X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors and the Amnesty

This is a snippet from an article from realgm

Toronto Raptors

Players Eligible for amnesty: Jose Calderon, Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Linas Kleiza, DeMar DeRozan, Ed Davis, James Johnson, Solomon Alabi

Reasonable candidates for amnesty: Jose Calderon, Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson

Most likely amnesty decision: Not use it. The big question with the Raptors is whether the management that signed Calderon, Bargnani, and Amir will be making the amnesty decisions when the time comes. Considering the team only has around $35M committed for 2013 at the moment (including Jonas Valanciunas), it could be a nice time to make a big splash with some additional space.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/article...#ixzz1sXzENPah
    Daniel Leroux (article's writer) doesn't believe the Raptors will use it. I know this has been discussed in past threads; however, I was wondering what your thoughts are in light of this season.

Would you use it? Who on? And when? (I didn't realize that this could still be used in a few years... Is it something that can be used at any time with any current contract?)
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

The Coach wrote: View Post
    ... Is it something that can be used at any time with any current contract?)
    I don't believe there is a time limit for use on any player currently under contract (that was under the same contract at the time of the settlement. I believe the Amnesty clause goes away for any player when their contract is renewed. It was a "get out of jail" card for deals teams wanted to get out of at the time of the settlement.

Comment

Thank-you. That's what I was thinking.
      “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
      ― John Wooden

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
        I don't believe there is a time limit for use on any player currently under contract (that was under the same contract at the time of the settlement. I believe the Amnesty clause goes away for any player when their contract is renewed. It was a "get out of jail" card for deals teams wanted to get out of at the time of the settlement.
        Exactly.

The amnesty can only be used for contracts that existed before July 1st, 2011 AND it can only be used by the team that owned the contract before July 1st, 2011. If a player is traded who was under contract prior to July 1st, 2011 and is traded (like Richard Jefferson), he is no longer an amnesty candidate.

The only time limit on the amnesty is it must be used prior to the end of the current CBA expiration. Given both sides have opt out clauses in 2016 (I think it was 2016) it seems likely that is the deadline to use it.

Comment

The Coach wrote: View Post
          This is a snippet from an article from realgm

Daniel Leroux (article's writer) doesn't believe the Raptors will use it. I know this has been discussed in past threads; however, I was wondering what your thoughts are in light of this season.

Would you use it? Who on? And when? (I didn't realize that this could still be used in a few years... Is it something that can be used at any time with any current contract?)
          The problem with making that big splash in 2013 is the Toronto is not a free agent hot spot and the Raptors will have to use that cap space to re-sign DD or JJ - unless they are let to walk for nothing OR they are traded before then.

I don't think it will be used this year. I think Jose is traded before amnestied and it will be kept as an insurance policy should Amir or Bargnani really fall off due to disinterest (Charlie V. Syndrome) or injury (like Brandon Roy).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            The problem with making that big splash in 2013 is the Toronto is not a free agent hot spot and the Raptors will have to use that cap space to re-sign DD or JJ - unless they are let to walk for nothing OR they are traded before then.

I don't think it will be used this year. I think Jose is traded before amnestied and it will be kept as an insurance policy should Amir or Bargnani really fall off due to disinterest (Charlie V. Syndrome) or injury (like Brandon Roy).
            While I do feel Derozan will look for a sizeable contract, James Johnson should not get any more than what a guy like Thabo Sefolosha gets, and that will be right around his qualifying offer of 3.9 mil, not a big cap hit at all.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
              While I do feel Derozan will look for a sizeable contract, James Johnson should not get any more than what a guy like Thabo Sefolosha gets, and that will be right around his qualifying offer of 3.9 mil, not a big cap hit at all.
              I agree. But the point is JJ and DD still count towards the cap. The RealGM article said they have $35M committed. Assuming the salary cap is no lower than it currently is at $58M (although there is a very high likelihood it falls as the cap was frozen for 2 years under new CBA) that implies they have $23M to spend in free agency. Unfortunately that is misleading unless the plan is to let JJ and DD play out their qualifying offers and become unrestricted in 2014. I am making up numbers here but let say DD signs for $7M and JJ for $3M, that is $10M gone from that supposed $23M in cap space leaving just $13M - much the same situation Toronto currently finds themselves in this summer.

Comment

The only way I see Colangelo amnestying anyone is if a player becomes available who he absolutely cannot pass up. I have no idea who that player might be (Rudy Gay?), but I'm just speaking of the motivation to amnesty anyone at all.

If such a scenario plays out, the specific player amnestied would largely depend on how much additional cap space is required to bring in [Rudy Gay]. If it's $10 million, so long Calderon. If it's $5 million, take a hike Kleiza. IMO, none of the potential amnesty candidates are good enough to hesitate cutting.

Comment

Something else to consider is the Raptors placing a bid on any amnestied player. The advantage might be gone a bit this summer but teams UNDER the cap are the ones permitted to place bids on any amnestied player with any cap space they have available.

Many of the players amnestied are done for a reason and would likely not warrant consideration. But if a surprise name came across the wire, the Raptors are in a position to take advantage (unless serious salary is added via trade(s) prior to July 1st)

Comment

Can't we go over the cap to sign them both?

Thus not using any of 23 mill in space pre-free agency.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                      Can't we go over the cap to sign them both?

Thus not using any of 23 mill in space pre-free agency.
                      It doesn't work that way.

You can go over the cap to sign your own free agents (that is Bird Rights) but your own free agents have a cap hold when their contract expires or a qualifying offer in the case of restricted free agents. Those cap holds or qualifying offers count against the salary cap even if they are not signed to a contract.

The cap holds for DeRozan next summer will be a little over $10M and the cap hold for Johnson is a little over $8M.

The only way Toronto can avail of the salary cap space is to renounce their rights to DD and JJ making them unrestricted. Of course, they can sign them to a contract much lower than their cap holds (and hopefully they do) but whatever they are signed for will also cut in to the $23M in cap space available.

The best thing Toronto can do is spend the money intelligently this summer via trades or free agency and use Bird Rights to keep their own next summer while making use of their exceptions.

Comment

Working...
                      X