Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12 million in cap space before the draft"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank wrote: View Post
    Some really good players there to solve our SF problem, a lot of avenues for BC to explore, a first round pick, a couple of second round picks, possible future draft picks, young tradable assets, and the $12 million in cap space, definitely a lot of flexibility, will be very interesting, and he sounds very confident.

Also, not on the list, but I wonder if BC can make a play for Rondo, he's being paid something like $55 million over 5 years, and I'm sure the Celtics are entertaining offers, just a thought, albeit probably an unrealistic one.
    Interesting point about Colangelo's confidence. I hope it's actually based on a specific plan (with specific players) he has in mind, and armed with knowledge of the likelihood of actually obtaining these players, rather than simply false hope.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      The uniqueness is the flexibility before July 1st. After July 1st, then what you are saying is correct - a lot of teams will have young pieces and money to spend.

Prior to July 1st, no one can 'spend', just trade. Situations where Toronto can benefit:

1) a luxury tax team looking to shed salary before the tax bill on June 30th,
      2) a team stuck in mediocre purgatory looking to rebuild on the fly at the draft,
      3) a team looking to shed salary prior to free agency to become a player in free agency,
      4) a team looking to shed salary because the owner is looking to cut costs.

The only team in the same situation as Toronto is Sacramento and Utah with their TPE ($10.5M).
      Thanks for clarifying. I thought there were many other teams in the same position as Toronto, but seems like we are indeed in a unique situation with only Sacramento and Utah as other viable options.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        Thanks for clarifying. I thought there were many other teams in the same position as Toronto, but seems like we are indeed in a unique situation with only Sacramento and Utah as other viable options.
        No problem.

I am hoping BC is not just blowing hot air - which is a strong possibility.

I'm sure Dwane Casey would agree when I scream, "We want some talent!"

Comment

I see 2 different routes BC could go prior to July 1st, and I like a couple players as the destination both routes would take the franchise:

A) Take on contract & ADD AN ADDITIONAL LOTTERY PICK
          1. Okafor & lottery pick for Amir and/or JJ
          2. Lewis & lottery pick for Amir & JJ & Forbes

B) Trade out of the draft & LAND A STUD
          3. Gay for Amir (& perhaps JJ and/or possibly even DeRozan) & Toronto's lottery pick
          4. Granger for Amir and/or JJ & Toronto's lottery pick
          5. Iggy for Amir and/or JJ & Toronto's lottery pick
          6. Deng for Amir and/or JJ & Toronto's lottery pick

I would be totally on board with 1-3.

For 4-6, I don't think the players (Granger, Iggy, Deng) are worth giving up the lottery pick for. However, I would gladly give up Amir & JJ, along with one/both 2nd round picks.

2011-2012 Salaries:
          Okafor: 12.5M - 2 yrs left
          Lewis: 22.2M - 1 yr left
          Gay: 15.0M - 3 yrs left
          Granger: 12.0M - 2 yrs left
          Iggy: 13.5M - 2 yrs left
          Deng: 12.4M - 2 yrs left
          Amir: 5.5M - 3 yrs left
          JJ: 1.8M - 1 yr left
          Forbes: 1.5M - 1 yr left
          Cap Space: ~12M
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu May 3, 2012, 11:04 AM. Reason: Added salary info for understanding trade requirements

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I see 2 different routes BC could go prior to July 1st, and I like 2 players as the destination both routes would take the franchise:

A) Take on contract & ADD AN ADDITIONAL LOTTERY PICK
            1. Okafor & lottery pick for Amir & possibly JJ
            2. Lewis & lottery pick for Amir & JJ

B) Trade out of the draft & LAND A STUD
            3. Gay for Amir & JJ (or possibly even DeRozan) & Toronto's lottery pick
            4. Granger for Amir & JJ & Toronto's lottery pick

I would be totally on board with 1-3, but I don't think Granger is worth giving up the lottery pick for. However, I would gladly give up Amir & JJ for Granger, with perhaps one/both 2nd round picks included.
            That is a great, simple way to look at the situation. I would be happy with either one (not necessarily players listed though).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              That is a great, simple way to look at the situation. I would be happy with either one (not necessarily players listed though).
              I was just going off the initial list you compiled. Those are really the only 4 players that I liked at first glance (Lewis was only included because of Washington's high draft position, though I doubt they give up the pick with just a year remaining on Lewis' contract).

