No announcement yet.

8th pick - BPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sullinger is a sleeper bc of his size, he could be a beast...he's got carmelo's body but bigger. A guy who could play 3, 4 or 5. Maybe not a star, but a guy who will bring it and not afraid to mix it up down low. at 8, I think you gotta take him over the PGs. And you gotta take him over Perry Jones as well, who has hakim warrick-shitty-kenyon-martin-lookin-chris-wilcox written all over him

Comment

PS Q Miller is dropping out of the lotto fast, D Aldridge has him at 8th just among the SFs -- very surprising
      Last edited by IROR; Tue May 1, 2012, 08:17 AM.

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
        Sullinger is a sleeper bc of his size, he could be a beast...he's got carmelo's body but bigger. A guy who could play 3, 4 or 5. Maybe not a star, but a guy who will bring it and not afraid to mix it up down low. at 8, I think you gotta take him over the PGs. And you gotta take him over Perry Jones as well, who has hakim warrick-shitty-kenyon-martin-lookin-chris-wilcox written all over him
        If Sullinger ever becomes a small forward in any league, I will give $100.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Hopefully Barnes slips, if not I am hoping we get Lamb. We need a 3pt shooter that can stretch the floor and someone who can play D.

That being said take my opinion with a grain of salt because I don't really follow the NCAA Basketball that much.

Comment

You guys sold me on Lillard in the other thread. I wouldn't mind gambling with this pick. I'm not up on the non lottery picks, whats the ESPN in profile say about T Jones? Also what happened to Lamb's stock?
            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
              To me, PJ3 looks more like a Rudy Gay or Paul George type. Sullinger looks like a Sean May, lol.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                If Sullinger ever becomes a small forward in any league, I will give $100.
                Don't like to speak ill of any prospect but Sullinger will need to become a PG or SG where he can use his big body against smaller NBA players. If he can run off screens and shoot like Reggie Miller you my friend just lost your money!

Comment

I'm not going to quote the guy's whole rant, but just go through players.

I don't think any of these guys are options for us. Sullinger is the most likely to succeed I think, but I just don't see need to stock up at that position. I think his game in no way resembles Amir Johnson. Also, we didn't make the playoffs the year we had O'Neal, and he wasn't there in 05-06, it was 08-09. I don't like the idea of trying to play guys in new positions. That's also why we should not take Perry Jones (aka, best-case is Chris Bosh with even LESS of a motor). PJ3 is NOT A SF guys!! People always assume because a guy is tall with unique skills, you can force him into any spot. It didn't work the few times we played Bargs at the 3. It didn't work with an amazing player like Durant when they tried playing him at the 2. It never seems to work. At best guys become able to play spot minutes at other positions....guys like Odom, and even LeBron, the best and most versatile player in the league, can only get away with some minutes at PF or PG, matchups he frequently gets into. So no PJ3 for sure, and no Sullinger if you think Bargs can go to the SF spot. I might take Sullinger if we were really sold on him coming in and taking Ed or Amir's minutes altogether, if he's that good. It would give us a beastly 3-headed big group with a lot of versatility, especially by JV and Sullinger's 2nd year.
                  I also see no reason to take Melo, Zeller, or Henson. I don't see any of them being great players (obviously I could be wrong), and more importantly, I don't see any of them contributing more than JV, Ed or Amir. I think Quincy Miller, Austin Rivers, Ross, Marshall and Lillard will all be reaches at the 8th pick. They'd all be good if we trade down to the 12-16 range. Finally, Lamb and Jones might both be reaches, but might both impress in workouts. They both have promise, but it's hard to tell what kind of impact they'll have in the pros. Lamb seemed like he should have busted out this season and didn't. Jones had a more stacked team, but still maintains a pretty high stock. He's got game, but how much? Is he a bench player or starter? Don't know.

Verdict: trade the pick unless someone slides (Barnes or MKG...I know it's unlikely but who the hell knows what can happen on draft night) or someone really impresses in workouts.
                  Top option: realistically, it's Sullinger. However I think this still only makes sense if we see him fitting as a backup, and we move on from Ed and Amir. Sullinger looks like he's got major, somewhat old school, game. He also seems like he could have a good head on his shoulders. If Jones or Lamb impresses in workouts, I can see them getting consideration. Lamb has good shooting if we want to draft that. Jones has a great all around game including on offense, but seems like his game will be somewhere between James Johnson(at least this year's version) and an Al Harrington in his prime(or something like that). BOth have had minor questions regarding mentality. They may both be better defenders than Sullinger at the NBA level though, but I doubt this will impact his stock at all.

Comment

Oh, and I still might take Sullinger, Jones or Lamb over Barnes....I really didn't like what I saw from him in the tournament. Hard to tell if his game is actually growing or if he's already hit a wall, which he's having a really hard time getting over.

