Breakdown of BC's draft picks in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torch19 wrote: View Post
    I saw an article (bleacher report) and BC is ranked 4th or 5th, not sure. But def in the top 5
    you lost me at "bleacher report"
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Bargnani was a bad pick when Aldridge was still available. Even Bosh publicly stated that he would choose Aldridge - this is unusual for a player to do. He might still be here if it were not for this mistake and the fortunes (on court) would have been night and day! Even with Bargnani's future improved play, it was still the wrong choice. At the time I was thinking, it's BC, I must be wrong. Didn't take too long after to see that it was he who clearly made the incorrect choice! Don't like players with knee problems unless it's a heavily scrutinized (informed) decision - Roy!

I was upset with the DD choice because Lawson imo was clearly such a talent. Disappointed he missed Jennings even though I knew nothing about him - this should not excuse BC. Other players further down that he missed also.
      On the bright side DD's work ethic should lead to much future improvement and I have high hopes for him.

Liked the Ed pick at the time so I have no say now. Loved Jordan Crawford and wanted them to find a way to get him at 27.

Liked Fredette, Knight and JV in that order. His order was JV then Knight. Thought he did very well, but new decision makers were in the mix by then.

Moving forward, I see them drafting better than they ever have - still worry about them missing players though!

There are two players in this draft that I will be disappointed if they don't get.
      As much as you want to say even Chris Bosh said draft him, the reason we didn't draft LA was because of Chris Bosh's presence the 2 played basically identical with no chance of ever being able to hold down the paint because they were both considered "finesse" big men. Even though Andrea had that stigma as well he was at least a legit 7 feet tall with the potential to hold down the paint due to his shot blocking abilities ( which he's proven to be decent at).

Excited about Jennings? Why.. all he did was talk, his stats were suspect.. Derozan was easily the best pick for us at the time already projected around that spot and was suppose to be able to fill a huge hole on the wing for us .. he may still..

Ed davis who cares that draft sucked lol

and we all saw where drafting fredette got sacremento..lol adam morrison v2.

Comment

Draft wrote: View Post
        Bargnani was a bad pick when Aldridge was still available. Even Bosh publicly stated that he would choose Aldridge - this is unusual for a player to do. He might still be here if it were not for this mistake and the fortunes (on court) would have been night and day! Even with Bargnani's future improved play, it was still the wrong choice. At the time I was thinking, it's BC, I must be wrong. Didn't take too long after to see that it was he who clearly made the incorrect choice! Don't like players with knee problems unless it's a heavily scrutinized (informed) decision - Roy!

I was upset with the DD choice because Lawson imo was clearly such a talent. Disappointed he missed Jennings even though I knew nothing about him - this should not excuse BC. Other players further down that he missed also.
        On the bright side DD's work ethic should lead to much future improvement and I have high hopes for him.

Liked the Ed pick at the time so I have no say now. Loved Jordan Crawford and wanted them to find a way to get him at 27.

Liked Fredette, Knight and JV in that order. His order was JV then Knight. Thought he did very well, but new decision makers were in the mix by then.

Moving forward, I see them drafting better than they ever have - still worry about them missing players though!

There are two players in this draft that I will be disappointed if they don't get.

Nice work putting things in perspective - things are not as bad as we think: Even though they might have missed a few good players readers recognized, they look to have outperformed many teams in lottery selecting!
        +1
        It just goes to show how much of a crapshoot this is, and how much emphasis we put on ONE move making or breaking a team. I think I'll read this over and over to get rid of my nerves heading into the draft

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Aldridge was never a real consideration for the 2006 draft for the Raptors. Can you imagine BC, or any GM, using the #1 overall pick to draft a player who will only be a guaranteed backup player as long as your current young, franchise player is on your roster? Please, hindsight is one thing, but the Raptors were never ever ever going to draft Aldridge with Bosh as the focal point!

The 2006 draft for the Raptors essentially was between Bargnani and the 3 wings - Roy, Foye and Gay. For the first few years lots of fans were wishing the Raps had drafted Roy, but where are they now? Foye is a decent rotation player, but borderline starter. Gay is a great player at both ends of the court, but he's also making about 50% more per season than Bargnani... is he worth the $16.4M he'll be making next season? I was and continue to be satisfied with the Bargnani pick... as a fan of his, I only wish we had gotten him with the #2-5 pick, so that so many fans wouldn't automatically heap the "#1 overall" expectations on his shoulders!
          Trade the pick and maximize your assets then. They picked Bargnani and in hindsight (because Colangelo has said Andrea is a natural 4 now) it is the exact same scenario as picking Aldridge isn't it?

