Clear All

• Toronto/Portland

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=83hhxhs

To Portland:

Bargnani

To Toronto:

Matthews, and Portlands own pick in the draft

Totally hypothetical:

Say Thomas Robison or Drummond fall to us and they are the BPA. It would make sense to maybe solve the glut at PF. I would be open to moving Bargnani, and have a traditional PF manning the spot beside JV. Portland will be drafting anywhere from 11 to 12th. Players like Terrence Jones (SF/PF), Jermemy Lamb (SG), Lillard(PG), Marshall (PG), Rivers (SG) will still be available. Plus we would get a SG that shoots a career .448 FG%, a .395
    3P% and just under 3.5 million in cap relief (some of that would go to the draft pick). After signing draft picks we will have roughly 11 million in cap left and a midlevel exception for 2 spots. Also we could use Amnesty clause to make a big splash in Free Agency.

From Portland's side they may not want Bargnani because Aldridge already plays the 4 but they might be interested in Bargs as a Centre. It would be an interesting front court with Bargs, Aldridge and Batum. With so many players expiring they will have roughly $42,000,000 in cap including resigning Batum to around 10 mil and signing a 6-10 pick in the this years draft. They would have roughly $16,000,000 to fill out their roster, and mid level exceptions. Bargs wouldn't be a bad move at C due to the lack of quality FA Centres and the money they command.

Portland's Hypothetical roster

Bargnani Bargs
    Aldridge Aldridge
    Batum Barnes/PJ3
    OJ Mayo, or Courtney Lee Batum
    Nash, Augustin, or Dragic Nash, Augustin, or Dragic

Not bad, plus Harrison Barnes, Sullinger, or PJ3. Could be a nice team.

On to the 2012 Raptors

J.V./ Jason Thompson (mid-level)/Amir
    Thomas Robinson/Ed Davis/Amir
    DeMar/J.J./Kleiza
    O.J. Mayo or Gordon (would have to amnesty someone)/Matthews/Forbes
    Calderon/Lillard or Marshall/Scott McAdoo

or

J.V./Jason Thompson/Amir
    Terrence Jones/J.J./Kleiza
    DeMar/Matthews/Forbes
    Calderon/Dragic/McAdoo

Jones, Robinson, and JV could be a really good defensive front court.

J.V./J.T./Amir
    DeMar/J.J./Kleiza
    Lamb/Matthews/Forbes
    Calderon/Dragic/McAdoo

My only issue with the trade is finding offensive weapons. I could easily see Thomas Robinson turning into an Antonio Davis type player (not a great scorer but contributes), JV and T.R. might take awhile to adapt to the game so we would really have a problem with offence in the front court. The future prospect is amazing though. In the 2nd version Terrence Jones could produce on the offensive end right away, but not enough to make up for Bargs. DeMar would have to come up big and Calderon would have to take more shots. The bench would be very strong though. Dragic and Matthews would tear it up along with J.J. and Ed.

I would love to watch any of these line-ups.
    Last edited by saints91; Tue Apr 17, 2012, 03:42 PM.

It's not a bad move really. Matthews would be good depth and pick up another lotto selection in the process. However, we'd need to get a scorer either via the draft or via fa since we'd lose a lot by trading Bargnani.

Comment

I'm a big Matthews fan but I'd prefer to keep Bargnani.

What about Amir and 2 second rounders for Matthews?

OR

What about ED for Matthews?

Comment

I liked the idea of picking up the draft pick. If 2 2nd rounders and Ed Davis for Matthews and the draft pick is available I would take that in a second. I think Bargs would be wicked as a 6th man subbing both the PF and Centre positions. That would be a pretty impressive team.
        Last edited by saints91; Tue Apr 17, 2012, 06:49 PM.

Comment

thing is that we will dig a hole and put us back 2 years if we do this. Bargs is a huge part of our offense and unless we pick up a big time scorer in the draft we can't afford to trade him at this point.
          Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Tue Apr 17, 2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            thing is that we will dig a hole and put us back 2 years if we do this. Bargs is a huge part of our offense and unless we pick up a big time scorer in the draft we can afford to trade him at this point.
            +1 Like it was put, unless we were to hit Gordon or O.J Mayo in the free-agency, it wouldn't be bad.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

i mean a scorer at a position other than SG. You need at least 2 big time scorers at 2 different positions

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                i mean a scorer at a position other than SG. You need at least 2 big time scorers at 2 different positions
                Well saints91's outlook was Demar at the small forward, so objectivity. BUT I agree in terms of needing two scorers at two different positions.

I think it would work well if we moved Demar to the three OFFENSIVELY, even though he's shown as of late how effective and how much impact he can make on a game at his regular position, him adding size, better ball-handling, and increased range could create more of a better mismatch for him offensively. Defensively he'll get eaten up by Kevin Durant and Lebron James IMO, just cause they are far beyond the skill/athleticism of any other small forward in the league, but in general, I don't know if would be good for him defensively at the three, he can be a solid defender at best, but that's not guarding the best player on the floor half the time....
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                X