Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12 million in cap space before the draft"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torch19 wrote: View Post
    Question.

Would the Raptors be able to facilitate a sign and trade if they are over the salary cap ?
    I thought I read something about luxury tax teams having more restrictions on sign and trade in the new CBA. Not sure.

As to your question over the salary cap, yes, they would be able to facilitate but like with all sign and trades it must be with a player they have Bird Rights with.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I thought I read something about luxury tax teams having more restrictions on sign and trade in the new CBA. Not sure.

As to your question over the salary cap, yes, they would be able to facilitate but like with all sign and trades it must be with a player they have Bird Rights with.
      I read something about luxury tax teams are prohibited from facilitating a sign and trade if they are above a certain level starting year 3 of the new CBA.

My question was posted to clarify a potential Steve Nash situation. To rephrase the question, I guess, the way in which I presented the question was unclear:

(1) Assume the Raps make a trade on draft night that brings in a player with a significant contract & takes them over the salary cap going into July 1st.
      (2) My question is, would Phoenix be able to facilitate a sign and trade with Toronto knowing the Raps are over the salary cap? yes.
      (3) Now, what would Phoenix have to take back in order for this to work? This is where I'm really not understanding this whole sign and trade deal. (assuming the new Nash contract is more than the MLE; for the sake of argument - I will place a $10M number on the first year)
      - Would the Raptors have to subsequently get rid of (+/-) 125% of that $10M amount?.. meaning, the amnesty provision will be used on Jose, or trade back contracts worth around the same as Nash'? OR
      - The Raptors are able to take Nash' contract without having to give back the same value in return?.. say, a future draft pick or something

I hope that's more precise, as a question.
      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

I read something about luxury tax teams are prohibited from facilitating a sign and trade if they are above a certain level starting year 3 of the new CBA.

My question was posted to clarify a potential Steve Nash situation. To rephrase the question, I guess, the way in which I presented the question was unclear:

(1) Assume the Raps make a trade on draft night that brings in a player with a significant contract & takes them over the salary cap going into July 1st.
        (2) My question is, would Phoenix be able to facilitate a sign and trade with Toronto knowing the Raps are over the salary cap? yes.
        (3) Now, what would Phoenix have to take back in order for this to work? This is where I'm really not understanding this whole sign and trade deal. (assuming the new Nash contract is more than the MLE; for the sake of argument - I will place a $10M number on the first year)
        - Would the Raptors have to subsequently get rid of (+/-) 125% of that $10M amount?.. meaning, the amnesty provision will be used on Jose, or trade back contracts worth around the same as Nash'? OR
        - The Raptors are able to take Nash' contract without having to give back the same value in return?.. say, a future draft pick or something

pretty sure it is this one
        Would the Raptors have to subsequently get rid of (+/-) 125% of that $10M amount?.. meaning, the amnesty provision will be used on Jose, or trade back contracts worth around the same as Nash'?

Comment

Under the new CBA, teams that are under the luxury tax are not held to 125% + 100K. Only luxury tax teams are still held to that requirement.

Teams under the tax can have trades where contracts exchanged are 150% or a difference of $5M - whichever is smaller.

So the value of contracts going to Phoenix in any sign and trade that brings Nash back $10M would have to be around $6.7M.

Comment

• If Phoenix wanted something for Nash. They would have traded him.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
              If Phoenix wanted something for Nash. They would have traded him.
              I think they would like to get rid of Nash without getting crusified by their fans. That's why they will offer him a low ball offer, so he leaves. They might be able to sell it to their fans if Nash says he's like to play in Canada to finish his career.

Comment

If Phoenix wanted something for Nash. They would have traded him.
                Both Nash and Phoenix had an agreement at the start of the year that Phoenix wouldn't trade him as long as he did not request a trade. From what I've read, neither team or player wanted a Dwight/Melo situation on their hands.

Given he was not traded (i.e. word kept by Suns) and he did not request a trade private or more importantly publicly (i.e. Nash kept his word), I think both parties will work together to see that Phoenix does not lose him for nothing other than cap space and Nash can get market value with a team that is not gutted.

Again, this is just my opinion based on all the articles written on the matter this year that I have read - not claiming it as fact.

Comment

Under the new CBA, teams that are under the luxury tax are not held to 125% + 100K. Only luxury tax teams are still held to that requirement.

Teams under the tax can have trades where contracts exchanged are 150% or a difference of $5M - whichever is smaller.

So the value of contracts going to Phoenix in any sign and trade that brings Nash back $10M would have to be around $6.7M.
                  Thanks for the clarification
                  “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

I think you aren't considering the other ways of making transactions.
                    I realize that free agency and trades are options too. But it's known that Toronto isn't a desirable market for would-be free agents, and the few who are interested, usually require an above-market contract. I'd rather not rely on this route to improving the team.

As for trades, in order to get quality, you have to give up quality. And I'm not sure if we have the assets to land an "elite" player without completely gutting our current roster.

The easiest way to build this team, is through the draft. Hence the aversion to the 7-10th seed range.

Comment

• Atlanta Hawks

The Hawks have committed $60.9 million to just six players and while this group can win 50 games, they can’t get out of the first or second round of the playoffs as currently constructed. It has been suggested on numerous occasions that the All-Star snub Josh Smith is the logical player to be traded.

Smith will earn $13.2 million in the final year of his contract next season and any team acquiring his services will have to take this into consideration, but Smith is precisely the type of player that could elevate Toronto into serious playoff contention. A lottery pick and some young talent should get Atlanta’s attention.

