Olympics : your predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics : your predictions

So without taking brackets into account, what is your prediction for the Olympics ? Which country do you picture being the main threat to a US repeat ?

France starting 5 is quite interesting :

PG : Parker
    SG : Beaubois
    SF : Batum
    PF : Diaw
    C : Noah

Beaubois is clearly the weakest link, but they have some Euro based players (De Colo for example) to cover. And they're loaded in the paint (Seraphin, Mahinmi, Turiaf).

Spain will really suffer from Rubio's injury, I see this competition being the beggining of the end for the Gasol/Calderon/Navarro/Fernandez generation.

All in all, I'd say :

Gold : US
    Silver : France
    Bronze : Argentina

I'm going for the obvious choices; a Spain vs USA final, 3th and 4th Argentina and France. I see Spain taking the gold medal because they are (much) better at the 4/5 (allthough USA will probably play Durant and Lebron at the 4? but that will be because they are lacking there). Spain got the two Gasol's and Ibaka playing besides Fernandez, Calderon and La Bomba. The USA can't match them on the inside and there are no defensive three seconds calls (which is big). Spain will continue to be a force for years to come with Marc Gasol, Ibaka and Rubio.

Comment

Lithuania Gold
      Canada Silver
      Philippines Bronze
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Pretty soon Canada is going to be a powerhouse.

Kabongo
        K.Joseph
        Wiggins
        T.Thompson
        J.Anthony

pretty sick team

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post

Kabongo
          K.Joseph
          Wiggins
          T.Thompson
          J.Anthony

pretty sick team
          I like your optimism but I am not holding my breath on the senior team being a world beater anytime soon.

Comment

Kabongo
            K.Joseph
            Wiggins
            T.Thompson
            J.Anthony

pretty sick team
            sick to my stomach team
            NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Kabongo
              K.Joseph
              Wiggins
              T.Thompson
              J.Anthony

pretty sick team
              I think wiggins will end up being a shooting guard and bennett would be the starting three in a couple years which to me looks a lot better than joseph and wiggins but really just my opinion
              Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

Neither France, Spain or Argentina will be able to compete with USA this year. That won't be even close I think. Pretty easy Olympics for americans.

Comment

David Stern has been giving some credence to Mark Cuban's under 23 basketball proposal of late. This could be the last Olympics for a while with the NBA's best over the age of 23.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...23-format.html

Comment

Kabongo
                    K.Joseph
                    Wiggins
                    T.Thompson
                    J.Anthony

pretty sick team
                    A. Nicholson as 6th man.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                      A. Nicholson as 6th man.
                      Not to mention, potentially, guys like Cory Joseph, Pangos, Sacre, Liles, Birch... we could have a team where the entire roster is made up of NBA players. Probably not all those guys make it to the NBA, but it's still a huge step forward... if any one of the starters can't make it, there's still more than enough there to field a solid team.

As for this year, I think France is the only team with an outside chance of knocking off the US, but right now the US is still the massive favorite. Bronze is between Spain and Argentina.

Comment

Argentina? In my opinion they are going to be eliminated before semi finals. TOP 3 for me is US, Spain, France. Lithuania can come up with surprise, of course they need to qualify first.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                          Argentina? In my opinion they are going to be eliminated before semi finals. TOP 3 for me is US, Spain, France
                          I have to completely agree with that. Argentinian national team will definitely suck ass. They're just mediocre team now at best with their best players being so old. As I said earlier, team USA will have no rival, will be beating everyone (including Spain and France) by 20-30 pts, that's not even going to be close.

However, the 2nd and 3rd places are very hard to predict. Spain will be much much weaker than in Beijing 2008, only a shadow of that runner-up team, main reasons being Rubio not playing, Pau Gasol being old and rapidly declining in his abilities, Rudy declining as well, Calderon gotten old (I imagine he would be just above average pg in Europe as well), so basically it doesn't look very good for Spaniards, Marc Gasol might become their leader. France though, looks much stronger. From other countries that might as well be included into discussion for 2nd and 3rd places, I imagine Brazil and Lithuania, Greece, Russia (if qualified).
                          Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Mon Jun 11, 2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Canada and USA will be going at it in a couple of years. Wiggins be dunkin all over the US

Comment

nopropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              canada and usa will be going at it in a couple of years. Wiggins be dunkin all over the us
                              hahaha lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X