Gay is making more money but you don't know what type of contract he would be signed to with the Raps currently. even then, i'd rather pay more money for a player that is committed to the game and getting better every year then a player who I am paying less to but coasts on whatever natural talent he has.

Comment

Didn't Rudy Gay and Paul George have questions about motivation and lack of assertiveness coming out of college ?
            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

dunno about George but Gay did. I think the thing with George was he went to fresno state
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                Didn't Rudy Gay and Paul George have questions about motivation and lack of assertiveness coming out of college ?
                Thats what assessing talent is all about as a GM. Do you see a problem with Rudy Gay regarding motivation and lack of assertiveness now?

Thats what the job entails, projecting what a players game will become in the future.

Obviously some GMs' do a far better job of this than others.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                  Thats what assessing talent is all about as a GM. Do you see a problem with Rudy Gay regarding motivation and lack of assertiveness now?

Thats what the job entails, projecting what a players game will become in the future.

Obviously some GMs' do a far better job of this than others.
                  A lot of Memphis fans (based on blog and newspaper comment sections) have an issue with his body language and demeanour. Gay is Memphis' Bargnani it seems, in my opinion.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                    you lost me at "bleacher report"
                    In a case like this, there is no inside information. John Madden could write an article about this topic.

The internet provides all the research needed.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                      Game 7 of Mephis against the Clippers, 4th quarter in a close game with all of your season on the line. Rudy Gay produced, in 9 minutes of play: 3 rebounds, 1 turnover and a grand total of 2 fieldgoal attempts, both missed (one even meaningless with 17 seconds to go and trailing by 11).

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                        Game 7 of Mephis against the Clippers, 4th quarter in a close game with all of your season on the line. Rudy Gay produced, in 9 minutes of play: 3 rebounds, 1 turnover and a grand total of 2 fieldgoal attempts, both missed (one even meaningless with 17 seconds to go and trailing by 11).
                        BUST!!! Cut the deadweight now!
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

A player's usage isn't entirely dependent on the player though. I didn't see the game, but I would think that Gay's underwhelming final 9 minutes was also attributed to who else was demanding the ball (Conley, Gasol, ZBo), and what coach Hollins drew up on the sidelines.

I agree with the idea that Gay should be the guy taking over in close games, but is he always asked to? Who knows.

Comment

What was the strategy of Coach Hollins?

I think Memphis is doomed with both Randolph and Gay.

Randolph is an alpha-dog (borderline selfish player when losing). He demands the ball and said as much very publicly after the series ended. He is also paid near max money.

Gay is paid max money. As long as he is paid max money the expectation among fans is going to be he should be giving max production.

I have no idea what went on in the huddles or what the strategy was but Gay looks to be in a lose-lose situation in Memphis in that if he is option 1, Randolph has a hissy-fit and the fans love Z-Bo but if he is option 2 he is a max player and now a world class bum in the eyes of fans.

Not to mention that the $16.5M that both Gay and Randolph make next year could very easily be used elsewhere in the roster to get a backup PG, back up PF, back up C, three point shooting, and scoring off the bench.
                            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu May 24, 2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              A player's usage isn't entirely dependent on the player though. I didn't see the game, but I would think that Gay's underwhelming final 9 minutes was also attributed to who else was demanding the ball (Conley, Gasol, ZBo), and what coach Hollins drew up on the sidelines.

I agree with the idea that Gay should be the guy taking over in close games, but is he always asked to? Who knows.
                              I agree, that's why I didn't give any judgement. I didn't see the game either, but read quite some criticism about this performance (and thus his lack of assertiveness) afterwards (fair or not).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                What was the strategy of Coach Hollins?

I think Memphis is doomed with both Randolph and Gay.

Randolph is an alpha-dog (borderline selfish player when losing). He demands the ball and said as much very publicly after the series ended. He is also paid near max money.

Gay is paid max money. As long as he is paid max money the expectation among fans is going to be he should be giving max production.

I have no idea what went on in the huddles or what the strategy was but Gay looks to be in a lose-lose situation in Memphis in that if he is option 1, Randolph has a hissy-fit and the fans love Z-Bo but if he is option 2 he is a max player and now a world class bum in the eyes of fans.

Not to mention that the $16.5M that both Gay and Randolph make next year could very easily be used elsewhere in the roster to get a backup PG, back up PF, back up C, three point shooting, and scoring off the bench.
                                Any deal for Gay would have to involve DeRozan, our 2012 first rounder, James Johnson and Ed Davis. At least. And I'd do it. Hands down.

Comment

Working...
                                X