Comment

your posts are way too long. I managed to read up to the PJ3 part and your wrong. PJ3 is nothing like Bargnani so that is a terrible comparison, everyone even scouts say that he should be playing SF in the NBA. Btw Durant still does play at the 2 in OKC when they go big. PJ3 is quick, athletic, can handle the ball, and also shoot the 3.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        your posts are way too long. I managed to read up to the PJ3 part and your wrong. PJ3 is nothing like Bargnani so that is a terrible comparison, everyone even scouts say that he should be playing SF in the NBA. Btw Durant still does play at the 2 in OKC when they go big. PJ3 is quick, athletic, can handle the ball, and also shoot the 3.
                        Well if you had finished reading my comment, you would see it wasn't a comparison between PJ3 and Bargs, but a comparsion of playing guys out of position. Durant really doesn't play a lot of time at 2. And this season we saw it mostly before they got Fisher because of injury issues at PG. Durant was always getting blown by at that position, and that's why they stopped using him there.
                        Ok, I'm getting sick of "scouts see him at" comments....YOU SEE HIM AT SF. We have no access to insider information, and I loathe to think ESPN is the what we consider reliable. Nbadraft.net has him as a SF/PF, and the comparison is Anthony Randolph, who hasn't amounted to anything and makes a shitty SF. Draftexpress has him as a PF, straight up, with no comparison. Hoopshype is the only one I see with SF, and they compare him to Tim Thomas, who was a tweener and a role player, and couldn't defend the 3 or the 4. So-called scouts often say so much in the months leading up to the draft, and I'm sure some have really said PJ3 can play the 3, but htey probably mean just a little bit/at times. To put it in perspective, don't get too excited because a guy is tall and athletic...He could be Garnett or Odom...Or he could be Anthony Randolph or Nikoloz Tskitishvilli...and given concerns with Jones' motor and attitude, I wouldn't hope for the former.

Comment

And if you don't like long posts, learn to read faster

Comment

Sullinger playing SF made me laugh
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

To me Sullinger is a late lottery at best. The Raptors should not select him at 8.

PG: My first option on your list would be Marshall for BPA. He reminds me a lot of a Ricky Rubio. Great passer but needs to work on his shot. However I don't believe Calderon(the most efficient passer in the league) should come off the bench. Damian Lilliard is mediocre at best. A good shooter but no more then decent in any other category.

SG:An extremely close 2nd for BPA imo would be Jeremy Lamb. He's an athletic wingman with a huge wingspan for his height. He's a good defender with great potential. I wouldn't see him as a franchise player but definately a solid contributer. To me he seems like a slightly better DeMar DeRozan(who would move to the 3 and Raptors would win the championship next season.) The idea of a lineup of Calderon,Lamb,Derozan,Bargnani, and Valanciunas is unreal.Also I laughed a little when you put Terrence Ross in your options. No good for 8th pick. I'd officially resign as a raptors fan if BC chose him. Rivers should've stayed at school another year so instantly drops in my rankings because I'm a little biased on freshmen in the NBA with obvious exceptions(Davis,Beal)

SF: I consider Perry Jones more of a PF but whatever. If he plays SF I'd be fine with that he's athletic as hell and his size is ridiculous. He's also quick for his size. Unfortunately thats about it. He has some jump shot skill but his defense lacks. Although if Casey could turn him around on defense I'd definately want him at 8th. I'm not impressed by Terrence Jones. I though he was good at first but throughout the year he really dissapointed me... Also is it bad I dont even thing Quincy Miller will go in the first round? Again if the Raptors take him I'm never watching another Raptors game unless it's with their second round pick via Pacers. In which case I agree completely

PF:Already talked about Sulligner not a big fan. With Tyler Zeller he seems like a really shitty version of bargnani but with a little less range. Decent defense and a poor rebounder. John Henson is a great defender I like him for that but he's weak and poor on offense

C: Fab Melo-I like that he's dropped a lot due to the fact he couldnt enter the tournament. He's become underrated because of that and I still think hes capable of being a starting Center on most teams(not raptors cuz we have the MVP in Valanciunas)

A few I wanna add.
                              1st round- Arnett Moultrie. He's athletic solid all around and if he could step up his defense under Casey's system I'd definately want him. Meyers Leonard. Personally I wouldnt want him with our pick but I think he could be a solid back up center for valanciunas especially because I dont like any of the centers raptors have now.

2nd round- If Kevin Jones is still around at 37 I think he could be a HUGE steal in the draft. His rebounding is ridiculous and he's a decent defender. I also really liked how Darius Miller played at Kentucky. I'd be happy with him in a Raptors uniform

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                Jesus Christ Sullinger is what you come up with?
                                uncalled for
                                “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                                ― John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                                X