If Hawks want to add depth and the potential to improve without risking luxury tax, their alternatives are very limited. As HOOPSWORLD’s Jason Fleming explained, “If they want to sign veteran minimum salaries – like how they signed Tracy McGrady, Vladimir Radmanovic, Jason Collins, Jerry Stackhouse, Willie Green and Jannero Pargo last summer – they will be in the luxury tax.”
                      Chicago Bulls

It is expected the Bulls will be without All-Star Derrick Rose all of next season and if All-Star Luol Deng participates in the Olympics, Deng could miss the start of the season recovering from delayed wrist surgery. With $60 million committed to just six players and three non-guaranteed deals totaling $12.5 million, the Bulls could be deep into luxury tax territory and fighting to just make the playoffs next year if something doesn’t change.

Chicago has the option to eat the luxury taxes and keep this highly successful team together or they could choose to take advantage of lower expectations to restructure their roster. If Chicago restructures, their options include not picking up the non-guaranteed contracts, amnesty of Carlos Boozer or trading Luol Deng, and it would take at least two of these options to make a significant difference to their payroll.

If Chicago is willing to take back a lottery pick, a young player and cap space for Deng’s $13.3 million salary, Toronto could accommodate them. The Bulls have some tough decisions to make.

Memphis Grizzlies

The Grizzlies have $59.5 million committed to six players next season and must issue qualifying offers to O.J. Mayo, Marreese Speights and Darrell Arthur for a total of $14.4 million or risk losing them to unrestricted free agency this summer. Unfortunately, the small market Grizzlies cannot afford to become a luxury tax team, so something has to give.

While it has been long rumored that Mayo would be traded or lost to free agency, Mayo’s salary alone does not significantly alleviate Memphis’ luxury tax issues and Mayo has proven to be a key player for the Grizzlies over the past four seasons. Somewhat surprisingly, this team enjoyed its greatest success during the 2011 playoffs when Rudy Gay was injured.

Gay is earning a max contract over the next three seasons and receiving a lottery pick, young players and salary cap space could solve Memphis’ luxury tax issues into the foreseeable future. Gay, like Smith or Deng, would instantly move the Raptors into playoff contention.

Oklahoma City Thunder

The Thunder can keep this group of players together next season. Their issue is the pending contract extension talks with James Harden and Serge Ibaka. After next season, Oklahoma City has committed $41.8 million to Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant and Kendrick Perkins and both Harden and Ibaka can make a case for maximum or near maximum deals.

The minimum for Ibaka was set when DeAndre Jordan received a four-year $43 million contract last summer and Harden could be the best young shooting guard in the league. The Thunder will not part with either of these players easily, but it would be very difficult for this small market team to spend any significant time in luxury tax territory.

An argument can be made that it will be easier for the Thunder to replace Harden’s offense off the bench than Ibaka’s defensive presence and the most effective means of replacing Harden’s contributions in the lineup would be with another young scorer on their rookie deal and a lottery pick.

The Thunder should make their move with these two young stars before contract extension talks begin next season. Allowing either of them to become restricted free agents risks losing them for nothing. Most teams with a lottery pick would put a serious proposal in front of the Thunder if Harden became available.

Colangelo spent this past season creating the maximum financial flexibility possible and protecting his team’s draft status. The first real test of his efforts will come with the NBA draft when all eyes will be on Toronto to see if Colangelo can, indeed, take the first step towards building the contender that he has described. With the recent changes to the collective bargaining agreement and luxury tax rules, he should be able to find a partner with whom to create some draft day fireworks.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-ra...aft-day-trades

Has Brotherston been hanging out in RR Trade Forum? - lol - Nice to see these ideas in the mainstream but still not sure how credible they are.

Of these ideas:

Atlanta - have Smith sign an extension and OK.

Chicago - no thank you.

Memphis - Yes, please.

OKC - they have over a year plus this doesn't fit in to the idea of taking on a current big money contract.

Of Atlanta and Memphis, I'd rather go Gay with Memphis.

Comment

Has Brotherston been hanging out in RR Trade Forum? - lol - Nice to see these ideas in the mainstream but still not sure how credible they are.

Of these ideas:

Chicago - no thank you.

Memphis - Yes, please.

OKC - they have over a year plus this doesn't fit in to the idea of taking on a current big money contract.

i would like a juice and sandwich

Comment

Of these ideas:

Chicago - no thank you.

Memphis - Yes, please.

Definitely prefer Gay, although his contract scares me.

OKC definitely will not make a move IMO. They have another year with this team to make a championship run, and he is protection for a major injury of one their other players.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
                            Definitely prefer Gay, although his contract scares me.

OKC definitely will not make a move IMO. They have another year with this team to make a championship run, and he is protection for a major injury of one their other players.
                            His contract is steep. The 'good' thing is it would be for just 3 seasons. During that time Bargnani is locked up, JV would be locked up, and you could get a few more rotational pieces locked up without having to worry about the new luxury tax.

Comment

• Calderon
                              Derozan
                              Josh Smith
                              Bargnani
                              Val

That is an interesting lineup. Val and Smith together could be amazind defensively. You'd have a combination of rebounding, shot blocking and toughness. It would also free up Barngani to do his thing on offense. Calderon could have a feild day on the pick n' roll with Smith and Val.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                Calderon
                                Derozan
                                Josh Smith
                                Bargnani
                                Val

That is an interesting lineup. Val and Smith together could be amazind defensively. You'd have a combination of rebounding, shot blocking and toughness. It would also free up Barngani to do his thing on offense. Calderon could have a feild day on the pick n' roll with Smith and Val.
                                The problem becomes three point shooting though Demar would have to come off the bench and maybe since you have a long and strong josh smith at three you can afford to have Bayless start at the two?
                                Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

Working...
                                X