High Risk - High Reward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Risk - High Reward

Your ideas for a high risk - high reward move?

Mine....sign Greg Oden to 4 years 10million/2.5 million per year (2nd year team option, 3rd year team option, 4th year team option)

But Tim, that's crazy! you are saying. To which I would reply, yup.

BUT

playing in a reserve role 10-15 minutes a game and working with a real
    medical team (headlined by Alex McKechnie) Could give us a solid serviceable big
    for three years.

HIGH REWARD - this has disaster written all over it. But some part of me expects that Oden, while not having the perennial all star career many thought, could still turn into a 12pts 10 boards 2blcks centre. The team that gambles on him will likely be flushing millions down the shitter. But in the off chance he actually recovers and has what will probably be a solid 10 - 12 years, the team that takes that chance could be pleasantly surprised

Feel free to comment on this crazy move or craft one of your own for discussion.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

I am all for risk/reward type moves, but don't really see the point of this Oden move. The Raptors already have Valanciunas coming in next season as a rookie, to become the team's C of the future. I would much rather have a solid veteran backup C, who is content in a backup/mentor role, works hard, focusses on defense/rebounding and would be an ideal role model for JV. I want this type of backup C to be the unsexy, non-glamorous, solid, reliable C; the exact opposite of a risk/reward type player.

On the flip side, the type of risk/reward move I'd like to see BC make is one where he overhauls the roster by trading away a piece or two that has long been considered a future cornerstone of the roster, for a more proven veteran. Something like the #8 pick & DeRozan for Gay. The reward would be Gay coming in and being a consistent contributor on both ends of the court and finally solidifying the SF position, becoming a true young veteran piece to build around. The risk is that Gay has peaked, DeRozan improves significantly and the #8 pick turns into a stud player.

Comment

Greg Oden has played 82 games in 5 years. He hasn't played in two full seasons. Where is the evidence he can even step on a floor anymore and practice, let alone play in the NBA? If you're going to take a flyer on a guy, take one on a player that might actually be able to, you know, play.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Greg Oden has played 82 games in 5 years. He hasn't played in two full seasons. Where is the evidence he can even step on a floor anymore and practice, let alone play in the NBA? If you're going to take a flyer on a guy, take one on a player that might actually be able to, you know, play.
        I'd be willing to bet a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken that Oden plays again most likely in a reserve role
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I don't see the point, we have Pf's and C's coming out our wazooo right now. why would we fill our team with rif raf, or players who we know are going to be bench players long term, before we have a real core that can get us to the playoffs.

let's take a risk on building our core and go after some real starters in the league, and then fill up our bench i.e. like Miami

Comment

Maybe we take a flyer on someone like Gerald Green (low risk, high reward)?

Comment

High Risk, high reward? Draft PJ3.

Comment

This is SO last year !

I think majority of fans around the NBA are not high on Oden anymore. Not only that bt he is a much higher risk at this point then he is reward. other than his size... can the guy even play basketball anymore. he is probably sooo rusty. and becauze of that "IM OUT" . terrible choice, not thought out at all. great idea .... if u wanna just waste our cash.

Also... what has oden done to proove he will be a servicle player in the future ?

Comment

very pointless indeed

Comment

Sign Jeff Green! Draft Marshal or Lillard
                    (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

In answer to your Sign Greg Oden, I say Sign Allen Iverson! (He's gotta be cheaper than Bayless!)
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        High Risk, high reward? Draft PJ3.
                        +1

but i dont actually think there is as much risk with this pick as some people think.

Comment

My understanding is the Oden is already out for the entire 2012-2013 season after he opted for the same surgery as A-Rod and Kobe. So it's not a risk, it's more like sheer madness.

By the time Oden recovers and if the surgery was successful, we can get in line like everyone else. If he can resume his career much like the others who have received similar treatment, and if he can maintain his health (a lot of if's), he'll be a top 3-4 center in the league. At that point it'll be interesting to see what team takes a risk. Personally I'm cheering for him.. I hope he does recover. From what I've read he really just wants to play basketball again.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
                            Sign Jeff Green! Draft Marshal or Lillard
                            Booyah.

Jose/Marshall
                            Demar/Forbes
                            Green/JJ/LK
                            Bargs/Ed/Amir
                            Jonas/Gray/Cat

Would leave us with JJ/LK or Ed/Amir - to upgrade the backup SG spot with a solid vet.
                            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

my thinking explained before everyone writes me off as insane.

Greg Oden if he gets healthy...will be a beast of a center. Everyone agrees on that.
                              I've read that up to seven teams regularly speak with his agent about his health. Now instead
                              of waiting for him to get completely better. Have our team evaluate him and offer him the 10
                              million over four years, using the team option clause for year 2, 3 and 4. Actual risk = 2.5 million,
                              because the other years are not guaranteed.

Outcome A: After coming in halfway through the Raptors season its revealed that Oden will need an additional surgery and we are out 2.5 million

Outcome B: He comes back healthy but multiple surgeries have taken their toll. He is relegated to a backup role, and we get a solid 7'ft 300lbs backup center at 2.5 million

Outcome C: After a shaky first season he rounds into form during the second year of his deal, and starts dominating in way not done so since Shaq (I really don't expect this outcome) and we are forced to either move Bargs and play JV at the 4.

I think of it like venture capitalism. You swoop in purchase a troubled company, attempt to restructure it in order to make it profitable, and make a tidy profit....or....we lose 2.5 million.

2.5 for a backup centre is not at all unreasonable.

Comment

Working...
                              X