Magloire to return? Dwane Casey hopes so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magloire to return? Dwane Casey hopes so

Magloire, who turns 34 next month, might be watching from the stands during the playoffs, but he doesn't expect to be doing that next season. Even though he's played sparingly this season, he said he's not thinking at all about retiring.

"There's no chance of that," said Magloire, a free agent this summer after becoming the first native of Canada to play for the 17-year-old Raptors this season. " I have fun playing basketball. I enjoy the camaraderie. I enjoy the competition. I have a lot of gas left in the tank."

Toronto coach Dwane Casey doesn't disagree. He wants Magloire back with the Raptors next season.

"That's our plan," Casey said. "We haven't really sat down and talked about it. We haven't made an offer to him. But that's my hope and my plan."

Casey said the final decision will be up to the organization as a whole. But he will push for Magloire to return because of his value to the team even when not playing.

"He's helped me tremendously," said Casey, who hopes Magloire next season can be a valuable mentor when center Jonas Valanciunas joins the Raptors after being taken No. 5 in last year's draft -- Valanciunas is currently playing in his native Lithuania. "(Magloire has) set the tone in the locker room. He's helped me deal with players. He's set the tone defensively for us.

"He's invaluable to me as coach, and not only that, as a friend. When things get rough, he's always there, he's always positive. ... And I want him as part of our foundation (for the future)."

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/04/1...74&feedID=3720
    Interesting.

As part of the "Foundation for the Future".

Jamal Magloire.

Huh.

Comment

Sounds like a player/assistant coach transition program...

Comment

Everything Casey spoke of was off the court. Magloire would certainly be a more valuable 14-15th man than say, Alabi.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Everything Casey spoke of was off the court. Magloire would certainly be a more valuable 14-15th man than say, Alabi.
          And he certainly has been effective in spot minutes this year.

I was very skeptical (probably a gross understatement) when he was originally signed.

I would rather Magloire over Alabi as well in the 14-15th roster spot.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

I was very skeptical (probably a gross understatement) when he was originally signed.

+1.

The #1 job for this guy, whether it's Magloire or Alabi, will be to be a credible opposition for JV during practice. No need to say Jonas will learn much more about NBA game by facing Magloire on a daily basis, no matter how much he has left in the tank.

Comment

Given Casey's comments, I wonder what the plans are for Aaron Gray. I like him in the back up role.

Comment

I have a lot of gas left in the tank.
                ...gas left in the tank...
                ...the tank...
                "That's our plan," Casey said.
                All about the secret messages, folks
                Last edited by theycallmeZZ; Thu Apr 19, 2012, 09:12 AM. Reason: extra quote and bold
                TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Given Casey's comments, I wonder what the plans are for Aaron Gray. I like him in the back up role.
                  Gray/Val/Magloire
                  Bargs/ED

Seems reasonable to me.
                  Welp, that sucked.

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                    All about the secret messages, folks
                    +1 Hilarious!

Comment

Magloire always seems to be chirping at someone from the opposing team and other than James Johnson is the only guy on the roster that has no issue with playing the role of a physical intimidator. If he were to not be on the roster (or someone like him) it would be open season on the Raptors again when guys like Garnett, Kendrick Perkins. Melo etc.. come to town. This team needs to have guys that aren't afraid to "throw down" which is one of my fears of a Bargnani/Val tandem? The perception of the Raptors being a soft Euro team would continue to persist and that is pretty much like blood in the water in the NBA.

Comment

I would love to have Jamal back!
                        He was all class ... showed a fire that we haven't seen, either from the bench or the court, since Oak ... TOUGH!

Hypothetically, we bring back Gray and bring over Val ... no reason we can't have Jamal ... Even with Bargs, and Ed or Amir.
                        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

+1
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                            I would love to have Jamal back!
                            He was all class ... showed a fire that we haven't seen, either from the bench or the court, since Oak ... TOUGH!

Hypothetically, we bring back Gray and bring over Val ... no reason we can't have Jamal ... Even with Bargs, and Ed or Amir.
                            Agreed. One of Amir/Ed need to go, regardless of who winds up being the team's 2nd and 3rd string C, as neither of them are legit C in this league. On a team that's going to be quite young, having a veteran player/coach as the 3rd string C is much more meaningful than a long-shot young project C like Alabi (or one drafted with a late 2nd round pick this year). JV is the C of the future and Gray would be an effective backup, leaving the 3rd string C as a practice/emergency player at most (ie: no time or need to try and develop a project).

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Magloire always seems to be chirping at someone from the opposing team and other than James Johnson is the only guy on the roster that has no issue with playing the role of a physical intimidator. If he were to not be on the roster (or someone like him) it would be open season on the Raptors again when guys like Garnett, Kendrick Perkins. Melo etc.. come to town. This team needs to have guys that aren't afraid to "throw down" which is one of my fears of a Bargnani/Val tandem? The perception of the Raptors being a soft Euro team would continue to persist and that is pretty much like blood in the water in the NBA.
                              Reports out of Lithuania are that Val doesn't back down from no one.

Comment

Working...
                              X