Who should the Raptors not Draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we got our bigs set Bargs/Val/Davis or Amir/Gray Alabi or Magloire

We need to do something at the wing and backup PG.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      we got our bigs set Bargs/Val/Davis or Amir/Gray Alabi or Magloire

We need to do something at the wing and backup PG.
      Agreed. Unless that big man is Anthony Davis, the wing in particular in my opinion is the biggest need to address this off-season. It's been far to inconsistent from Demar, Barbosa, Forbes, Johnson, Kleiza. They've all had good stretches, but for the majority they've had something to really just hit them out and right back in. Most especially for Kleiza. Demar is finishing the season strong like I predicted. And James Johnson is coming back in form. BUT, from the wing, inconsistency is a must-not.

No PJ3 for me unless it's the bright choice.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
        I'll 2nd that motion.

3rd it.

Actually, we should be looking at this the other way around. If we can't draft MKG, Beal or Davis, we should be looking maybe to move the pick. thoughts?

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
          3rd it.

Actually, we should be looking at this the other way around. If we can't draft MKG, Beal or Davis, we should be looking maybe to move the pick. thoughts?
          I wouldn't be opposed. I'd be looking for an established player still with considerable upside (*cough* Jrue Holiday *cough*) and a lower pick in return. That may or may not be realistic as I am not a GM.

Comment

3rd it.

Pure speculation, but I expect BC would be happy with Barnes as well. He's a good shooter, fairly athletic, decent defender and seems to have a decent basketball IQ, which gives a coach like Casey quite a bit to work with. If BC can't get Davis, MKG, Beal or Barnes, then I expect he will be exploring trade options, be it up, down or out of the draft. To me, those are the only 4 players that seem to address a need (not so much Davis, but you obviously can't pass him up), fit type of player that BC/DC have talked about adding and would fit BC's "hit the ground running" mentality. The other bigs in the draft don't address a team need and the other wings in the draft all seem to be high risk/reward type gambles or projects, so I just can't fathom BC drafting them.

If the Raptors finish 5th from the bottom, they are guaranteed a top-8 draft pick. In addition to the 4 players I think BC is likely targeting, Robinson and Drummond should also be top-8 for sure. Statistically speaking, that gives BC pretty good odds for being able to get one of those 4 players (Davis, MKG, Beal, Barnes), meaning there's a strong liklihood of the Raptors just keeping their pick.

Comment

I have this feeling that we might get lucky this year and bump up a couple of spots in the lottery. in the top 4 and hopefully be able to take MKG or Barnes

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                I have this feeling that we might get lucky this year and bump up a couple of spots in the lottery. in the top 4 and hopefully be able to take MKG or Barnes
                The Raps can only get the 4th spot if they finish in 4th and no other team outside of the top 3 make into to the top 3.

If the Raps finish 6th for example, they can either get the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th pick (and cannot get the 4th or 5th pick unless they trade for it)

Any team in the lottery can get a 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick. If a team outside of the top3 does, it bumps everyone down one spot.

Hopefully lottery luck nets us a top 3 pick. Otherwise we'd be looking at a 5-9 pick (depending on where we finish of course).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Pure speculation, but I expect BC would be happy with Barnes as well. He's a good shooter, fairly athletic, decent defender and seems to have a decent basketball IQ, which gives a coach like Casey quite a bit to work with. If BC can't get Davis, MKG, Beal or Barnes, then I expect he will be exploring trade options, be it up, down or out of the draft. To me, those are the only 4 players that seem to address a need (not so much Davis, but you obviously can't pass him up), fit type of player that BC/DC have talked about adding and would fit BC's "hit the ground running" mentality. The other bigs in the draft don't address a team need and the other wings in the draft all seem to be high risk/reward type gambles or projects, so I just can't fathom BC drafting them.

If the Raptors finish 5th from the bottom, they are guaranteed a top-8 draft pick. In addition to the 4 players I think BC is likely targeting, Robinson and Drummond should also be top-8 for sure. Statistically speaking, that gives BC pretty good odds for being able to get one of those 4 players (Davis, MKG, Beal, Barnes), meaning there's a strong liklihood of the Raptors just keeping their pick
                  You are right, but I think that decision on whether or not we should take the chance on Barnes is the key to this draft. Unless he works out really well for some teams, it is likely that we will get a chance to pick him, and I am just not crazy about the idea. It has to do with the current makeup of our team. We don't have successful veterans on our team who can teach him about what it takes to be a winner in the league. He has a motivational and work ethic problem, and there are so many talented kids just like him who come in to the league every year just like him that don't amount to anything. I give Casey a lot of credit, but at the same time, my gut tells me that if he is not playing on a winning team with a bunch of vets, he won't be useful on our team.

We could, on the other hand, trade him to a bunch of teams who would take the chance and get some decent talent back (i.e. Matt's Jrue Holiday idea, maybe Kyle Lowry, Nic Batum, etc.)

