for their position and what kind of stats they put up and you can slot lebron into the top 5, if not top 1 or 2. if he played point only he would be the best point guard. if he played the two he would be the best 2 guard, playing the 3 he is the best, if he played the 4 he would be one of the best, might be a couple who could over power him and if he played center he could probably do better than ben wallace did. that guy is so good at this game its ridiculous.

put it another way. would you pair magic johnson and steve nash. i really dont like arguing for the heat but their money is best spent on someone else.
                              LeBron and Wade have vastly improved their off-ball skills compared to last season. Not only that but Nash will make LeBron and Wade improve even more when it comes to off-ball situations. I think you're forgetting exactly how good Nash can make other players and how much he improves them and not to be rude but i dont get your point about magic you do know that both him and Nash are pg?.

Comment

This is an either / or for me. Great if he chases a ring, awesome if he plays here too. Either way.
                                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X