EDIT: on second thought, Iggy and Deng also interest me, in a way similar to the comment I made about Granger (ie: I'd give up 2nd round picks, but not the lottery pick to get them)
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu May 3, 2012, 10:17 AM. Reason: Changed my mind

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                From the initial list, on order of preference:

Gay (I believe unlikely, but with the tax line you never know ... Memphis' playoff performance may also play a factor)
                Granger (Great duo with George, but maybe they see George as the future SF ... we could send Demar)
                Iggy (Most likely, and maybe the best fit under Casey - but not a fantastic 3 point shooter ... a win, but not huge)
                ... stop.U

These are the easiest moves, roster-wise ... meaning, they don't require other big pieces to be swapped, and they don't create roster holes with the transaction.
                I'd like Iggy. But, I highly doubt he's going anywhere as long as Doug Collins is coach.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                  He is unrestricted FA. We can throw money at him and rockets wont even have a chance to match the offer. I suppose they could but he woudn't be obligated to take it and sign with them. We can offer him something the Rockets can't on top of the money. Starting PG position and playing time. He'll have to split time with Lowry if he goes back to the Rockets.
                  I was referring to Lowry. Dragic is the UFA. As u know, UFas can sign with anyone they choose for whatever....only RFAs must allow their current team to match. If u were referring to Dragic, yes, I dont see him staying w/Houston unless they move Lowry. But apart from the fact they like Lowry a lot it would be v. risky to go this route.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    Even after Dragics run and a swap of first rounders?
                    Dragic is a UFA...it would be v. risky for them to trade Lowry before the F/a signing date and then hope that Dragic signs with them. You will remember the Boozer incident with the Cavs. They may have his Bird's rights though which could give them the upper hand. Depends on what their plans are cause Lowry is the cheaper option as well as the better player imo.

Comment

Another option to consider is all the players that teams would like to dump, who make up to the $7M value of the Barbosa TPE, which essentially disappears July 1st, once the Raptors drop below the salary cap. I wonder what players would be on that list.

Trevor Ariza on New Orleans is one that comes to mind... I wonder if the TPE & both 2nd round picks would be enough for NO's second lottery pick?

Comment

Forget about these big time players, most unlikely it would happen. I would target

ATL - T-Mac
                        BOS - Jeff Green
                        CHA - Gerald Hendersen
                        DAL - Vince Carter (vet minimum if the Mavericks get sweep by the Thunder)
                        DEN - Wilson Chandler
                        GSW - Dorrel Wright (if they pick Perry Jones III or Harrison Barnes)
                        MIN - Derrick Williams (Trade)
                        MIL - Brandon Jennings
                        NJN - Deron Williams
                        NYK - Jeremy Lin
                        ORL - Ryan Andersen (straight up for Amir Johnson)
                        PHI - Louis Williams
                        PORT - Nicholas Batum
                        SAC - Tyreke Evans
                        SAS - Tony Parker + Kawahi Leonard (most likely not)
                        UTAH - Burks + AK47

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                          I'd like Iggy. But, I highly doubt he's going anywhere as long as Doug Collins is coach.
                          Agreed.

I think out of all the players listed, Josh Smith is the best/most realistic player there. He solves all of our problems, and I personally think he would thrive under a coach like Casey. DC's offense is primarily based around running set plays to create post up situations or short curls. Imagine Josh Smith getting the ball in the post instead of James Johnson...

I also think a change of scenery and a hard nosed coach who sets boundaries and limitations for players will help him. Finally, and no offense to Atlanta fans, but they are nothing compared to TO fans (when we have a winning team). We are far more passionate and will embrace him much more, giving him the status he has always wanted.

There isn't a player or pick that would not trade for him.

Comment

Dorell Wright would be pretty nice to have

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                              Forget about these big time players, most unlikely it would happen. I would target

ATL - T-Mac
                              BOS - Jeff Green
                              CHA - Gerald Hendersen
                              DAL - Vince Carter (vet minimum if the Mavericks get sweep by the Thunder)
                              DEN - Wilson Chandler
                              GSW - Dorrel Wright (if they pick Perry Jones III or Harrison Barnes)
                              MIN - Derrick Williams (Trade)
                              MIL - Brandon Jennings
                              NJN - Deron Williams
                              NYK - Jeremy Lin
                              ORL - Ryan Andersen (straight up for Amir Johnson)
                              PHI - Louis Williams
                              PORT - Nicholas Batum
                              SAC - Tyreke Evans
                              SAS - Tony Parker + Kawahi Leonard (most likely not)
                              UTAH - Burks + AK47
                              Chandler and Batum are the only even somewhta realistic options that I would consider targeting. The rest either don't interest me or have 0% chance at being lured to Toronto (ie: Deron Williams).

Comment

The two guys I actually see BC going after prior to July 1st are Wilson Chandler and JJ Reddick.

They wants veteran shooters. Both these guys make about $6M a year. Orlando may be desperate to unload some of their salary to try and improve the team.

Reddick would be a great get (who will also have an expiring contract next year).

As for Chandler, I think Denver just took him back as an asset rather than a guy they want to move forward with.

Another guy I wouldn't mind going after is Scola. He's tenacious, and I would love to see him on the team. Not sure Houston would give him up, but a three headed monster of JV/Scola/Bargs would be pretty enticing.

Comment

Working...
                                X