Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors talking Lowry trades with Rockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors talking Lowry trades with Rockets?

For his career, Lowry has averaged 10.4 points and 4.8 assists. Lowry has two very reasonable years remaining on his contract and will earn $5.75 million in 2012-1 and $6.2 million in 2013-14.

The Raptors are extremely high on Lowry, so there is little doubt – despite Morey’s desire to keep Lowry in the fold – that he and Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo will discuss a Lowry deal. If that falls through the Raptors could instead pursue Dragic, though I do not know if he is a favourite of theirs like Lowry or not.

After Lowry burned the Raptors for a game-high 26 points (including 4-for-4 from three) in a three-point win in Houston, I asked Raptors head coach Dwane Casey what he thought of Lowry and Casey lauded the guard for his toughness and ability.

“He’s a hell of a competitor. He’s their heart and soul and spirit of their team and I love the way he plays,” Casey said.

Long-time Raptor Alvin Williams, now a scout with the team, is extremely close with Lowry and is one of his mentors. Both are from Philadelphia and both played for Villanova. “Alvin is my main man,” Lowry once said.

Complicating a potential deal would be the fact that Houston would have to be sure Dragic will re-sign long-term with the club to be its starter before opting to trade Lowry. That won’t happen until July 1st, after the draft. It would likely be Toronto’s pick – 8th before Wednesday’s lottery – that Houston would be after. The Rockets own the 14th pick (again, pre-lottery) and the 16th. It’s hard to see the Rockets wanting anything besides Toronto’s pick in a potential Lowry deal since Jonas Valanciunas and Andrea Bargnani won’t be on the table. DeMar DeRozan’s advanced stats likely don’t impress Morey, who is a huge believer in advanced statistical analysis.

Plus there’s the fact other teams could make better offers. Lowry and Luis Scola nearly became Lakers last season in exchange for Pau Gasol and Gasol is very much on the block again and the Rockets have always coveted him.

As well, Lowry has had injury issues including a torn ACL early in his career and has an edge. He was charged with battery after being accused of throwing a ball at a female referee during the lockout. Lowry apologized, received 100 hours of community service and impulse-control counseling.

However, for years the Raptors have lacked extremely competitive, hard-nosed players and that’s a major reason why they haven’t had much success.

Unless Dragic says he’s not coming back, Lowry’s likely moving somewhere. Would he be OK with supplanting Jose Calderon as starter in Toronto if Calderon is still seeing considerable time, some of it in the same backcourt as Lowry? Who knows.

What we do know is he is not interested in splitting time with Dragic.

“We’re both capable starters. We both want it. It’s going to have to be a situation where they make a decision on one of us.
    Source: Torontosun.com

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm just not that high on Lowry. He doesn't seem like a player who is capable of producing at his current level for the next 4-5 years. Maybe it's his attitude, or the fact that he doesn't excel in any particular facet. I don't know.

I think I would be more excited about targeting Dragic.

Comment

The Raptors don't need to commit to him long term right now.

There is something to take away from this if you read between the lines here. Lowry wants to be a starter. I think he's good enough to be one and he wants it badly enough that he doesn't want to be sitting on the bench watching Dragic next season. Colangelo is a bright guy, he knows this. He doesn't want another PG controversy, been there, done that. So if the rumor is true then what does this tell you about his plans for Jose this summer?

Comment

Agreed on Jose. But I think most of us realized that Jose's time in Toronto was almost up when Colangelo went on the air last season and said he needs to find a PG.

Comment

No Lowry please, he's locker room cancer, i would rather take Goran Dragic or even Jonny Flynn

Comment

Why is he locker room cancer again?

Comment

i don't think Bargs is as untouchable as we all think
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Is Lowry a clear upgrade over Jose? They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I don't see either with a clear edge. They are both good starters, but not elite. Seems like a lateral move to me.

Comment

If you're signing on to Lowry you're doing so with the hope that he continues to improve and grow with your core. Lower, age 25. Calderon, age 30. Who's more valuable to them in two years?

Comment

Calderon is better at running the pick and roll but Lowry is superior at defense, rebounding and 20 years younger.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'd prefer Dragic...I really don't like when players try and get their coach fired
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Why is he locker room cancer again?
                        thead wrote: View Post
                        I'd prefer Dragic...I really don't like when players try and get their coach fired
                        Kyle Lowry wrote:
                        “I don’t think so,” Lowry, 26, said. “I honestly think it would be tough. Things have to be addressed. The situation would have to be addressed.

“If things aren’t addressed coaching-wise, I guess I have to be moved.”
                        http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ut-of-houston/
                        We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Again, i don't agree with any player trying to get any coach fired, but it has to be said, Mchale is a notorious dickhead
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            If you're signing on to Lowry you're doing so with the hope that he continues to improve and grow with your core. Lower, age 25. Calderon, age 30. Who's more valuable to them in two years?
                            I really liked how he took on a leadership role with Houston this season and how he really upped his game...surprised he's only 25, as it seems like he's been in the L for much longer. As Ceez mentioned Jose is better at running the pick n' roll and keeps his turnovers down, but as Brent Barry mentioned during the pregame of the OKC/Spurs game (speaking about Westbrook) you can live with a higher turnover rate for a scoring point guard. The edge would have to go to Lowry, especially since Jose is getting twice the $$

Comment

wow I never heard Mchale was a dickhead, the man is a legend and seems like a nice guy. Who wouldn't want him as a coach??? He would be a nice assistant on our team seeing as our frontcourt guys need some good advice. I think Kyle Lowry is a whiny spoiled brat. If i had to chose between the two I would go with Dragic. Both are clearly not elite point guards (what we should be targeting). But I do think Lowry is a top 15 PG.
                              We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Working...
                              X