Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The case for Rudy Gay to the Raptors: Heisley speaks to rumours (277)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i also don't care about wasting players careers, but they do. no one is going to want to stay here or try hard when they are here if it is always "we just need to wait for a player who can play". i would much rather take a shot with what we have and then blow it up again later. you don't know until you try.
    +1

I am probably out to lunch but near term (1-2) and long term (3-6 years) I can see a very competitive team in Toronto with a couple of big trades and solid signings this summer.

Time will tell but I can see numerous possibilities and opportunities. Is it July yet?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      +1

I am probably out to lunch but near term (1-2) and long term (3-6 years) I can see a very competitive team in Toronto with a couple of big trades and solid signings this summer.

Time will tell but I can see numerous possibilities and opportunities. Is it July yet?
      I'm hoping there's activity before July 1st

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I'm hoping there's activity before July 1st
        Oh yes, me too.

I say, "Is it July yet?" because we won't know all of what happens with the infamous cap space, lottery pick, trades, and main free agent signings.

Comment

• Sign me up. As low risk as taking on a max contract can be...As is, you are getting an elite wing player who still has room to improve. Gay and Demar on the break, call it lob city north

Comment

• Toronto with R.Gay, playoff bound with hope
            Toronto without R.Gay, I'm checking out the 2013 draft lottery rankings in December just like I did this year......

I vote Rudy

Comment

• I just wet myself thinking about a JV block to a Rudy Gay lob on the other end

Comment

• I keep going back and forth on whether I would do a Mayo trade...

IF you could swing a deal for JJ or Kleiza + Amir or Ed Davis + No 8 and/or future protected first round pick/traded picks, I think I would do with it

a line up of

pretty much any pg pairing (Bayless?)
                Derozan/???(Bayless again?)
                Gay/Kleiza or JJ
                Bargs/Amir or Davis
                Valunciunas/???

I think would have a nice balance, especially if we could convince memphis to take Kleiza instead of JJ. I think should be relatively easy and cheap to find backups at the C spot (Gray?) and shooting guard (Bayless?)

If we include Derozan, I'm worried that we don't have the picks or flexibility to then address the huge hole we have at SG. So we've essentially traded the hole we had a SF for the hole we would then have a SG. I haven't done research into the nuts and bolts of how that kind of trade would effect our financial flexibility, (and i'd appreciate it if someone would be happy enough to provide an argument that we could include Derozan and still address the SG spot) When I did an indepth analysis at the end of the 2010 season, I was surprised at how high up on the Gay appeared (this included advanced metrics) but at the same time his is getting basically MAX money. I'd say his contract is comparable to bargs in terms of value, which could be good, bad, or about right.

It seems like I'm flip flopping even is I attempt to right a coherent post.

I guess to sum it up, I hope that BC pursues a trade for Gay, because I do think that there is the potential to get him without giving up too many assets, however, I just hope that BC doesn't give up too much to acquire him, making it a lateral trade (much like the O'meal, Marion, and Turkoglu trades ended up being)
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                  I keep going back and forth on whether I would do a Mayo trade...

IF you could swing a deal for JJ or Kleiza + Amir or Ed Davis + No 8 and/or future protected first round pick/traded picks, I think I would do with it

a line up of

pretty much any pg pairing (Bayless?)
                  Derozan/???(Bayless again?)
                  Gay/Kleiza or JJ
                  Bargs/Amir or Davis
                  Valunciunas/???

I think would have a nice balance, especially if we could convince memphis to take Kleiza instead of JJ. I think should be relatively easy and cheap to find backups at the C spot (Gray?) and shooting guard (Bayless?)

If we include Derozan, I'm worried that we don't have the picks or flexibility to then address the huge hole we have at SG. So we've essentially traded the hole we had a SF for the hole we would then have a SG. I haven't done research into the nuts and bolts of how that kind of trade would effect our financial flexibility, (and i'd appreciate it if someone would be happy enough to provide an argument that we could include Derozan and still address the SG spot) When I did an indepth analysis at the end of the 2010 season, I was surprised at how high up on the Gay appeared (this included advanced metrics) but at the same time his is getting basically MAX money. I'd say his contract is comparable to bargs in terms of value, which could be good, bad, or about right.

It seems like I'm flip flopping even is I attempt to right a coherent post.

