Ric Bucher, ESPN: Vancouver could be favourite for NBA relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    I live here in TO, and I am not sure how many of you actually live out West, but I lived in Vancouver for a while and nobody gave a flying #$&! over there about ball when they had a team, and no one cared when they left. Did the NBA mess up? Probably. But it'll be a tough climb as long as the Canucks are good. Overall, the more NBA in Canada the better
    Keep in mind that in Vancouver, the Grizz were never even close to sniffing the playoffs. If the product had been respectable, the team would still be there today.

Comment

I live in Vancouver, and actually worked for the Grizzlies for three years. The reason for the team "failing" in Vancouver has less to do with support from the community that with other issues. First the Canadian dollar was extremely week during the six years the Grizz were in town – in fact almost at 25 year lows during that stretch. From a business standpoint this made it very difficult to compete - revenue was in Canadian dollars, while most expenses were in US dollars. It is very difficult to attract new fans when ticket prices are high (to cover business operation expenses), and also difficult to attract and pay free agents.

Second, the lockout in 1998 basically destroyed any of the fan base that were on-the-fence fans. Attendance was 17,000 in the first year and dropped into the 13,000s after the lockout.

Third, Stu Jackson did an absolutely brutal job in running the team... the biggest mistake being the drafting of Steve Francis who had publicly stated (before the draft) that he did not want to play in Vancouver. I won't mention the $64 million dollars he gave to Big Country. During their six years in Vancouver the Grizzlies had the worst record in the NBA going 101 and 359.

Since the Grizzlies left the city things have changed - a much larger population in the City and within an easy commute of the arena; the Canadian dollar is more or less at par with the US dollar, Vancouver has gained some notoriety having hosting the Olympics (hopefully opening the eyes of Steve Francis and other US born players that the city is not that bad... maybe even a better place to live than Detroit or Milwaukee?), and I am pretty sure if Vancouver were to get a team, Stu Jackson would not be the GM.
      Last edited by black angus; Tue Apr 17, 2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Hell no. It was more tongue in cheek. I don't think there is a strong basketball culture there but I could be wrong.
        You ain't wrong.... lol

Comment

Just had to comment on Apollo's move to Calgary! Yeah boi! LOL.

But onto the topic at hand, I do agree that Calgary 'could' support an NBA franchise financially speaking, but I also agree that the fanbase isn't as high as Vancouver or Toronto... But that's something the city's got to look into.

Hmm... bring in the Vancouver Mounties!
          #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

RPT23 wrote: View Post
            bring in the Vancouver Mounties!
            If a team came to Vancouver, I really hope they wouldn't choose that name... I mean, they already have the Canucks for crying out loud lol

Comment

If Kings moves from Sacramento, i think their destination will be Anaheim...
              (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

Calgary needs a team and the fact that I'm moving there has nothing to do with it.
                Why are you moving to Calgary?

I ask because all my family live out there and its awful.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Vancouver Canucks owner not very interested in bringing an NBA team back to the city:
                  http://www.iamagm.com/news/2012/04/1...medium=twitter
                  (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    Why are you moving to Calgary?

I ask because all my family live out there and its awful.
                    Career. I've been to Calgary many, many times and I really like it. Did your family say why they don't like it there?

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
                      Vancouver Canucks owner not very interested in bringing an NBA team back to the city:
                      http://www.iamagm.com/news/2012/04/1...medium=twitter
                      “I think if there was enough support, enough of a fan base, definitely the arena is ready to go,” Aquilini said. “There was a basketball team here before, the building is really plug-and-play. We could start tomorrow if we wanted to. But the question is always about market size. That really is the issue. The (Grizzlies) did leave Vancouver for a reason, because there just wasn’t enough market support. If there was, they wouldn’t have left in the first place. We’re continually doing work on that, to assess whether there is enough of a market for an NBA team in Vancouver.”
                      the reason why charlotte has a team and Vancouver doesnt - TV money

Comment

I want to see another team in Vancouver it would be awesome to have 2 teams. If the Raps ain't playin i watch Vancouver and vice versa

Comment

Career. I've been to Calgary many, many times and I really like it. Did your family say why they don't like it there?
                          Welcome. I moved here years ago and, crappy weather aside, the city is a good place to live. I've lived in quite a few big centres and really quite like Calgary. Lots of great neighbourhoods, easy to get around, mostly affordable, tonnes to do, terrific restaurants. No NBA/MLB, which sucks, but that's why you have a TV room...

Comment

Thanks! I think I'll be a Flames fan in no time. I'm looking to buy something in the west. Lots and lots of nice looking communities.

Comment

I would love a team back in Vancity, I am sick of no one talking about basketball here! It would be so time consuming and fun to be a huge fan of the raps and be living in vancouver to cheer on whatever team here.
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                                I live here in TO, and I am not sure how many of you actually live out West, but I lived in Vancouver for a while and nobody gave a flying #$&! over there about ball when they had a team, and no one cared when they left. Did the NBA mess up? Probably. But it'll be a tough climb as long as the Canucks are good. Overall, the more NBA in Canada the better
                                Well how long has it been since you've lived here in Vancouver, because the fan-base/participation for basketball is HUGE. Basketball is growing all-around every year here in B.C. More so Vancouver, and other cities like Burnaby or Coquitlam if any B.C natives know of.

There's no doubt the Canucks will be at the top of the mountain right now. Heck, so will the White Caps... But if there was a return of a team, and success right out of the gate, I could see it climbing the ranks in obtaining a very good fan-base.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X