Comment

You are right, but I think that decision on whether or not we should take the chance on Barnes is the key to this draft. Unless he works out really well for some teams, it is likely that we will get a chance to pick him, and I am just not crazy about the idea. It has to do with the current makeup of our team. We don't have successful veterans on our team who can teach him about what it takes to be a winner in the league. He has a motivational and work ethic problem, and there are so many talented kids just like him who come in to the league every year just like him that don't amount to anything. I give Casey a lot of credit, but at the same time, my gut tells me that if he is not playing on a winning team with a bunch of vets, he won't be useful on our team.

We could, on the other hand, trade him to a bunch of teams who would take the chance and get some decent talent back (i.e. Matt's Jrue Holiday idea, maybe Kyle Lowry, Nic Batum, etc.)
                    I don't think that is true on Barnes. Last summer he attended the Chris Paul PG camp to work on his ball handling. It is my understanding he works hard and trains hard. My issue, and it ties in to the in game performance you speak of, is he does not seem to be naturally aggressive and he can't create for himself.

Overall, though, I agree I would be very hesitant to draft him higher than 6 right now. Of course, a lot can change over the next 2 months as we all know.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I don't think that is true on Barnes. Last summer he attended the Chris Paul PG camp to work on his ball handling. It is my understanding he works hard and trains hard. My issue, and it ties in to the in game performance you speak of, is he does not seem to be naturally aggressive and he can't create for himself.

Overall, though, I agree I would be very hesitant to draft him higher than 6 right now. Of course, a lot can change over the next 2 months as we all know.
                      The only thing that changes is really the perception of what a team thinks of a player, and not necessarily what a player really is at his core. The thing that could really change my mind about Barnes is if someone could explain how the college game hindered him and how his game is really more applicable to the NBA. But based on what he showed us all year and especially in the tournament, he will basically be a decent wing player who can maybe start on a winning team if he learns how to defend.

Comment

The only thing that changes is really the perception of what a team thinks of a player, and not necessarily what a player really is at his core. The thing that could really change my mind about Barnes is if someone could explain how the college game hindered him and how his game is really more applicable to the NBA. But based on what he showed us all year and especially in the tournament, he will basically be a decent wing player who can maybe start on a winning team if he learns how to defend.
                        The original statement was he has a motivational and work ethic problem. Based on what I've seen of him play and what I have read I 100% disagree.

His issue, in my opinion, stems from his lack of aggression and inability to create for himself. That doesn't make him unmotivated or lacking work ethic. It means he might have a laid back demeanour/personality and lacks ball handling skills.

Comment

According to David Thorpe ESPN Insider
                          Needs: Athleticism on the front line, perimeter shooters on the wings, guard depth

The obvious pick: Anthony Davis
                          Certainly this will happen if the Raptors somehow get the No. 1 pick. And yes, even though Davis would battle both Andrea Bargnani and Valanciunas for playing time, he would make a huge impact in Toronto, which fields a number of below-the-rim players inside. Coming off the bench, Davis would still get as much playing time as he'd need, and he fits well next to either of those two guys.

Kind of fits: Andre Drummond
                          The Raptors wisely chose Valanciunas last year knowing they would let him develop for a season overseas first. They could do the same thing with Drummond, perhaps using the D-League properly and letting Drummond build his skill set, confidence and overall basketball IQ there. It's possible he could develop into a good partner with Valanciunas, perhaps letting the Raps move off Bargnani. But developing two bigs at the same time is challenging. If not Drummond, Kansas' Thomas Robinson would add immediate help to their biggest need, with his great quickness for a guy that strong.

Bad fit: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
                          Kidd-Gilchrist would give them much-needed athleticism and energy, but his poor perimeter shooting will not likely allow him to stretch defenses for some time, if ever. However, let's be clear: Kidd-Gilchrist would not be a disastrous pick. It's just that picking so high, the Raptors will have better choices available.

Perfect fit: Bradley Beal, Thomas Robinson
                          DeMar DeRozan is a good NBA scorer, but his lack of perimeter shooting and suspect defense warrants looking into a replacement, if it makes sense. It makes sense with Beal, who projects as an outstanding shooter and a very good scorer. He should become a better player than DeRozan in almost every other facet of the game. In fact, adding Beal would allow the Raptors to bring DeRozan off the bench, where he could end up being an excellent sixth man while still being a primary scorer. Both guys could even finish games together since Beal will be able to defend many small forwards thanks to his length and strength. Toronto can't go wrong with Robinson, either, as he would fill a huge need for athleticism on the front line with the perfect game for Casey -- tough and energetic and willing to fight and defend. Robinson would play major minutes as a rookie and improve the Raptors in his first season.
                          I don't agree that athleticism on the front line is the priority need.

Comment

Thorpe is an idiot
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              Thorpe is an idiot
                              +1

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                Thorpe is an idiot
                                Though he did suggest that Beal would be the perfect pick for the Raptors, who I have in my top-3 for Toronto, so he's not a toooootal idiot... lol

Comment

Working...
                                X