I guess to sum it up, I hope that BC pursues a trade for Gay, because I do think that there is the potential to get him without giving up too many assets, however, I just hope that BC doesn't give up too much to acquire him, making it a lateral trade (much like the O'meal, Marion, and Turkoglu trades ended up being)
                  I was really high on Mayo, but I get the feeling Memphis would rather trade Gay and then spread around the $16.4M he's due to make next season ($5-7M of it used to give Mayo a raise). I think Toronto is in a unique position to potentially give Memphis a high lottery pick (#8) AND young/cheap starting talent (DeRozan) AND young/cheap rotation depth (JJ and Davis/Amir) AND significant cap space, in return for Gay (and hopefully #25 pick too).

From Toronto's perspective:
                  - Gay is a huge upgrade over JJ at starting SF
                  - Davis/Amir is essentially dumping a 3rd string PF and clearing up the logjam at backup PF
                  - DeRozan can be replaced via draft/free agency/additional trade
                  - downgrading #8 to #25 could still net a good player (especially if other assets are used to try and move up from #25)
                  - a DD/JJ/Davis - Gay trade would still leave Toronto with about $4M in cap space, as well as their exceptions (MLE & vet) and the Barbosa TPE --> lots of options to replace DeRozan and further improve the roster

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I was really high on Mayo, but I get the feeling Memphis would rather trade Gay and then spread around the $16.4M he's due to make next season ($5-7M of it used to give Mayo a raise). I think Toronto is in a unique position to potentially give Memphis a high lottery pick (#8) AND young/cheap starting talent (DeRozan) AND young/cheap rotation depth (JJ and Davis/Amir) AND significant cap space, in return for Gay (and hopefully #25 pick too).

From Toronto's perspective:
                    - Gay is a huge upgrade over JJ at starting SF
                    - Davis/Amir is essentially dumping a 3rd string PF and clearing up the logjam at backup PF
                    - DeRozan can be replaced via draft/free agency/additional trade
                    - downgrading #8 to #25 could still net a good player (especially if other assets are used to try and move up from #25)
                    - a DD/JJ/Davis - Gay trade would still leave Toronto with about $4M in cap space, as well as their exceptions (MLE & vet) and the Barbosa TPE --> lots of options to replace DeRozan and further improve the roster
                    If DeRozan is dealt to Memphis.. I'd try and get Chandler from Denver as our starting SG. Either him or Mathews from Portland. I think those are two realistic SG's that we could get via trade.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      If DeRozan is dealt to Memphis.. I'd try and get Chandler from Denver as our starting SG. Either him or Mathews from Portland. I think those are two realistic SG's that we could get via trade.
                      That would be awesome - especially Matthews.

Comment

• Via Twitter.coM:

Tim Chisholm Tim Chisholm ‏@timpchisholm

Chad Ford just said via chat Raps looking to package Ed, pick and vet (Jose or Bargs) for Gay. I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt the Bargs bit and…

Tim Chisholm ‏@timpchisholm

…MEM wants cap space in a Gay deal. I think Gay is their best chance at a top-flight SF, will be interesting to see if they can nab him.

Comment

• Encouraging to hear. I think that deep down, we all know that Davis and Calderon are as good as gone (even if we're not going after Gay). But if we include our pick, I hope there's an opportunity to pick up another 1st rounder.

Lastly, I wonder how/where Ford would get this information...

Comment

• Here is the actual Q/A from Ford:
                            http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/44099

Rhett (Toronto)

You still have Dion Waiters going to the Raptors, Chad. But all we keep hearing up here is that the Raptors are likely to move the pick. Any idea who would be available for the 8th pick in the draft?

Chad Ford
                            (1:15 PM)

I agree that the Raptors are looking to move the pick. They've been trying to package it with another young player like Ed Davis and a vet (Bargnani or Calderon). I think they want a big time player on the wing so that they can lure Steve Nash this summer. The guy most people in the league believe they are after via trade is Rudy Gay. If they stay at 8, they want a player who can get to the basket. Thus ... Waiters at 8.

I like the idea of luring Nash by nabbing Gay.. would make a pretty formidable line up. Not sure how Bargs/Calderon fit in Memphis though, especially if Memphis wants cap space.

Comment

• Nash, Demar, Gay, Bargs and JV.

Bayless, Anderson, Kleiza, Amir, Gray

JJ plays based on matchups

I'd be happy to watch that roster grow together for a couple of years

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                                Nash, Demar, Gay, Bargs and JV.

Bayless, Anderson, Kleiza, Amir, Gray

JJ plays based on matchups

I'd be happy to watch that roster grow together for a couple of years
                                Hopefully Scott Machado is available with one of our 2nd round picks as our [potential] PG of the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X