Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The season is over, forget the positives, what were the NEGATIVES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    The last 3 wins meant nothing in determining the quality of the team, its heart and the obvious effect Casey had on it. This has cost us at least 5 spots.
    Winning Culture!!!! When the Raps are in the playoffs 3 years from now and they are 2 down with 9 secs left, Jonas Valanciunas and the other 4 guys on the floor (none of whom play for the Raptors right now) will recall that win against Boston in April 2012 and use the experience gained on that day to execute the out-of-bounds play to get a clean look.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      Winning Culture!!!! When the Raps are in the playoffs 3 years from now and they are 2 down with 9 secs left, Jonas Valanciunas and the other 4 guys on the floor (none of whom play for the Raptors right now) will recall that win against Boston in April 2012 and use the experience gained on that day to execute the out-of-bounds play to get a clean look.
      Thanks, now I have to clean coffee off my monitor! lol priceless

Comment

+1

Not one of them.

Comment

...This highlights the single biggest negative to me and the reason I think this team is not near as close as some think: in a development year, you can't name one young player who blossomed, overachieved, stood out or excelled. That tells you everything you need to know about the lack of talent on this roster and the dearth of any young potential stars. That bodes ill for the future.
          Soooo, from a completely Pollyanna-ish perspective (look it up on Wikipedia kids) you could say that the players actually showed some progression at the end of the season despite being forced to go the whole off-season without contact from any of the coaching or training staff, and despite the almost complete lack of practice time during the season to correct team problems. And even though there was increased risk of (and actual) injuries, improvement occurred.

Imagine how they are going to shoot forward in their development with a regular off-season, coaches attention, recovery time between conditioning and strengthening sessions and a proper training camp.

So their lack of improvement showing is hardly a disappointment.

Can't really think of anything that disappointed me this season. In fact it was the first season I have enjoyed watching games in the last 2 or 3 years.
          Last edited by Puffer; Tue May 1, 2012, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            It didnt happen and it is disappointing/the negative for me. That is all I was expressing...not that the Raptors should have thrown any games.
            Apologies. Misinterpreted your post.

In this case, I absolutely agree.

Comment

1) Derozan not being able to elevate his game in other areas where he is needed, i.e. rebounding, steals, blocks, etc.

2) The amount of accolades, hype and expectations being built for the arrival of Jonas V.

3) Casey playing his veteran players as often as he did in an evaluation year.

4) Casey not giving young players like Ed Davis and Alabi enough minutes to learn on the job which were strategies afforded to DeRozan and Bargnani in the past.

5) Casey calling Ed Davis "Eddie" all the time.

6) Not losing enough to, statistically speaking, be in place for the 1-5 most ping pong balls in the draft lottery.

7) 13 games extrapolated and replacing a years worth of accumulated stats. And then using this extremely small sample size to wash away 6 previous years of sample size.

Comment

1. Not enough camo.
                2. Too much Devlin.

Comment

The wins against Cleveland (twice), New York and Minnesota in the first 10 games or so. If we had just lost those games nobody would have cared (a lot) about the wins at the end of the season.

Comment

Do you remember the opening game (Cavs) when DD I believe made five 3s and got giddy (like he couldnt believe he was jacking them in)! And we all thought wow...this guy really has his long distance shooting down. And then.....

Comment

Haha....will it be Casey calling that play? Oh those negative thoughts.

Comment

The butterfly effect?

Comment

Wow, what a thread!

Picking out the top negatives from a Raptors' season is like picking out the sandiest grain of sand on a beach. But here are some of mine:

- Camo uniforms
                          - Losing twice to Charlotte
                          - Derozan not emerging as the leader we thought he'd be (maybe this was our fault for expecting it)
                          - Bargnani's delicate leg
                          - Absolutely no representation at the all-star weekend
                          - I didn't catch any shirts during the 60 seconds of madness
                          - Inconsistent play from (insert just about any player's name here)
                          - The positive of an improved defense was offset by lousy offense

Also, not to shamelessly promote my own handiwork, but it seems perfect for this thread: these are my official "Raptors Bottom Ten plays of the season":

(Here's the link if it doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de7WHcwe5zU)

Celebrating the Futility of the Toronto Raptors:
                          http://www.holycraptors.com

Comment

Hmmm.....some simple thoughts:

1) We don't have good enough leadership among the players. Maybe Jonas can be that guy eventually, or if we draft/acquire someone to fill it. I hope so, because even if they make strides, I don't see what Demar, Bargs, and Jose bring as being enough, and I think everyone here would agree with that.

2) The strong finish to the season. I don't like tanking, but I also don't think we weren't trying. I mean coaches always want to win, and it's really hard for them not to prepare. But we had 2 D-leaguers and Alabi playing heavy minutes and still played well. I didn't expect us to finish in the bottom 3 before the season, but 2 or 3 weeks ago, I was still hoping for a 4-6 pick...epic fail

3) Amir Johnson and Linas Kleiza: both inconsistent and frustrating, both getting overpaid. People hate on Bargs, but regardless of your personal feelings, 10 million is not overpaying for a PF who scores about 20 PPG. Jose is getting overpaid, but you can have one bad contract if he actually performs, which hate on Jose if you want, but he was our most consistent player if you consider the whole season(also, given our rate of development as a team, his huge contract expires with nice timing). Amir struggles with structure, and his jumpshot seemed to regress. He's still way too skinny for guarding Cs, and I don't see how he gets enough minutes to be worth what we're paying him...for 3 more seasons. Linas isn't really overpaid as much as he doesn't seem to fit in long-term, so his contract blows. If he were a consistent 3-pt threat, his spot would be secure.

Comment

Casey's poor minute management. His grasp of offensive fundementals.

This team still does not have a "closer" or "big shot" type player and has no distance shooters.

I would be concerned about Ed. If a ton of players in every league didn't have bad or regressed sophomoreseasons.

No Rasho Nesterovic type player to mentor and be serious when needs and joke around when needed.

The team has questionable starters save calderon and bargnani, alot of injuries.Yet, the team could be selecting 8th and be happy with it and may not go after starting calibre talent this off season.
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Holy Craptors wrote: View Post
                                Wow, what a thread!

Picking out the top negatives from a Raptors' season is like picking out the sandiest grain of sand on a beach. But here are some of mine:

- Camo uniforms
                                - Losing twice to Charlotte
                                - Derozan not emerging as the leader we thought he'd be (maybe this was our fault for expecting it)
                                - Bargnani's delicate leg
                                - Absolutely no representation at the all-star weekend
                                - I didn't catch any shirts during the 60 seconds of madness
                                - Inconsistent play from (insert just about any player's name here)
                                - The positive of an improved defense was offset by lousy offense

Also, not to shamelessly promote my own handiwork, but it seems perfect for this thread: these are my official "Raptors Bottom Ten plays of the season":

(Here's the link if it doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de7WHcwe5zU)

Imagine if Toronto had won those games and then throw in the 2 losses to Washington and they'd be picking 10th! That would spur some negativity!

Comment

Working...
                                X