Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12M in cap space before the draft" Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12M in cap space before the draft" Part 2

Part 1 of this idea can be found here.

We will be in a unique position with $12 million in cap space before the draft and before July 1 to entertain deals where significant contracts could come into play. You could move a player out with some value and take back a player with significant value even higher than that $12 million. If you package the pick along with a young player, what does that net you? All of those questions will be answered over the course of the next several weeks and months as Ed Stefanski and I entertain those phone calls from the various GMs and us placing phone calls to various GMs. We will have a lot of lines in the water.”

http://www.hoopsworld.com/are-the-ra...team-next-year

Initially I thought about this idea with the thinking of Colangelo taking back an expensive or overpaid yet useful (or in some cases VERY useful) player. Another possibility would be to use the Raptors cap space to take another team's bad contracts or contracts that are holding them back from making a splash in free agency in exchange for assets (draft picks, prospects, proven players on rookie contracts, or players in the magic 25-28 range who can shoot). A team that has 2 dead weight contracts and just one amnesty clause also makes a possible interesting trade partner as the Raptors could take one contract and the other team could amnesty the other.

As was said in Part 1, lets make an assumption that the young players BC speaks of on Raptors roster are 25 or under. That gives us a list of (2012-13 salaries in brackets): Amir Johnson ($6M), DeMar DeRozan ($3.3M), Ed Davis ($2.2M), and James Johnson ($2.8M).

In compiling the list below I have made a number of subjective classifications dead weight a team might want gone and assets they might be willing to trade to make the dead weight go away that Toronto might actually want. If you disagree with what I have below or would make an addition, please do so in your posts. By no means is this considered to be a definitive list - just a conversation starter.

Atlanta:
    Dead weight: Williams (2 years, $15M)
    Assets: 23rd pick, Josh Smith

Charlotte:
    Dead weight: Maggette (1 year, $11M), Diop (1 year, $7.4M), Carroll (1 year, $3.5M), Thomas (3 years, $25M)
    Assets: 1-4 draft pick, sign&trade DJ Augustin

Chicago:
    Dead weight: Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer
    Assets: 29th pick, Charlotte 1st round pick protections (14,12,10,8) until 2016 unprotected

Dallas:
    Dead weight: Shawn Marion (2 years, $18M), Brendan Haywood (3 years, $27M)
    Assets: 17th pick, Beaubois, rights to Nick Calathes

Denver:
    Dead weight: Al Harrington (3 years, $21M), Chris Andersen (2 years, $9.3M)
    Assets: 20th pick, Jordan Hamilton

Detroit:
    Dead weight: Ben Gordon (2 years, $25M), Charlie V (2 years, $16.5M)
    Assets: likely 9th pick, Austin Daye

Golden State:
    Dead weight: Richard Jefferson (2 years, $21M), Andris Biedrins (2 years, $18M)
    Assets: about a 70% chance of a 1,2,3 or 7 pick, Klay Thompson, Dorrell Wright

Milwaukee:
    Dead weight: Beno Udrih (1 year, $7.8M), Drew Gooden (3 years, $20M)
    Assets: 12th pick, Brandon Jennings

New Orleans:
    Dead weight: Okafor (2 years, $28M), Ariza (2 years, $15M)
    Assets: 2 lottery picks, Aminu, Smith, Vasquez, Henry

Orlando:
    Dead weight:
    Asset: JJ Redick (1 year, $6M)

Philadelphia:
    Dead weight: Brand (1 year, $18M)
    Asset: 15th pick, Jrue Holiday

Phoenix:
    Dead weight: Josh Childress (3 years, $21M), Hakim Warrick (3 years, $14M)
    Asset: 13th pick, sign and trade Nash

Portland:
    Dead weight: none
    Assets: possibly 2 lottery picks, Wesley Matthews

Sacramento:
    Dead weight: John Salmons (2 years, $15.5M), Sergio Garcia (1 year, $6.1M), Outlaw (3 years, $9M), Chuck Hayes (3 years, $17M)
    Assets: possible #5 pick, Tyreke Evans

Washington:
    Dead weight: Lewis (1 year, $10-13M guaranteed of $23M), Blatche (3 years, $25.5M)
    Assets: possible #2 pick

The thinking of BC adding another draft pick or young player goes against many public statements he and DC have said this year. However, it is becoming clear with Colangelo and Casey that often times what is said is a bluff (no trades at deadline) and what is not said is what is on their mind (JV).

Any scenario of Raptor cap space facilitating taking on another teams dead weight for the acquisition of an asset(s) appeal to you? This type of scenario could help move up in the draft.

The Bulls also have the rights to Nikola Mirotic I think. And that's an interesting asset.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
      The Bulls also have the rights to Nikola Mirotic I think. And that's an interesting asset.
      That is a really interesting asset. I didn't think it would be on the table though. But what do I know? lol

Comment

Your name?...maybe...?
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          That is a really interesting asset. I didn't think it would be on the table though. But what do I know? lol
          Well, you might be right in relation to their dead weight you listed. But that might be different if they consider Boozer semi dead weight.

