No announcement yet.

Are we really Rebuilding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'll tell you one thing. He's got the sweetest watch out of all the coaches we've had

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
      A little early to be asking this maybe? Butch Carter, Sam Mitchell and Lenny Wilkens may be reading. Let's not go there yet.
      But i dont think any of them made such a big impact in one season. On top of that this was a lockout shortened season with almost no training camp. IMO if you gave Dwane casey the team we had in 2009 - 2010 we would have had 50 wins

Comment

Butch Carter went from 16-66 in 97-98 to 23-27 in the next season(Lockout shortened). Not too shabby? Also, the following season he went 45-37 and put us in the playoffs for the first time.

20-38 is hardly such an impact. He's made our defense better sure, but so did Kevin O'Neill. All I'm saying it's way to premature to even talk about.

Comment

Butch is one of my favorites but Sam Mitchell gets my vote because of Butch didn't really last long and how he went out was baaaad.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            Huh? How many of the 16 teams making the playoffs have a new coach (incl some assts.), are in a stated rebuild mode and had their first round draft choice not available for the year?
            meant to quote the other guy. but, w/e.

no if ands, or buts.

i'd continue to argue. but, i'll just focus on the raps.

you guys honestly think we'd be any better off if we had camp and all that?

How many practices, lectures, and games have happened now?

we're still losing more games than winning, we still suck, guys still make bonehead moves. If guys don't get the system by now, something's wrong.

we did have a brief camp and pre-season, and you learn on the job, you have practices...

I'd understand if you were using this excuse 10 games in, mid-december.

but, there are 8 games left, it's mid-april. that excuse is pure bullshit.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

They played near .500 ball through March and they are .500 in April. They have been improving.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                one thing cut it out with this fuckin bullshit excuse about no camp.

i'll tell you why because the 16 god damn teams making the playoffs, their coaches had no camp either. so, don't feed me this bullshit like it's some disadvantage they have over the other 29 teams and that's why they're shit.

please, just stop... JUST FUCKING STOP!!!
                This post is beyond retarded.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  They played near .500 ball through March and they are .500 in April. They have been improving.
                  so, then that pretty much removes the no training camp excuse. it is quite pathetic to be talking about training camp when we're a week away from playoffs.

i wish the nba did the draft lottery like the nhl. straight after the reg season. just way easier to get it out of the way. plus, it would give some optimism for clubs like the raps. i hope it's brung up in the next gm meeting.

then we wouldn't be talking about silly tgings like training camp in mid freakin april.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

No it doesn't remove the fact that Casey had hardly no time in implement a system and philosophy far different than the Players saw the year before. He's only been with the team for less than three month. He was hired in June. He missed out on five months of time he could have been using to get the team ready to play.

All you have to bring to the table in this discussion is profanities and statements which attempt to put down the opposing side. Why don't you argue the topic? No need to troll. There's no need to curse and put people down, calling them pathetic. Have some respect.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Colangelo drafts the best player available and as stated many times by he himself, Bargnani was the best player available in his opinion.

Lack of results doesn't equate to lack of effort or good intentions. Colangelo himself said many times that he was building around Bosh. He's not saying that about Bargnani.

Prove it.

Because he's the most talented player on the team and it's blatantly obvious his talents are better suited to the 4.

I agree but that's not how life works. Colangelo is a guy trying to secure his job long term. He has to deal with politics and perceptions for example.
                      Good points definitely.

1) If BC drafts the bpa and he thought Andrea was a better PF prospect than Aldridge, he needs to fire his scouting staff and mybe he should also take step back from talent evaluation. I am beginning to think the same about his selection of Demar

2) I agree that lack of results doesn't signify lack of intentions but I have also listened to Colangelo long enough to know what he says should be taken with a grain of salt at times as he is a salesman. Just because he has said something or hasn't said something, doesn't make it so.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                        1) If BC drafts the bpa and he thought Andrea was a better PF prospect than Aldridge, he needs to fire his scouting staff and mybe he should also take step back from talent evaluation. I am beginning to think the same about his selection of Demar
                        Yeah, easy to say in hindsight but the time people were split on the top pick. There was no consensus number one draft choice.

2) I agree that lack of results doesn't signify lack of intentions but I have also listened to Colangelo long enough to know what he says should be taken with a grain of salt at times as he is a salesman. Just because he has said something or hasn't said something, doesn't make it so.
                        No, you shouldn't take him at face value. You should review it for yourself. I've done that and I think he's telling the truth.

Comment

Good points definitely.

i remember that being a very weak draft class when we got the number 1. i also remember the very first day after winning colangelo was spouting about bargs. i felt at the time it was because he was a european and not well known. lots of people were telling him to trade down for the 3 to 5 range and he was adamant that bargs wouldn't be available at those numbers. that was his guy for a long time. i think if we hadn't of won the lottery he wouldn't have played up bargs so much to gain interest and exposure for a player he knew he wanted.

much like last year with jv when, not sure about you but i shit myself when knight was on the board. right when they said toronto on the clock i knew it was knight the whole way. i was reading up more on him and was preparing to welcome him to t.o. then i heard jvs name called and a wtf jumped out. got depressed. did some research and started to like the pick. now almost a year later i love the pick.

now we know the best player of that class went number 21. aldridge was a bosh clone and only two players have made an all star game to date and this was aldridges first time.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NBA_Draft

for your second point i mostly agree but i admire colangelos attitude and willingness to jump in front of the bullet. whenever something goes wrong he is the man at the podium telling every reporter to blame him and the mistake is on his shoulders. but it is part of his job to get people in seats and sometimes exaggerating works well for that.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                            This post is beyond retarded.
                            interesting...

care to elaborate?

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                              one thing cut it out with this fuckin bullshit excuse about no camp.

i'll tell you why because the 16 god damn teams making the playoffs, their coaches had no camp either. so, don't feed me this bullshit like it's some disadvantage they have over the other 29 teams and that's why they're shit.

please, just stop... JUST FUCKING STOP!!!
                              NO!

They had no camp...the reason this bring about a unique problem for them is....

1.) Of the 16 teams making the playoffs only 2 have a new coach and they are the Lakers
                              who have been playing much worse this year and are only in playoffs because they have two HOF players
                              two gritty defenders and Bynum clogging up the middle. NYK has a lot of great pieces as well...but even them
                              with a mid season switch are struggling to be even a 500 team with THREE ALL STARS and some excellent role players

2.) Toronto had a dramatic shift from what they were doing the previous year. A lot of other teams had the benefit of consistency and even THEY struggled and generally made the first 20 games of the season pretty unwatchable.

3.) They are one of the youngest teams in the league. A summer league, development time with coaches and a FULL training camp are crucial to their development. Poor Ed Davis has yet to work with coaches in the off season or have a training camp along with two completely different coaches in two years.

So when we say we didn't have a training camp and use that as some kind of an excuse for this year...that's because it IS an excuse, and we NEEDED it a lot more than at least 26 of the other 29 teams.
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Colangelo 'inherited' Bosh as a franchise cornerstone ... just like he inherited Sam Mitchell as the coach.

That doesn't mean either of them fit his style or vision.

As for rebuilding, I think it's safe to say you can be doing this while also looking to build around Bargs ... don't need to throw out everything, like he and Jose just because they want to change the team ... The team could be drastically different next season, while still featuring Bargnani, AND Jose, for that matter.

Going into next season, there's no doubt we'll be flush with lottery talent - then it will just be a matter of putting the right pieces together. Upgrading at SG and SF ... along with the guaranteed solid prospect at C ... we'll be money.
                                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Working...
                                X