• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary Neal, Gary, Neal, Gary Neal....
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Draft wrote: View Post
      ...Don't see J. Kidd on the list but would consider him because he has timely shooting (the key component) that answers runs and can win close games. ...
      All respect to Mr. Kidd, but he doesn't draw double teams. Casey said "...you have to have shooters.." That implies players who are recognized as shooters. One thing that happens when a team has shooters is that the other players are freed up. Raps don't have players that can create on the floor, so they need to find other ways to get their shots. Bargs is a great example. He is a shooter, so his quick pump fakes lead to trips to the line when opponents commit on them, or a drive to the basket as he goes around. But DD has has problems driving because players can collapse when he makes his move to the basket. Calderon has trouble getting his shot off, because they can afford to play him straight up, with his floor speed. Same thing for JJ (with his skill set he gets to the rim far less often than he should). A lot of the problems come form static offence. But you aren't going to have a fluid offence unless you move the ball AND YOUR OPPONENTS FOLLOW THE MOVEMENT. Which they would have to if the ball wound up in the hands of a high % shooter.

Remember when Bosh was here? Everything was easier because he was consistently double teamed.

That's why the Raptors need shooters. They bring in one or two shooters, and suddenly Caderon and DeRozan will become shooters too, because more shots (or lanes) will open up for them.

Comment

i expected more love for ilyasova to be honest...

OJ
        Ilyasova
        Green

all pretty much no brainers...

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          Outside of the age thing, you know who's a fantastic shooter?

Steve Nash

Funny you should mention that

Via Hoopshype:

All indications in Phoenix are the Suns will make Steve Nash a limited offer and he’ll move on. It makes sense as the Suns will have $23 million in salary cap room and they’ve gone as far as they can go. The Suns were always a player destination, and this will test whether they still are under the frugal Robert Sarver management. Many believe Nash instead of chasing a title with a contender for a lesser salary will go back to Canada and the Raptors for a three-year deal and help bring their young players along.

Jay Triano finally earning his wage?

Comment

Does "shooter" necessarily mean 3 point shooter? I think we (equally) need a guy who can just spot up jumpers and those who can create their own shot. I think these 3 go hand in hand. Though I guess there's no stat that shows guys who are good at those other two..
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
              Does "shooter" necessarily mean 3 point shooter? I think we (equally) need a guy who can just spot up jumpers and those who can create their own shot. I think these 3 go hand in hand. Though I guess there's no stat that shows guys who are good at those other two..
              I think it does.

Bargnani, DeRozan, and Valanciunas all need space to do their thing.

I think 3 point shooters are crucial to keep the D honest and create opportunities.

Comment

Yeah, the Raptors need another guy to spread the floor. I would not be shocked if Colangelo went after Granger.

What would it take, that's the question? West only has a year left on contract and he really didn't fit in Indiana this year. He could be on the move again. That said, there is room for Amir and Ed in Indiana I think... So them plus a lottery protected 1st rounder. The Raptors eat the extra cap and belch in celebration.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                  My opinion is that to find a solid mid-range shooter you have to look either Euro or stretch 4. The way young players are playing now is that the points come either in the paint or outside the 3pt line. Being involved in ball, I find it sad to see the way is going. Many players would rather look good and loose than look bad and win, and that carries over to development. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing highlight plays, but to see a kid in a game try some And1 ballhandling move and have people go nuts, only to still have his defender in front of him is frustrating. 15 foot jumpers just don't excite people.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Yeah, the Raptors need another guy to spread the floor. I would not be shocked if Colangelo went after Granger.

What would it take, that's the question? West only has a year left on contract and he really didn't fit in Indiana this year. He could be on the move again. That said, there is room for Amir and Ed in Indiana I think... So them plus a lottery protected 1st rounder. The Raptors eat the extra cap and belch in celebration.
                    Love the idea of Granger or Ilyasova (as a consolation prize). However, I would hate to lose ED to get him. I would. But I wouldn't like it.
                    Welp, that sucked.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                      Outside of the age thing, you know who's a fantastic shooter?

Steve Nash
                      take it with a grain of salt but i just read this on thescore.com http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...ys-one-writer/

personally i think the chances are 50/50...

Comment

FanNation, CNNSI's rumor mill section, has also picked up the story: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ave-for-canada

If Nash ever were to sign with Toronto, BC would suddenly have yet another attractive asset to work with to further improve his team. A veteran, pass-first PG on an expiring contract, that could bring back up to $13.3M in salary ($10.56M*1.25 + 0.1)... what an offseason for Raptors fans!

Comment

I really don't get why people like OJ Mayo. He's a shooter that doesn't shoot very well, isn't much of a finisher, his assist to turnover ratio is pretty bad, and his defence comes and goes not only game to game but possession to possession. What's the appeal?

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                            I really don't get why people like OJ Mayo. He's a shooter that doesn't shoot very well, isn't much of a finisher, his assist to turnover ratio is pretty bad, and his defence comes and goes not only game to game but possession to possession. What's the appeal?

He is actually a decent shooter, 36.4% from 3 point land. As far as the other aspects I don't really watch the grizzlies enough to make a comment on it though the assist to turnover I agree
                            Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                              I have to agree.

Also, he has a knack for inciting fights at 30,000 feet over card games.

I would rather spend $2.5M on Danny Green than $8M on Mayo (dollar amounts are guesstimates on my part).

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                                Love the idea of Granger or Ilyasova (as a consolation prize). However, I would hate to lose ED to get him. I would. But I wouldn't like it.
                                I would do it and I would like it. To improve you must make sacrifices and so dealing a guy like Ed is all apart of the game. It would be the kind of trade where Ed could go on to maybe be a double double guy eventually for the Pacers but would never do it for the Raptors because he'd never get the playing opportunity to grow like that here. For me, looking at it that way, the Raptors are paying with something that would never be in Toronto to get something real right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X