Comment

atlanta in a second for either the pick or smith. detroit id like gordon for their pick(wont happen though). i think charlotte will suck one more year and then hit free agency big time. hornets id take okafor with one of their picks and aminu.

Comment

Scenarios above that interest me for use of cap space and combination of ED, DD, JJ, Amir, 2nd round picks (note - I'd only be interested in swapping 1st round picks. I think Toronto can get a good player at 8 or possibly to 12 in a swap down and definitely with a swap up):

Dallas: Beaubois, 17th pick, rights to Calathes, take on Marion

New Orleans: Okafor (assuming healthy) and Ariza interest me. They are expensive but they are also better than the majority of players currently on roster. Throw in another lotto pick or player like Aminu or Vasquez and things become interesting.

Philly: Jrue Holiday would be a dream pick up. I'd give up just about anything for him. Not sure Philly feels the same.

Portland: no dead weight but I'd give up DD, ED, JJ, Amir for Matthews and/or pick. Don't think they would.

Sacramento: swap picks (assuming they are higher) for Garcia.

I'm not sure if any are realistic. I think Dallas could be a real possibility given the major overhaul they are looking to do this summer. Haywood they becomes amnesty-bait.

Comment

Last I heard it was that Raymond Felton was not happy in Portland and the Trail Blazers felt the same way about Felton. I wonder if a Calderon and one of our bigs for Felton + draft pick trade would be mutually benficial to both sides. Portland has set themselves up to be right back in the hunt as contenders next season. With Aldridge and Batum in their primes I don't think they want to try and rebuild through the lottery. They probably want to get as many assets as they can for those picks so they can contend next season.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  Last I heard it was that Raymond Felton was not happy in Portland and the Trail Blazers felt the same way about Felton. I wonder if a Calderon and one of our bigs for Felton + draft pick trade would be mutually benficial to both sides. Portland has set themselves up to be right back in the hunt as contenders next season. With Aldridge and Batum in their primes I don't think they want to try and rebuild through the lottery. They probably want to get as many assets as they can for those picks so they can contend next season.
                  Felton is an unrestricted free agent though.

Supposedly they have eyes for a PG through free agency. I"ve read rumours on Dragic and Nash.

Comment

I'd love Jrue but the way he's played in the playoffs (no Rose, but still) I think he's a core piece moving forward. Wouldn't be surprised if they let all their FA/RFA's walk except Hawes and roll with what they have.

Also, I want nothing to do with Josh Smith.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Or Augustine. There is no language to properly express how little I want to do with him.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Interesting scenario's

Sacramento deal is pretty logical as I'm sure Kings would rather dump salary and move back a bit in the draft then have to pay Garcia any longer.

Comment

I would also take the dead weight of Okafor's contract if we could swap one of our 1st round picks with them (preferrably in 3-5 range), send them our dead weight of Andrea (sell it to them as a player of all-star potential of course) and throw in Aminu to our side of the deal. That's a win for both teams imo.

A lot of intriguing scenario's when reviewing all of the teams you have listed and the player possibilities.

Comment

Amir & JJ & both 2nd round picks to NO for Okafor and one of their lottery picks

- great backup C to mentor Valanciunas (Okafor)
                            - clear up the logjam at PF (Bargnani & Davis, Amir traded)
                            - clear up the potential logjam at SF, should one be drafted (MKG/Barnes & Kleiza, JJ traded)
                            - 2nd lottery pick can be used for backup SG/PG (ie: Lamb, Marshall, Lillard - Beal would be lucky steal)

- NO saves a bunch of money and unloads a bad contract (could then amnesty Ariza if they wanted to)
                            - NO picks up a PF & SF who could both be valuable starter/rotation players
                            - NO still has one lottery pick and adds 2 2nd rounders (#38 & #56)

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              Amir & JJ & both 2nd round picks to NO for Okafor and one of their lottery picks

- great backup C to mentor Valanciunas (Okafor)
                              - clear up the logjam at PF (Bargnani & Davis, Amir traded)
                              - clear up the potential logjam at SF, should one be drafted (MKG/Barnes & Kleiza, JJ traded)
                              - 2nd lottery pick can be used for backup SG/PG (ie: Lamb, Marshall, Lillard - Beal would be lucky steal)

- NO saves a bunch of money and unloads a bad contract (could then amnesty Ariza if they wanted to)
                              - NO picks up a PF & SF who could both be valuable starter/rotation players
                              - NO still has one lottery pick and adds 2 2nd rounders (#38 & #56)
                              I like this idea in theory, except I'm worried that Okafor had some knee injury and missed about 40 games last season. This trade would require a draft day deal, which would assume Okafor will be healthy in about two months. Otherwise we'd be taking a big Bogut type gamble, which I don't think BC would go for.

Comment

Working...
                              X