The Case for Kendall Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    Funny how it seems that none of the other talent evaluators from NBA teams share your insights. Bunch of clowns.
    I think what ceez meant is he'd take machado at 37th over marshall at 8th any day of the week.

Basically, the gap between them skillwise isn't such a big one to justify the difference of 29 positions. You get much more value from Machado at 37th than from Marshall at 8th.
    Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Tue Jun 5, 2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

yeah i should have clarified, i meant from a value standpoint.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

i also don't really like Marshall but i thought that was obvious
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
          I think what ceez meant is he'd take machado at 37th over marshall at 8th any day of the week.

Basically, the gap between them skillwise isn't such a big one to justify the difference of 29 positions. You get much more value from Machado at 37th than from Marshall at 8th.
          Nailed it.

And I totally agree.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Personally, I think Machado at 37 would be much more value in the pick and he might be a better pro (that is just my opinion).
            I agree 100%

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              yeah i should have clarified, i meant from a value standpoint.
              Okay, got it. And I agree.

I think Marshall might turn out okay, but there are much better options at #8. I am not a big fan.

Comment

I have to agree with the consensus, Pass on Marshall. There will be better players available at 8 that also fill a "need" more than Marshall does. I would take Marshall only if we had an amazing deal on the table for Calderon, but that is highly unlikely. I don't think a Tyson Chandler for Jose Calderon offer will ever be plausible.

Comment

I watched both Marshall and Rubio frequently and there is not a big difference in their offensive games. Marshall is not just a great passer - he is a borderline genius passer. In the right system - Marshall could have the same impact Rubio has had on O. The issue with Marshall will be how he adapts at the defensive end.

Comment

Haven't watched much college hoops but Calderon's a pretty good passer himself. People talk of Marshalls passing skills, are we talking like calderon style? or way better
                    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Probably better at getting everyone involved. Jose's a pick and roll master but sometimes I find gets a little tunnel vision with it.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                        Funny how it seems that none of the other talent evaluators from NBA teams share your insights. Bunch of clowns.
                        Scouts are loath to risk their jobs by drafting players that didn't play at the same level of competition - comparing apples to oranges. Lots of examples of players who should have been drafted way before or after they were. The numbers and possible speed difference ... would seem to support the assessment at this point. This is my opinion right now but obviously as more information becomes available (Draft Combine, workouts ...) things could change. Isiah Thomas was taken 60th but was in the top ten talk for ROY through parts of the year. Personally I would not have put it out there but other astute observers already let the cat out of the bag. Don't suggest you call posters clowns as its not only very offensive but more a reflection on you than us!

Comment

If BC wants a scorer at #8 put me down for Lillard.

He and Marshall are considered the 2 best PGs in this draft. One of Lillard's negatives is that he played for a small school (Weber) in a lesser conference but he is a scorer. 24.5 pt avg his last year, 51.7% 2pt, 40.9% 3pt. His assists were low...4 but the reasoning is that he was the first option/best player on his team and did. Some have described him similar in style/attitude as a Westbrook the scoring pg that is the preference these days. He ranks 1st in turnover/possession amonst all NCAA pgs (Draftexpress). PnR is also his game and he has a 90% FT%. His on-the-ball defense is very good because of his agility/athleticism but will have to adjust to learning/playing NBA defenses (but who doesnt!). Change of pace and taking it inside he does often with a quick first step. His defender has to guard this which gives his jumpshot a lot of room.

All in all a pretty decent resume I think. Marshall no doubt has his strengths comparatively...size and passing/assists and tougher conference and is a pass first pg style. I have noted that he gets a rap as not a good scorer but some of the games I have seen of him he did quite well taking a shot when it was there and making it.

Lillard however just comes across more dynamic and a couple of his vid interviews I have seen presents him as very confident and well spoken. He feels he can change his game to be more of a distributor (but they all say this dont they?). This is where his workout and interview/due diligence and also the advanced metrics BC supposedly uses will come into play.

Admission: I have never seen him play lol...but the vids look terrific!!

Chad Ford has Portland, Toronto and NO interested in him with Portland possibly taking him 6th. NO I think is 11th.

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-nu...illard-blazers

Comment

Portland has 6 and 11.

NO has Anthony Davis and 10.

Comment

Merci.

When I read about DL I think of Paul George who also came from a not so known college and conference, went 10th. There must be a few GMs kicking themselves if they let him go because of this predisposition. I believe BC would have picked him if he had fallen (this is something I read somewhere) and if true which further speaks to his ability to spot talent in the early going at least.

Comment

Just watched the DraftExpress video on Kendall Marshall. Some highlights:
                                - 'worst case' is Jose Calderon: sounds pretty damn good to me
                                - he shot 43% from 3-point range over his last 13 games or so: that's good (and JC good)
                                - yes, defense is the biggest concern

I like the thought of drafting him: he learns behind JC (incidentally the best player on the Raptors by some statistically measures), and Raptors lock down this position for the next decade with a solid starter and backup. And yes, I take Kendall at #8 over Machado at #37.

Comment

Working...
                                X